U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:44 PM

71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDragon View Post
First let me qualify: I would never want to swallow a lie(such as religion) as a multi-vitamin.
I'm asking a serious question: As an athiest/agnostic, what gets you through in life?
From time-to-time, I get a little down. I get to thinking life can be pointless (I'm not suicidal, just indifferent). I don't eat as well as I should. I don't worry about too much,but I'm a little too careless. What's to worry about? It's only the rule of man. I'm not driven by money or possessions. I don't fear death, homelessness, debt, loneliness(except from my wife)... I love all of my friends and relatives, but I don't have anything in common with them anymore. Basically, I have my wife whom I love very much and my two dogs. Life would be fine if that was all there is for me.
I am not preparing for an afterlife. I live my life like an atheist. Everything I do and don't do, stem from my atheistic philosophy.
I take care of my family. I go to work. I am a law-abiding citizen, who hopes for a better and free-thinking world someday.
But, it can get to feeling a little empty when you think about the big picture.
So, I ask you, what makes you get out of bed each day?
What you and many do not understand, a person can be a true believer and still question some of what we have been taught. I happen to be one of those. there are things I question, this does not make me an atheist or an agnostic. Most things in life are not all black and white: religion being one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 09:48 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,467,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Girls.
Wanting to leave a mark in the world.
Hoping the future holds better days(Even if today is good.)
Working on car.
Learning.
Fun.
New discoveries, tech, events, etc.
That's a good list. However I don't work on my own car.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:19 AM

19,788 posts, read 19,895,713 times
"So, I ask you, what makes you get out of bed each day?"

Curiousity.
What will today bring? Everyday means something new to learn.
May be just some little thing like how to deal with lumpy paint.
May be something important like learning something new about myself that has been responsible for a roadblock to making everyday as enjoyable as it could be...which could be something that causes a question like the op asked.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:36 AM

14,195 posts, read 9,080,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What you and many do not understand, a person can be a true believer and still question some of what we have been taught. I happen to be one of those. there are things I question, this does not make me an atheist or an agnostic. Most things in life are not all black and white: religion being one of them.
Some believers would disagree, feeling that questioning your faith is "the sin of unbelief" and therefore you are not a "true" or at least optimal Christian. I would not have judged you in that way, even when I was a believer -- but I knew and know people who would.

Questioning does not make one agnostic or atheist. Claiming not to know whether there is a god or not makes one an agnostic; not believing in any god(s) of any kind makes you a atheist. If you are not in either of those situations, then you are a theist, with or without doubts or reservations about certain things.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:26 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,346,238 times
Almost anything gives your life more meaning and purpose than religion! You can be passionate about righting wrongs, being the best at what you do, gripping it and ripping it -- sounds like you are in a rut and de-ruttifying is not really a question of being an atheist or not.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:12 PM

40,913 posts, read 18,566,118 times
Even if a non believer was persuaded that believing was going to be beneficial, so what? Can belief just suddenly be turned on by choice despite one's existing conclusions about the cosmos? If I was convinced that believing in Santa Claus was a very good thing for me, I could say that I now believe in Santa, I could join a group devoted to Santa belief, I could cover my walls with pictures of Santa...but I would still be perfectly aware that there is no logical reason to believe in Santa.

I don't really get this debate, it is like arguing whether or not reality is good for you.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:53 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,274,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Even if a non believer was persuaded that believing was going to be beneficial, so what? Can belief just suddenly be turned on by choice despite one's existing conclusions about the cosmos? If I was convinced that believing in Santa Claus was a very good thing for me, I could say that I now believe in Santa, I could join a group devoted to Santa belief, I could cover my walls with pictures of Santa...but I would still be perfectly aware that there is no logical reason to believe in Santa.

I don't really get this debate, it is like arguing whether or not reality is good for you.
Indeed. There's a long list of things I'd like to believe.

My children are immune from diseases, injuries, and malice of all sorts.
My bank account has a $10 million dollar balance.
My 1997 Honda Accord is really a 1967 Mustang fastback.

Oh, well...

More to the point, we need to believe in things that are real as indicated by the preponderance of the evidence. We survive by accurately assessing reality. Is it healthier to boil/purify water before drinking it? Is it best not to be out in the open during lightning storms? Is that a tree trunk over there or is it a pissed-off grizzly bear? Let's weigh the evidence.

Not getting divorced/eating certain foods/charging interest/masturbating/etc. because some ancient bronze age desert tribes claimed that a resurrected carpenter and/or his father (who are one in the same, but not really) said so is simply not logical, for any remotely coherent definition of 'logical'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism