U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:09 PM

1,769 posts, read 3,867,916 times

Advertisements

This post is a reply to the original posters question.
I live in South Carolina. The land of Dixie!
The most unchristian or religious state in the country.
Ohhhhh they talk the talk. Yea, sure, they sure can talk
in their churches every 1/2 mile in the whole state.
They all go to their clicky little churches, all denominations,
all stick together like private little clubs on Sunday morning.
That is about the extent of the religion of most of the people here.
No kidding.
They don't talk to their neighbors, some of the them don't talk to their
own families.
Their attitudes are "just as long as it doesn't bother me".
They are fine to handle, just don't be real friendly and you fit in just fine.
Most of them are hard working and they mind their own business.
I really don't understand what everyone really thinks about the bible belt.
Very very few live by it.
There are two kinds of people in the whole world. Doesn't matter
where you live.
People who actually care about others, and people who don't.
Yes, it's that simple. I have lived in different areas of the country in the USA
and that is the conclusion I have come up with.
I would never, ever pretend to believe in something that I don't. I don't
care what anyone thinks about my personal beliefs. Most people don't pry
anyway, I just state that I'm not religious at all. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 08:36 AM

11,198 posts, read 11,010,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It's not just you.
I guess it is not just me. It happened with several more posts, and all sg said was go back and read some more. How's that going to make his ramblings make sense?

Old 05-10-2013, 09:15 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,974,938 times
I live in Western North Carolina. It's not that bad since this is a college town. I am deeply disturbed by the attempts made by General Assembly to turn this state to a theocracy

Old 05-10-2013, 11:25 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,092,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I guess it is not just me. It happened with several more posts, and all sg said was go back and read some more. How's that going to make his ramblings make sense?
Well he basically said he doesn't give a fig if anyone understands what he wrote. I wonder if the TOS should include a prohibition against using a public message board for private journaling but I suppose it would be hard to enforce.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:51 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,195,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Even a hillbilly who drops out of school in grade 3 knows there is a notion for a moment of atheism, otherwise there would be no such thing as belief.

An Atheinsist is a full time moment of belief -in nothingness. The epitome of hope...less. Easy deasy example for useful-ness...anything. How about falsely accused and stuck with a jury of uneducated atheinsists who have a full time pledge to nothingness. Welcome to the world of atheinsistisim.
I'm going to assume English isn't your first language, which is fine. But I have no idea how your post relates to mine.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:45 PM

40,100 posts, read 26,767,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Is there anyone in the room that can trasnlate stargazz into English? I underline a bunch of stuff that makes no sense to me. Can anyone explain any of it?
I have the same difficulty . . . but I believe he sincerely is trying to communicate. English is clearly not his first language . . . but he seems to believe that he is very fluent in it and takes offense if we indicate that he isn't. I think he is trying to create idioms . . . as well as employ existing ones. Combined with his incoherent translations into English it becomes almost impossible to understand. I do believe he is sincere, though.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:37 PM

4,728 posts, read 4,477,891 times
As a native Southerner who has lived in various Southern states my whole life, I have a hard time believing claims of mistreatment because of anyone's religious beliefs or lack of religious beliefs. I do not know what my neighbors believe, nor do I care. I have never seen a cross being burnt on anyone's lawn or heard a verbal insult based on religion.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:38 PM

6,491 posts, read 5,243,461 times
I'm an atheist in not only a southern but a small southern town. Fortunately, I don't have the word "atheist" stamped on my forehead (not yet!, lol) so I generally get by just fine. But when the subject comes up, people have given me some strange looks. It's pretty much supposed to be a given that everyone in this town is a Christian or some type of theist at least, so when I tell them I'm an atheist, they literally cannot believe it. I actually had a conversation with one Christian who insisted that deep down I knew there was a God. I just smiled and changed the subject.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:41 PM

4,728 posts, read 4,477,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I'm an atheist in not only a southern but a small southern town. Fortunately, I don't have the word "atheist" stamped on my forehead (not yet!, lol) so I generally get by just fine. But when the subject comes up, people have given me some strange looks. It's pretty much supposed to be a given that everyone in this town is a Christian or some type of theist at least, so when I tell them I'm an atheist, they literally cannot believe it. I actually had a conversation with one Christian who insisted that deep down I knew there was a God. I just smiled and changed the subject.
I think many people have trouble believing that someone does not share their beliefs, but this is not the same as persecution. Most people, even in the South, are pretty much live and let live today.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:19 PM

3,448 posts, read 2,680,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I'm going to assume English isn't your first language, which is fine. But I have no idea how your post relates to mine.
Call the enquirer we have intuitiveness touchdown. One small step for intuitiveness, and a couple of extra bucks for the enquirer. Wow I only mumbled to my parents and family till about 4 or so until when I saw my first brunette anyway with the idea, fear and behav is what it is and part of reasoning things out in different ways.

Last edited by stargazzer; 05-12-2013 at 11:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or