Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:16 PM

6 posts, read 28,979 times

Advertisements

Someone help me out. I want to eventually move out of Texas - I can't stand it. I'm a liberal, and an atheist, and I don't feel this will ever be my home - in fact I KNOW it never will be. I don't like it here period. That said, I'm researching because even if I can't do it immediately, it's important to get all of the facts now so that when I would be ready to move, I will be prepared.

So which state(or states) is a good one where no one gives a crap if you're atheist, and has a few open atheists who don't have to stay in the closet? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 08:19 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,588,559 times
In the latest Pew survey on the issue Vermont and New Hampshire, counted together because of their size, were ranked as the least religious states.

I can confirm from my experience that i never get the slightest negative attention for being an atheist.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:26 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,233,576 times
The D.C. metropolitan area is very liberal. Plenty of atheists. Tons of atheist Unitarian-Universalists in northern Virginia. Outside the Beltway, though, look out.

The Bay area of California would probably work, too.

Here's a neat blog entry about it, complete with a map.

[URL="http://friendlyatheist.com/2009/01/30/top-10-mostleast-religious-states-in-the-country/"]Top 10 Most/Least Religious States[/URL]

Old 03-05-2010, 09:26 PM

307 posts, read 1,178,786 times
I'm in Texas and somewhat a liberal and nobody gives a crap that I'm an atheist. How is it a factor where you are? Just curious.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:27 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,339,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
The D.C. metropolitan area is very liberal. Plenty of atheists. Tons of atheist Unitarian-Universalists in northern Virginia. Outside the Beltway, though, look out.

The Bay area of California would probably work, too.

Here's a neat blog entry about it, complete with a map.

Top 10 Most/Least Religious States
I live in the DC area and I concur it is very nonreligious. I work down south during the week and it is night and day.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:23 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,431,982 times
I struggle with a lot of the same issues where I live. It's interminably difficult to live and work in an area where much of society has false impressions about how you live your life or on who and what you are. There are a lot of false impressions out there from a generally uneducated public about who and what someone is because of a label.

I'm pretty much a very easy going, laid back kind of guy and I tend to get along with most people. I don't push my agendas on others and I normally keep to myself even when conversations I completely disagree with are going on. I've found that by interjecting my viewpoints amidst a group of people I largely disagree with turns me into someone who feels like I have to defend who and what I am against a pool of sharks.

It becomes frustrating because in some cases questions start flying left and right. A lot of it seems like an effort to "trip me up" or say "I don't know" so the sharks can feast on the idea that they're right. It's easy to get flustered when this happens and even easier to lose your temper out of frustration and feelings of ostracism.

It would be nice to move to a location where my points of view weren't seen as something so different, out of the norm, or in some cases even hated. But on the other hand you have to make due with where you live and the people that are around you. No matter where you go, there will always be someone who disagrees with you. Case in point, I tend to disagree with many religious ideologies and socially conservative ideals where I live. And, yeah, I've probably made a few of the people I've spoken with here rather squeamish when I tell them some of my points of view.

I've found that the best way for me to cope with it is to be honest about who and what I am but not smug or arrogant when talking to others about it. I have learned to be almost super-humanly patient in those scenarios and let the false impressions, grievances, and other negative stuff slide off my back. In so doing, I am still able to voice my opinion without there being such a whiplash of negativity in my direction.

Then again, if I had the opportunity to leave, I probably would. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I will for a very long time, if ever.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:49 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,689,615 times
^^Excellent post. I almost always try to avoid discussing religion or politics in my day to day life, but even without getting into the discussion I have to let many comments I hear roll off my back. If I didn't I'd be getting into arguments almost constantly.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:53 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,586,427 times
Bigger cities, no matter where they're located are generally more liberal than small towns and rural areas although Dallas seems to be an exception to the rule. There are also pockets of more liberal areas in which atheism wouldn't be a problem at all, especially in cities that have universities. Western Washington is a good place, I lived there for many years, and I think most of New England would also be a good choice. For myself though, I know that there would be many factors to take into consideration and not just how liberal or open to atheism a state might be. The cost of living, climate and a number of other issues would be just as important if not more important in determining where I'd want to live.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:27 AM

680 posts, read 1,380,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
I'm in Texas and somewhat a liberal and nobody gives a crap that I'm an atheist. How is it a factor where you are? Just curious.
I'm curious about this as well. Austin was the home of Madeline Murray Ohare, possibly the most outspoken atheist in modern American history. There is a large and thriving atheist community here. The Atheist Community of Austin

Oregon used to rank as the least religious state based on church attendance but the New England states and the Bay Area would clearly be good options as well.

My general feeling is that "God" or "Not God" is unimportant. However, it's not enjoyable to live in an area where one is constantly confronted by the assumption that you agree with the general religious beliefs of others. I imagine it's the same as being gay in an area where everyone assumes you're straight because there are so few gays.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:10 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,916,892 times
Put me in the "atheist Texan and rarely have any issues at all" camp. People I work with know I'm an atheist, people in the community, most of our friends, some neighbors don't like how worldly we are, but they are like that with everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism