U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 12:12 PM

541 posts, read 980,428 times

Advertisements

3 more non-believers here in GA. Am friends w/other non-believers. I home-schooled for awhile. When I was homeschooling, I kept my mouth shut just to keep the peace and have access to the programs some of the religious groups offered. Most of the groups were OK w/non-believers but some weren't.

Now, it amost never comes up. If it does, I state I am not a Christian. Most people go, OH, and we change the subject. Or they ask me what I believe and I tell them. No biggie!

I recently joined an Humanist group and met one guy who called himself a Celtic-Daoist, Celtic cause he liked to celebrate solstice/drink beer and Daoist, cause he believes we can't understand the language of god. He is a retired rocket scientist. He told me something interesting about Huntsville, AL. He stated because of NASA influence in Huntsville you have a little enclave of non-believers in AL. Never knew that about Huntsville!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 10:31 PM

734 posts, read 1,476,220 times
The subject got brought up at my workplace the other day in Arkansas, and to my surprise, both the person I was talking to and the other employee working were both Atheists.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:41 PM

439 posts, read 821,904 times
I live in a small town in MS. My DH, family members and friends, although Christian, are of the nonjudgmental sort and the topic of religion rarely comes up. My pets don't seem to care either.

At work, my students are nosy about such things. The school is almost uniformly Christian of some kind, though there are more atheist students running around these days than there used to be. The students see all of the other teachers at church and get curious why I don't attend. At first, I would just tell them it was none of their business. But eventually, since everyone else wears their religion on their sleeve, I started telling them I wasn't religious if they pestered me about it. That seems to satisfy their curiosity and they don't care anymore afterwards. I try to avoid using "atheist" because it is inflamatory to them (not in a bad way, it just provokes a lot more off-topic discussions than the term "non religious" does). A lot of them are fairly open-minded, so I think the stigma of being non-Christian is starting to wear off.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:04 AM

39,621 posts, read 11,053,326 times
Interesting post. There may be a lot more atheists in the South than we supposed. If they should use the 'not religious label' that seems more acceptable than 'atheist' (1) they may find it safe to Come Out. When there are enough of them to hold off a seige, they can use the 'aythayist' term.

(1) 'Agnostic' won't do as that translates into Theist as 'believe in God but am looking for a denomination'.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:15 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,405,977 times
Wink Simple Question: simple answer!

To answer your simple-enough OP question "Any atheist living in the southern US?"

The sure and certain answer?

No. Not a one!

There. Nailed it right off!

Old 05-28-2013, 03:31 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,980,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
To answer your simple-enough OP question "Any atheist living in the southern US?"

The sure and certain answer?

No. Not a one!

There. Nailed it right off!
No atheists in hellholes

Old 05-28-2013, 05:49 PM

14,198 posts, read 9,135,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Interesting post. There may be a lot more atheists in the South than we supposed.
There may, at least, be more people fed up with Bible Belt old-time religion than one would think. In looking up some facts and figures regarding a response to thread elsewhere about the prospects of liberal Christianity, I was surprised to find that Unitarianism grew 15% in the last decade and took that growth disproportionately from the South, of all places.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
No atheists in hellholes
Says who? You? DH, decorated combat veteran USMC, first Iraqi conflict. I have his journal from this time in his life. His writing is shaky cause he was scared ********! Nowhere in the journal does he mention god.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:56 AM

39,621 posts, read 11,053,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cislga View Post
Says who? You? DH, decorated combat veteran USMC, first Iraqi conflict. I have his journal from this time in his life. His writing is shaky cause he was scared ********! Nowhere in the journal does he mention god.
Check his 'about me' - right at the bottom, where it says 'religion'

Old 05-29-2013, 11:15 AM

Ok, I'm confused. Maybe no atheists in hellholes, cause atheists don't believe in hell? That's all I can think of!

Maybe he'll come back and clarify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or