U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:52 AM

39,369 posts, read 10,962,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Ganesh*|*Retro & Vintage Tees*|*6 Dollar Shirts
For those who need a shirt. They also have Jesus riding the Dinosaur and the others that will not really spark controversy because I have already found that most people do not get it.
My 10 year old said "That's Charles Darwin on your shirt", even though he had to ask what the cartoonish looking Ichthyostega was called.

Seriously, I have said before, I like that book by Dawkins Blind Watchmaker. I agree that evolution takes it's own path, not as a result of a predesigned idea, but as though a blind watchmaker were putting pieces together without being able to know or see what the final result may be.
Yes, but of course, even that idea is a misleading one because the component are intended for a watch whereas the components for evolution just produced what worked and in increasing complexity until blob 2 ingested blob 1 and thus the hunter and prey arms - race began.

A more watertight analogy might be a blind watchmaker or a million monkeys, having typed the works of Shakespeare, with a heap of components trying bits together until something works. Even that is not very close as you don't get a watch which doesn't have a spring and can't work until it does - the 'Irreducible complexity idea' but the watch is in fact the highly complex cell and the monkeys are changing the watch to a clock, a timer, a stop - watch a grandfather clock, and so they get a bit removed and replaced or a bigger bit added until you end up with a telescope drive, a speedometer and a barometer - all different species.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 10:36 AM

14,198 posts, read 9,115,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDragon View Post
You lasted longer than did I. When he said life evolving on a moon was a bizarre suggestion from you, I couldn't take it any longer.
LOL ... yeah that was a real non-sequitur, wasn't it? He got more and more defensive and his arguments got stranger and weaker with each exchange ... and throughout he completely ignored many points, always going after what he regarded as the weakest or at least the one he had the best bluster for. I also had to work pretty hard to keep things on topic. It was a good exercise for me, I have never done this before, particularly where it was basically one-on-one. I persisted mostly because I was fascinated with how little this branch of the church has changed vs how much I have in the past three decades.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:12 PM

41,296 posts, read 18,643,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
. Much to my surprise he was so threatened by the very idea that he felt it necessary to mention "hydroplane theory" as a possible source of life on other planets being seeded from Earth itself.
The difference, at least at the moment, is that no one is trying to force science classrooms to include the hydroplane theory when discussing the possibility of life outside of this planet.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:38 PM

278 posts, read 255,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The difference, at least at the moment, is that no one is trying to force science classrooms to include the hydroplane theory when discussing the possibility of life outside of this planet.
If you're talking about something like exo-biology, I agree. How can one say this is really a science? But is it being force fed to college students these days? I picked up my old Astronomy book, there's a whole paragraph on the subject.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:43 AM

39,369 posts, read 10,962,304 times
I suppose there is a point in what is acceptable hypothesizing and what isn't. Exobiology is a reasonable idea to test. Unless we look for it, we won't find the evidence for or against. However, the premise is sound. If life evolved here (and the evidence is that it did) could it have evolved on Mars? If life arrived from meteors or comets, couldn't it have arrived on the Moon? These are points worth checking.

Now, while it is easy to say that, if there were sound points for antediluvian civilization or a flat earth or Creationist ID, they should be given serious credit, I have to agree with you that it wouldn't get into the text -books.

That is really because the basic theory is flawed. The science for ID, Atlantis or Flat earth is so fatally flawed that even a reasonable hypothetical paragraph related to those subjects does not belong in a textbook.

Antedeluvian sea- empires, Flat earth and creationism have had decades to make a case. Infact theonly case they had - undisprovable faith -claims - have been gradually discredited and demolished. If they are kept out of the science class and text -books, there is a very good reason why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism