U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2013, 02:18 PM
 
2,848 posts, read 4,241,574 times
Reputation: 2110

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You contribution would be relevant if anyone was arguing that they objected to being forced to read the Bible. In that no one has made such an argument, the suspicion is that you have missed the main issue here. It is a question of whether or not the first amendment is being violated. Does the placement of the Bibles constitute a state endorsement of religious views?

And btw.....atheists do not believe in the devil either, there is no such thing as a devil atheist, that would be an oxymoron.
Again nobody forced anybody to read the Bibles. However, this is a free country and people have the right to be religious even if it's on government property. Just as you have the right to not be religious on gov property; believers have the right to believe. I say atheists should move because America is a democracy and the majority is religious.

An oxymoron? More like an accurate description. Devil atheists are the ones who are on the fringe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2013, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
40,997 posts, read 18,573,926 times
Reputation: 18678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Again nobody forced anybody to read the Bibles. However, this is a free country and people have the right to be religious even if it's on government property. Just as you have the right to not be religious on gov property; believers have the right to believe. I say atheists should move because America is a democracy and the majority is religious.
You still are posting as though you have no understanding of what is being discussed. None of the issues you raise above have any relevancy here. No one is arguing that people cannot be religious on government property. No one is arguing against the right to believe whatever one wishes. That you seem to think that these are issues being discussed is a puzzlement.

The law of the land may be found in the first amendment. It states unambiguously that the government is not to be in the religion business. It cannot start one, it cannot suppress one. This law was crafted using a democratic process. If you wish to live in a theocracy with an official state religion, then it is you who needs to move because the US certainly is not and never has been a theocracy.

Your posts suggest someone with zero toleration of those who hold different beliefs. Our government was designed to permit all such beliefs. You are badly confused as to the nature of our government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2013, 03:14 PM
 
16,102 posts, read 17,903,536 times
Reputation: 15895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Again nobody forced anybody to read the Bibles. However, this is a free country and people have the right to be religious even if it's on government property. Just as you have the right to not be religious on gov property; believers have the right to believe. I say atheists should move because America is a democracy and the majority is religious.

An oxymoron? More like an accurate description. Devil atheists are the ones who are on the fringe.
LOL. They can bring their own bible to read. They don't have to place Bibles in the cabins on public property. They can, of course, place them in hotels *if* the owner of the hotel does not object.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2013, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Canada
124 posts, read 120,082 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I say atheists should move because America is a democracy and the majority is religious.
An oxymoron? More like an accurate description. Devil atheists are the ones who are on the fringe.
Devil atheists?*facepalm* We don't believe in god so logically we wouldn't believe in the devil.
You want Atheists to leave? We already have a place called "reality."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2013, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
83 posts, read 121,211 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooshi View Post
Devil atheists?*facepalm* We don't believe in god so logically we wouldn't believe in the devil.
You want Atheists to leave? We already have a place called "reality."
You're not dealing in reality because the US is 90+% religious and every President in US history, has been religious. In reality, atheists are a radical fringe element that wants to dictate the masses.

The US Constitution states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of a religion."

Well, in the Georgia case, Congress is not making any laws respecting the establishment of a religion. Somebody just placed bibles in cabins. In my view, this boils down to atheists trying to infringe upon religious freedom. That's not very Democratic and, therefore, not very American. The best thing for you people is to just move to Antarctica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2013, 01:04 PM
 
3,404 posts, read 2,250,975 times
Reputation: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingtonHenry View Post
Well, in the Georgia case, Congress is not making any laws respecting the establishment of a religion. Somebody just placed bibles in cabins. In my view, this boils down to atheists trying to infringe upon religious freedom. That's not very Democratic and, therefore, not very American. The best thing for you people is to just move to Antarctica.
Emphasis mine...

It is a good thing for everyone's religious freedom, yours included, that your view is not that of the constitutionally established courts who are diligently doing their job of interpreting the constitution.

If the state park want to allow anyone to place literature in the cabins, they are allowed to do that. The cabins would probably be quickly swallowed up in advertisements, but that would be equitable. An arm of the government showing religious favoritism whether by law or executive fiat has been deemed by the courts, the rightful interpreters of the Constitution, to be an unconstitutional establishment of religion. The 14th amendment make sit binding on state governments as well as the federal government.

You don't have to like it, but your only real recourse here is to try to either amend the constitution to get rid of the establishment clause, the 14th amendment, or deny citizenship to unbelievers. Good luck with that.

-NoCapo

P.S. Not moving to Antarctica. Way too cold!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2013, 05:07 PM
 
16,102 posts, read 17,903,536 times
Reputation: 15895
Well, they opened a big can of worms and now:

Group to give Ga. an atheist book for every Bible in state parks | The Daily Caller

Quote:
After Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal overturned a removal of Bibles in the state park cabins, the group American Atheists announced Friday that it intends to send the state atheist material to be placed alongside each Bible.

The group said it intends to provide the Georgia Department of Natural Resources with literature like ”Why I Am Not A Muslim” by Ibn Warraq; “Why I Am An Atheist” by Madalyn Murray O’Hair; “god is not Great” by Christopher Hitchens; and “The God Delusion” by Richard Dawkins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2013, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
40,997 posts, read 18,573,926 times
Reputation: 18678
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It isn't hard to see where this will be going. There will be incidents where the atheist literature is stolen, defaced, covered in notations like "Lies!" or destroyed by offended zealots, probably leading to retaliatory attacks on the Bibles by the atheist militants, then a mess as each side rushes to try and out donate the other, maybe groups from either side organizing boycotts of Georgia's parks.....They have opened Pandora's box, found a can of worms and thrown it into a hornet's nest.

.......which is why the idea of separation of church and state was a good one. The policy should be "No thanks, the State of Georgia has no interest in assisting in the promotion of any religious views. Visitors to the parks are welcome to bring and read whatever religious or philosophical literature they wish, but the state will not be providing any."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2013, 04:08 AM
 
39,120 posts, read 10,849,315 times
Reputation: 5089
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
That's the way it's done. Every time the Christians try to use the freedom of speech ploy to push their religion at people then everyone else gets to push their view on religion, too. In the end they with withdraw their gambit rather than free publicity to atheism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2013, 04:28 AM
 
Location: Southern NC
1,920 posts, read 4,348,056 times
Reputation: 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingtonHenry View Post
You're not dealing in reality because the US is 90+% religious and every President in US history, has been religious. In reality, atheists are a radical fringe element that wants to dictate the masses.

The US Constitution states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of a religion."

Well, in the Georgia case, Congress is not making any laws respecting the establishment of a religion. Somebody just placed bibles in cabins. In my view, this boils down to atheists trying to infringe upon religious freedom. That's not very Democratic and, therefore, not very American. The best thing for you people is to just move to Antarctica.
Many people "claim" to be religious.
I personally watch actions and decide if someone is religious or not.
By your comments, you are not as religious as you claim.

I don't see the point in having bibles in hotel rooms, or wherever...
If someone is religious, they should have their own bible handy. Right?

And BTW...myself, and the millions of other Atheists in the US are taxpayers, we aren't going anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top