Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 07:24 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,755,095 times

Advertisements

How can Christians even defend this story with a straight face? Seriously can somebody explain how all the Earth's creatures were stored on this ark for 40 days with everything taken care of. I want the sizes of the animals, all of the logistics of this and how it is accomplished. Why didn't God just re-create the animals / creatures again from scratch like he did in the beginning? Everything does not need another to reproduce. What about asexual animals?

Old 01-12-2013, 07:34 PM

694 posts, read 743,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
How can Christians even defend this story with a straight face? Seriously can somebody explain how all the Earth's creatures were stored on this ark for 40 days with everything taken care of. I want the sizes of the animals, all of the logistics of this and how it is accomplished. Why didn't God just re-create the animals / creatures again from scratch like he did in the beginning? Everything does not need another to reproduce. What about asexual animals?
Your animosity is showing. They weren't recreated because doing all of this was partly to show the faithfulness of Noah. I would say there were not nearly as many types of creatures on Earth at that time. Many of the creatures we have now, I would think, probably came from interbreading among existing animals. All of the sea creatures were not on board, I would say anyway.

Charles Sands

Old 01-12-2013, 07:35 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,316,846 times
Quote:
How can Noah's Ark being even remotely plausible?
It's not. Many myths of The Bible are clearly just that--myths. Legend. Symbolism.

Some of it is rooted in history or potential historical events. Many ancient cultures had flood stories (Epic of Gilgamesh has many analogues with the story of Noah) so it may well be that there was a massive, destructive flood in or around Mesopotamia several thousand years back.

Obviously this doesn't mean the story of Noah's ark is literally true. That's nonsense.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,803,393 times
Quote:
Embryos? They took embryos, not animals who were full grown?

Old 01-12-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
It's not. Many myths of The Bible are clearly just that--myths. Legend. Symbolism.

Some of it is rooted in history or potential historical events. Many ancient cultures had flood stories (Epic of Gilgamesh has many analogues with the story of Noah) so it may well be that there was a massive, destructive flood in or around Mesopotamia several thousand years back.

Obviously this doesn't mean the story of Noah's ark is literally true. That's nonsense.
Why is everything from the right always nonesense but we are supposed to bow the great LEFT all the time?

Charles Sands

Old 01-12-2013, 07:43 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,691,802 times
Quote:
How can Christians even defend this story with a straight face? Seriously can somebody explain how all the Earth's creatures were stored on this ark for 40 days with everything taken care of.
My dear Texan, you're missing the most obvious explanation: MAGIC! Anything can be explained with enough magic and the desire to believe in it!

Old 01-12-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
My dear Texan, you're missing the most obvious explanation: MAGIC! Anything can be explained with enough magic and the desire to believe in it!
So, no one has value if they believe in things I cannot prove imperically?

Charles Sands

Old 01-12-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
Your animosity is showing. They weren't recreated because doing all of this was partly to show the faithfulness of Noah. I would say there were not nearly as many types of creatures on Earth at that time. Many of the creatures we have now, I would think, probably came from interbreading among existing animals. All of the sea creatures were not on board, I would say anyway.

Charles Sands
How many creatures exactly? As they say, sometimes the details make all the difference in helping put together all the pieces of the story. It's amazing all the mental gymnastics and assumptions that are made by those that defend the Bible. Assumptions are dangerous things. I have always maintained that if the God of the Bible exists, it really has a large public relations and marketing problem. It apparently does not want to "appear" to settle all of these important questions and doubts that keep those such as myself from buying into belief in a God.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:55 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,589,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
Why is everything from the right always nonesense but we are supposed to bow the great LEFT all the time?

Charles Sands
Why are you making "right" or "left" assertions as if the right is analogous with someone who believes the Bible? The two party system is a sham, and is only there to keep people divided. The people at top on both "sides" are in bed with one another. I would be embarrassed to be associated with anything political in this country.

As to Noah's ark. I don't know how God did it, but if anyone can make it happen, it would have to be the maker of all things.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
How many creatures exactly? As they say, sometimes the details make all the difference in helping put together all the pieces of the story. It's amazing all the mental gymnastics and assumptions that are made by those that defend the Bible. Assumptions are dangerous things. I have always maintained that if the God of the Bible exists, it really has a large public relations and marketing problem. It apparently does not want to "appear" to settle all of these important questions and doubts that keep those such as myself from buying into belief in a God.
Has Dr.William Lane Craig defended the Noah story in a debate with specifics? Any other apologists take a crack at it? A better way of course would be for God to explain it so we dont even need to be kept guessing. I'm not holding my breath for that to happen any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism