U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 AM

5,398 posts, read 8,620,477 times

Advertisements

As an atheist currently living in the south, I haven't experienced any problems, but I also don't advertise my thinking. This area is strongly religious, and many aren't tolerant of other ideas. If asked, I'll say I'm Buddhist/Taoist - which is true, and for those who know, this often implies atheism. It usually deflects anyone who asks, and those informed enough to know this, are usually informed enough to not care.

It is difficult to find people of like mind, though. Fortunately, many people don't care to talk about religion and can be friends with those who don't share their beliefs. There is also a small group of atheists who get together periodically, so I have found some others to talk to locally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 11:01 AM

12,368 posts, read 17,252,245 times
I grew up in the exurbs of Atlanta in the 90s/early 2000s as an agnostic Jew. We had a cross burned on my lawn as a kid. My family didn't advertise, but apparently daring to have a menorah, wear a Star of David, not join in Christian prayers at the PTA and before football games with the marching band, and not denying my feelings about spirituality was abhorrent to those around me.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:21 PM

356 posts, read 594,867 times
I am a non believer living in the south. My son goes to a church preschool and most of my social group is somewhat involved in the church. People knowing how I feel about god is not important to me, as long as people don't infringe on my right say what I choose and not practice I have no issues. I don't mind my son being told fairy tales since his preschool still teaches the important stuff, not denying climate science or dinos and stuff like that. I don't see what the problem is living around a bunch of believers they don't bother me, I'm not easily offended or offensive.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:54 PM

3,448 posts, read 2,739,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I used to live in Tennessee, and no one ever bothered me about being an atheist. But I also didn't tell anyone I was an atheist, because I was afraid of what might happen.
Even a hillbilly who drops out of school in grade 3 knows there is a notion for a moment of atheism, otherwise there would be no such thing as belief.

An Atheinsist is a full time moment of belief -in nothingness. The epitome of hope...less. Easy deasy example for useful-ness...anything. How about falsely accused and stuck with a jury of uneducated atheinsists who have a full time pledge to nothingness. Welcome to the world of atheinsistisim.

Last edited by stargazzer; 05-08-2013 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: spelling for my new anti word

Old 05-08-2013, 04:13 PM

NoCapo;29473288]Wow, so angry!
wind away!

I brought it up because education and scientific thought was mentioned by rifleman as something that knocks the feet out from under religion in general.

S

What ? send a memo to all the newspapers in the world with the evidence of such, and you'll be the big cheese for eternity. The new God of the people with the special insights and answers

N

I agree that some believers do understand and agree with, or al least can coexist with scientific consensus. Generally speaking, those believers are less of a problem.

S

What ? some believers? co-exist with science ? less of a problem..?

Guess what, believers understand that the world is a thing under a dominion, of a God. The science translates the language of the physical bible, the world.

So scientists can do nothing but their work and promptly hand it over the the table marked Theist.

Its only the scientists discovery of what does not belong to the scientist...it was not his idea to begin with, he discovers it "another concrete fact and another error...pride, a vice.

N

By the time they get to the point that they are not trying to use ancient texts as a definitive guide to the world around them, believers are generally pretty reasonable, and content to practice their faith personally within a secular framework. I'm cool with that, even though I disagree with their religion. There does seem to be a correlation between holding to a literal interpretation of Genesis and wanting to alter or remove scientific information from schools, and wanting to enforce religious laws and restrictions on us non-believers. That I find very objectionable. No lie there and no error. I'll get to the morality issue in a moment.

S

The schools would all be individually unique. The only way a good and satisfactory approach can be had, is with parent committee's, together with board reps and time for deliberation. Each school is part of a community which people and their youngsters belong to.

Note in above, People and their youngsters, that means exact pushy vocal opinionated idea's arrive out of none of peoples business.

N

Here I absolutely agree. Science cannot tell us anything with absolute certainty. However it is the best tool we have. Unlike religion, it is self correcting and iterative, striving to correct error and improve understanding. Science does not disprove theism, but it can and does debunk specific claims of specific brands of theism. If your faith claims that the earth is 6000 years old, science can provide us with strong evidence that your faith is wrong. If your faith tells you that a scripture is unchanged from its inception, textual and critical analysis can show that you are probably wrong. If your faith makes no real world claims then science has nothing to say about it.

S

to the point, big deal. Mortal issue taking the world by the tails while nitwit scientists are hinting around cloning a Neanderthal, possible in 7 years or so...I'm hoping its a Neanderella and fancy's the scientist's short ones.

N
overwhelmingly identify as theists! The majority of people in prison... theists! People on welfare... theists! The attitudes you are complaining about didn't originate in atheism and are not limited to it. I think that you will probably find that we have roughly the same amount of slobs, thieves, cheats, and lazy people that any other group has. These are issues common to humanity, not one particular group. It is certainly dishonest to blame a tiny minority of unbelievers for the failure of believers to live up to their own ideals.

S

The theists are not perfect, they are human and can be forced in many instance's into thieving back from the takers. This is normal and has been going on for thousands of years. The soulless criminals are easily distinguishable and the key, belongs at the bottom of the ocean, always did and as it has been said for centuries, if it aint broke don't fix it. No parole for the soulless fakes. This hopefully can be addressed as science improves. This time, there is very little talent in science. All fields can only draw from a self centered corrupt moral less society, which has reached an all time high.

N

This one I wanted to save for last, as it is an incredibly insulting and incorrect idea that get spread around a lot. The idea that atheists cannot be moral, or have a moral compass is just silly. Every morality is based on human interpretation. Even if you believe there is a god and that it sets the rules, you only have human understanding and interpretation to guide you. We all have man-made morality, us atheists just don't try to pass off our own understanding as being the mandate of heaven. I personally use a moral framework based on empathy and reciprocity, with an emphasis on individual liberty. It winds up being a kind of libertarian golden rule ethic, which has worked very well for me, and those around me.

S

Nice try but no cigar.

The interpretation in morality or deliberation in the good persevering theist not only joins the belief and reminders -consciously and unconsciously in priorities,

but has a real representing focus out of the belief, which is understood to be 'interested' in the absolutely unabridged progress to be had, in ethical decision and attitude.

Last edited by stargazzer; 05-08-2013 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: edit before more responcib

Old 05-09-2013, 12:37 PM

12,006 posts, read 11,453,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Even a hillbilly who drops out of school in grade 3 knows there is a notion for a moment of atheism, otherwise there would be no such thing as belief.

An Atheinsist is a full time moment of belief -in nothingness. The epitome of hope...less. Easy deasy example for useful-ness...anything. How about falsely accused and stuck with a jury of uneducated atheinsists who have a full time pledge to nothingness. Welcome to the world of atheinsistisim.
Is there anyone in the room that can trasnlate stargazz into English? I underline a bunch of stuff that makes no sense to me. Can anyone explain any of it?

Old 05-09-2013, 03:26 PM

14,276 posts, read 9,407,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Is there anyone in the room that can trasnlate stargazz into English? I underline a bunch of stuff that makes no sense to me. Can anyone explain any of it?
It's not just you.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
If U don't understand what I said then that is of no concern of mine. My entries are reactions to what I read, what I read is usually strange and I like to get strange suggestions out of my head. Thats because I like how my head works. So if you or someone don't like even that, and or can't even translate what it is guess what..? (Go back to the beginning of this post and start all over, or whatever u like , thats the most important. Whats important is how things and writings feel, if it is a spit at the base idea in life and society and what it is, it can start all over because I don't want spit all over my comp, it interferes with my happy little day if I don't wipe it off, given an option and at the same time would rather not come to notice because I like my happy little day. IOW..I don't really care, because this whole deal is a stranger based thing to the 'max.

Last edited by stargazzer; 05-09-2013 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: wanted to get happy little day some curtain time

Old 05-09-2013, 08:13 PM

553 posts, read 1,124,375 times
Getting back to the OP's question. I live in NC, but I keep my atheist status on the DL at work, as there are some folks that would have some issues with it. I have friends who are believers, who do respect my views, as i do their views. I just know when it's not worth getting into a pissing match with people.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:57 PM

I know a top chemist and he told me once that a new scientist from Ireland was joining the effort. He told him after about a year or so that the experience completely changed his life. So the one said to the other hows that ? He replied that there was nothing more he despised and disliked in life then a catholic and said nothing over all the months finding out, that a few of them were Catholic. So they had a big laugh about it and that was that. These things on line and how they function are tailor made for disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or