U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 10:50 PM

734 posts, read 1,470,714 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one here who is a fan of some Christian music and movies? As I've displayed several times, I am an Atheist, but I actually do enjoy several Christian Rock bands along with some Christian movies. The movies I enjoy a bit less because I feel they don't try too hard to appeal to those who aren't Christians. You can't really find many Christian movies that avoid basically shoving "God" in your face. On the other hand, it seems like to a lot of Christian Rock bands, music is music. Just because they are Christian Rock bands does not mean that they need to sing about God in every song. I feel like their music is definitely a step up from all this rap and hip hop that can't find anything to talk about other than sex, drugs and alcohol. It brings hope to a world that is slowly falling apart and turning into non stop violence. Skillet, Thousand Foot Krutch, The Letter Black, Red...and several others. They are able to be Christian Rock bands without shoving their religion into your face. I'm not sure I could ever go to one of their concerts, but I do enjoy their music. I feel like a lot of Christians find it strange that Atheists actually enjoy Christian music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 11:07 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,805,910 times
I don't think it is strange. If a melody sounds good it doesn't matter to me who is playing it. If someone has a good voice I don't care are about their beliefs. Heck, I hardly know the words to most songs I like. There are plenty of christmas songs that I really enjoy listening to. I always look forward to the 24 hour christmas radio stations that come on every year.

I'm not sure what exactly counts as a christian movie. But if it has good acting, a good story line and isn't directly preaching to me I'm sure I would like it.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:07 PM

41,113 posts, read 18,599,788 times
A good tune is a good tune regardless of the genre. I've gone around with neighborhood Christmas carolers because I enjoy singing, there wasn't any requirement that I had to be sincere about the lyrics, just a willingness to sing. I especially love "Oh Holy Night" and am fond of a number of others. Of course I am sick to death of some of them, not because they are bad songs, but because they lose something after the first ten thousand plays.

And if the Christians are right about everything, then I assume that the people responsible for "Little Drummer Boy" will be spending eternity hopping on the coals.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:11 AM

39,203 posts, read 10,880,280 times
They say the devil has all the good tunes. It certainly doesn't have all the best music. The stuff I listen to very often has a heavy Christian input and the choral stuff of course is very often church music - especially the earlier stuff.

I don't deny that I sometimes grimace at the religious sentiments expressed in the music, though if it is in Latin, I can sideline the message and just enjoy the music.

As to the kind of music to which you referred, this kind of challenging society was the case even in my young day (that was when people still believed in a flat earth) and it looked like society was collapsing. It really is a phase the kids go through but when they get a house, kids and car of their own, they become the society they were rebelling against.

What I'm saying is, society isn't collapsing just because what is now called music is engaged in a sort of shock of the iconoclast arms race. In fact, nicey -nicey Christian rock bands sounds, not just as irrelevant as the ballad of Bilbo Baggins, but too settled too soon. As John Barbirolli (conductor) said, the young must have an excess of everything. If not, what are you going to pare off as you get older?

Oh yes, movies. I remember one set in Vietnam with a confused young grunt saying 'I know that God has a plan for me...(but I don't know what) and mel Gibson with a huge persuasive grin on his face saying 'Why don't we ask him?' Translated into English 'Let us pray'. don't know why, the younker was a believer already.

No. I likes my moovies showin' religion up ta be a crock. Which is what it am.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:17 AM

3,881 posts, read 7,312,942 times
I do enjoy some gospel music and that is because my mom used to play it when I was a child.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:37 AM

3,404 posts, read 2,252,501 times
To be honest, in the CCM or christian rock genres there is not much that I can still appreciate. My opinion is that much of the Christian music industry is simply based on me-too music and poor songwriting. I was incredibly disillusioned when I first heard Ministy and realized that Mortal, my favorite Christian industrial band who I thought was groundbreaking, was essentially doing shoddy reworks of Ministry. Skillet frankly irritates me, because they are following the "be all things to all men" ideology and changing artistically and lyrically to try to slip their message in under the radar (or keep selling albums and make more money). They were not all that bad, 15 years ago, but they are still trying to change to be on the cutting edge to lure more converts. The lack of musical and artistic integrity bugs me. Petra is another like that, that is more of an evangelism vehicle than art.

On the flip side, there are still a few that I do like. Chagall Guevara, the Choir, the Vigilantes of Love all made good art, regardless of their religious viewpoint. I have a much greater appreciation now than I did as a young evangelical for the classical religious pieces. I do love me a good Ave Maria, and my wife and I got to see the St Johns Passion at St Martin-in-the-Fields which was really nice.

I have also noticed that I have more tolerance for the music of unfamiliar religious or cutural traditions. Reggae, Qawwali, Native American music, even Spirituals and the religious influences in Bluegrass and mountain music don't bother me so much. I tend to feel like many of these traditions are much more artistically true to themselves than CCM, which ends up being a chameleon wrapped around churchy pablum. I even prefer hymns to most of it...

-NoCapo

Old 05-28-2013, 07:42 AM

12,239 posts, read 9,905,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
Am I the only one here who is a fan of some Christian music and movies? As I've displayed several times, I am an Atheist, but I actually do enjoy several Christian Rock bands along with some Christian movies. The movies I enjoy a bit less because I feel they don't try too hard to appeal to those who aren't Christians. You can't really find many Christian movies that avoid basically shoving "God" in your face. On the other hand, it seems like to a lot of Christian Rock bands, music is music. Just because they are Christian Rock bands does not mean that they need to sing about God in every song. I feel like their music is definitely a step up from all this rap and hip hop that can't find anything to talk about other than sex, drugs and alcohol.
T.I. - LIVE YOUR LIFE LYRICS

Old 05-28-2013, 02:40 PM

14,197 posts, read 9,092,754 times
In my youth I was a film buff and briefly flirted with going to Rhode Island School of Photography to take up commercial cinematography. It was the heart of my theist days, and most of the Christian film output was pretty low budget and cheesy at the time. I have no idea if it's improved -- probably has to some extent. I remember a big church event where they showed a biopic of singer Dave Boyer and I recall that it was one of the early video-to-film transfer efforts out of Gospel Films in Muskegon, MI ... the technology was crude enough at the time (early 1970's) that you could see analog artifacts in the darker areas of the images, etc., but I would suppose they saved a bundle doing their editing in the video domain and going to 16mm only for the final print. It was about his conversion to Christianity and the film was a run-up to an altar call. I also recall the sound track had a fair bit of generic jazz music on it and that this made my pastor uneasy. If it wasn't Bill Gaither Trio or John W. Peterson tunes or traditional hymns it was suspect.

Composer and arranger Fred Bock put together some of the best piano arrangements of new and old evangelical church music, it was quality stuff that could hold its own with anything secular. In fact I think he made money on the side scoring films and such. He died tragically some years back during a botched kidney stone treatment. Heck of a way to go. The sad / funny part was that a friend of mine has been approached several times by Bock's publisher to produce some arrangements in Bock's style but the publishing house or at least the Christian retail channel would have a cow if they knew that my friend is both gay and agnostic, despite being a church musician of some note.

In fact that reminds me of another oddity, for some reason most professional pipe organists are gay, and I've always wondered to what extent the church is willfully ignorant or compartmentalizes a bit of tolerance in exchange for some real talent. Then again it tends to be the liberal churches that can afford to buy and maintain pipe organs or even credible digital replicas. The evangelicals tend to have broken down old frequency divider spinet organs plaid by some matron who has broken off half the pedals with her lead foot.

At any rate, not all art within the church, even the evangelical world, is moribund or amateurish. Although in the evangelical world I'd say it mostly is.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:27 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,974,938 times
I find enjoyment in some classic hymns, but not in any 'modern' Christian music. I grew up as a Catholic, so a lot of the Protestant hymns that many of you may be sick and tired of from your formative years are new to me.

Les Miserables is one of my favorite books and musicals, and it's hard to find a work of fiction (other than the Bible ) that's so heavy-laden with Christian imagery.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:48 PM

9 posts, read 9,326 times
wow as someone who grew up with his brother blasting Christian Music, I only Listened to DC Rock with enjoyment. "what if i stumble what if i fall, what if i lose my way and make fools of us all, will my life continue when my walk becomes a crawl" is poetry, which we all can identify with. Steven Curtis Chappman was heart-felt, but the overall sound of the Christian Rock borders Creed and some irritating sounds of woe played repetitiously to melodrama, for people believing in life everlasting in Heaven, youd think its be explosive, but generally it seems morbidly nasal. love ave maria, dig monk chant, christmas music that sings about true hope is delightful, o holy night, o come all ye faithful, just inspiring, amy grant is a family classic, "as children we believe the grandest sight to see is something lovely wrapped beneath the tree.. but im all grown up now and still need help some how..' anyways interesting topic. i dont hate people whose views are different then mine, but i cant stand the traditional TO HELL WITH GOD atheism that typical atheist implore, thereby defeating there arguement of a Non spiritual arguement, they inlist hatred to spread their hatred. if you truely didnt believe in God, you think they would be civil in discussing the topic with people whose serious interprutation of there fate is that of one leading to eternal glory. But what do i know, im just a human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism