Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 11:46 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times

Advertisements

Maybe. If I might hazard a guess it was a quip on no atheists in foxholes. Which you had in mind. the suggestion being that the South is a bit of a hellhole (From what I saw in the travelogues it looks very nice) and you won't find atheists there. In fact there are probably a good number. They only venture out at night....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 07:38 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Maybe. If I might hazard a guess it was a quip on no atheists in foxholes. Which you had in mind. the suggestion being that the South is a bit of a hellhole
That was the idea, yes. I was referencing the 'no atheists in foxholes' quote (which I ABSOLUTELY don't believe to be true) and calling the South a hellhole for the religious conservatism and the repressive policies (especially the ones that have been coming out of NC lately). I'm sorry that I was misunderstood.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:13 PM

181 posts, read 607,270 times
I'm an atheist in the FL panhandle. When I'm in work situations, or with my daughter's friends' parents, I'll simply state that I'm "non-religious" and then change the subject, or sometimes ask where they attend, what's it like, etc.

I have vast biblical knowledge and when individual subjects come up, I might offer something to the discussion, not usually in a snarky way, but in a way to bring light to the subject. For instance, a lot of my coworkers went to Chik fil a to counter the anti-gay protests and I joked that I was going to a protest in front of Red Lobster with a "sinners repent" sign. The no shellfish and mixing of cloth fibers is in the same chapter as the no gays stuff in the bible. They usually counter with, "well that's old testament stuff, so we can eat shellfish and wear clothing of mixed textiles". Then I say, "oh, so it's ok to be gay?" then they say no, there's one new testament verse about it, but then I counter with the part where Jesus said that he wasn't there to abolish the old laws, but to uphold them and get rid of the hypocrisy and money-greed stuff.

I also never share how I vote in elections, but I'll have discussions on individual issues. I don't usually come out with, "I think this or that is wrong and this is why..." type of discussions, but when someone states something like that and I disagree with them, I'll just ask questions about it. I make sure to keep my tone civil and ask things in an innocent sort of way. There was a ballot initiative in FL that didn't pass but would have allowed for more government money to go to religious institutions. A lot of co-workers were for it. I simply asked, "Gosh, could that mean that we will also give tax money to Muslim schools and mosques?" That made people pause. A few said, "obviously not." I asked if there was an exemption made and then read through the proposed amendment and said, "wow, I don't see any denomination mentioned. How are they going to differentiate?".

I believe in being a representative of the non-religious/atheists and showing that I do have a strong sense of morals and ethics that I live by, simply by choice--not out of fear of hellfire and damnation.

I want to make people think, but not to think badly about themselves. The one co-worker I've "come out to" I was sure to explain that I was once a very devout Christian, but I started to have some questions regarding the treatment of women in the bible, evolution, etc so I began an even more thorough study of scripture and at first was horrified and saddened that God was so mean, but then simply lack of logic, continuity, etc brought out my doubt and eventually my disbelief.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:39 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Thanks you. There again 'Not very religious' seems to work. It is accepted where 'Atheist' seems to ignite a fuse. Maybe the key really is that it's ok to be fed up with organized religion, so long as you don't deny God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism