U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 07:55 AM

242 posts, read 197,313 times

Advertisements

well christianity was the religion of the former nazi germany. i really dont think i could call it the religion of peace.
they enslaved everyone they ever met.

see how that works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 11:28 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,099,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
well its the religion of the former soviet union. i really dont think i could call it the religion of peace.
Huck, you're not listening. Atheism is not a religion. It is a statement of disbelief in gods. Atheists believe all kinds of things, including doing good, the golden rule, and sometimes an afterlife and new age healing crystals. The only thing you can say about an atheist is that they don't believe in god -- or more exactly, an atheist believes in one less god than you happen to.

Atheism cannot therefore be the religion of the former Soviet Union or any other country, since it's not a religion. It happens that Stalin did not believe in God, or at least not in the Georgian Orthodox version of God, and it's true that he had the misbegotten idea that religious persecution was the answer to the ills of society. Or more likely, he cynically used that to distract his people from the ills of their society while not actually believing it per se himself. Stalin was an evil man. People can be evil or good atheists, evil or good theists.

Theists do not have some kind of monopoly on goodness, kindness and the other virtues. It may flatter you to think so, but they don't.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:52 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,792,024 times
Communism is a religon, as is state worship. Also, any ideology that forces people to conform and controls them to hide reality is dangerous. I don't know why not believing in god would impact a person's ethics independently.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:21 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,635,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Communism is a religon, as is state worship. Also, any ideology that forces people to conform and controls them to hide reality is dangerous. I don't know why not believing in god would impact a person's ethics independently.
No, political ideologies aren't religions, unless you don't actually know the definition of the word religion...

Old 04-26-2013, 05:34 PM

15,087 posts, read 12,030,912 times
Quote:
well its the religion of the former soviet union. i really dont think i could call it the religion of peace.
Have you heard of Secular Humanism? It's basically an ideology of peace. The tenets include the rejection of magic and superstition, and to not hurt other living things. It's profoundly atheistic.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:19 AM

7,945 posts, read 4,749,564 times
Quote:
Really? I thought their Union was a Secular one based on Nationalism and Fascist/Democratic Communism.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:15 AM

39,229 posts, read 10,905,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
No, political ideologies aren't religions, unless you don't actually know the definition of the word religion...
I agree that political ideologies are not religions - not in my definition and not in most others. What they can become in autocratic states are Dogmas. Dogma is where we get the views of one powerful person or a party forced on others. Religions can easily become dogmas and (as we have seen) can form autocratic states. That doesn't make religion autocratic, though it is always faith - based which is why its authority (unlike science) has no basis in fact or reason, the state ideology of Hitler, Stalin and Pol pot became dogma, where its authority was imposed by force, intimidation and coercion, not by authority based on fact or reason.

I argue that atheism wasn't the state Dogma but political ideology and it was applied in the same way as a dogmatic and authoritarian religion. It is certainly a warning to atheism to be careful how we handle it but it is no good pretext for saying that we cannot have it as it leads to Stalins and Pol pots. Even less is it a reason for trying to imply that it somehow is 'wrong'.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 AM

1,965 posts, read 5,792,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Anything that pretends something that isn't real is real in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary and worships something as the equivilant of a "divine" quality is basically the same as religon. Karl Marx believed he could predict the future and that utopia is possible. That's even less believable than Scientology to me, and requires a leap of faith. In pratice, it's even more akin to religon where an unquestioning faith in the "great leaders" is necessary and the belief the state can magically solve all problems.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:33 PM

4,891 posts, read 3,981,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Have you heard of Secular Humanism? It's basically an ideology of peace. The tenets include the rejection of magic and superstition, and to not hurt other living things. It's profoundly atheistic.
It is also the bane of Christian fundies, which is why I enjoy it even more. And yes it is a truly peaceful religion. Has not helped me get over the pleasure of seeing Fundies with a Ambrosia artemisiifolia in their distal alimentary canals as a result of my supporting it though.

Buddhism is also a peaceful religion, at least many of the Buddhists I have met here.

Cannot say the same for Christians. While some are very loving peaceful people, some are not. Of course those others will say "Those are not real Christians" while the other others will say "NO, we are the ONLY real Christians"

Secular Humanism holds the sanctity of life for life's sake very highly. It holds that mankind will be saved by man's work, in the hear and now, and that this life, this reality, is all that is important. As a result social betterment is a priority. That which is destructive to the mind and body is discouraged. (which means I do not have to go to church on Sunday mornings)
For more information
Council for Secular Humanism

Old 05-07-2013, 01:35 PM

983 posts, read 1,367,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I've been reading some posts involving the violence between two different religions. And then I recalled the fact that Stalin, a dictator that ordered the death of millions, was an atheist.

Now that I think about it, people who are sure about whether or not a supernatural being or beings exist are violent people, and agnostics are the ones that truly prescribe to the non-religion of peace....

...With that said, were there any agnostics that ordered the deaths of millions?
Agnosticism is a weird position. If you have that frame when thinking about the existence of God, then you need it for everything that can't be proved not to exist. I guess agnostics are also tooth-fairy agnostics, Santa Claus agnostics, fairies-in-general agnostics and what not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism