U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 PM

16,108 posts, read 17,930,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
They caught the second bomber alive.

Boston Marathon bomber manhunt: Police nab suspect alive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 11:37 PM

30,914 posts, read 31,804,732 times
Yet another atrocity caused by religion.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:38 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,102,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yet another atrocity caused by religion.
Indeed. Apologists will be apt to say, no, a particular kind of religion. And that point is not entirely meritless IMO. But is not fundamentalism simply religion taken to its "logical" conclusion?

As a former Christian fundamentalist I ask myself, what, if anything, separated us from these "radicalized" kids? Sure, some of us bombed abortion clinics, but those of us who didn't regarded that as immoral and a bridge too far. Most of our violence was verbal.

But there's the rub. We said cruel and vicious things much like the cruel and vicious things that have recently been said by fundamentalists in debates here and on the general religion forum, things like "quit whining about suffering, it's all self inflicted because you don't accept the Truth". And we thought we were completely justified and in the right spewing like that. When you think god is giving you marching orders, is it really that much of a step to take it out of the verbal arena and assault people's personal space by being a cross-carrying street preacher, or assault people physically at abortion clinics, or to decide to "teach them a lesson" if they think they're having fun at a public gathering other than a prayer meeting? Like, say, the Boston Marathon?

I think what radicalizes this toxic ideological stew is resentment at being marginalized. US Fundamentalism has had at least a perceived societal acceptance. As it becomes more and more embattled, I believe its adherents are capable of anything as they circle the wagons and see themselves more and more as in a death-struggle with Satan and his minions. Things like gay marriage and gun control will be the last straw for some. It's bad enough they have to live under (gasp!) a black president.

I think we're in for a dangerous period of polarization over these and other issues, and we won't need to look abroad for inspiration for our worst nut cases.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:53 AM

8,973 posts, read 6,512,801 times
Default I sometimes wonder when these tragic things happen...

... that more people don't realize there is no invisable man in the sky in control of anything. It's all a lie.

Poster sanspeur has it correct.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:43 AM

15,494 posts, read 12,183,422 times
I don't care for churches or any org religion...that being said...

I don't know that, especially, local churches did not rush to offer whatever
the families needed or didn't have special collections to offer to, say, a limb
replacement fund.

Churches are full of "Do Gooders"...and they love publicity...many church
groups probably did give a lot.
My opinion from knowing many Christians and being an ex church goer.
Miss Hepburn

Also, I lived in Boston for many years...:/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism