U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 07:41 AM

39,352 posts, read 10,962,304 times

Advertisements

I do hope this isn't seen as provocative or derivative, but I had to post it because it smacked the nail right on the head. It is something that atheists have to understand about Theists, even if theists don't want to hear it. It was something I had reasoned my way round to relatively recently, because I was struck by how easily the theist apologist stated what God wanted or thought or what his views were or what he would do in particular circumstances.

This justification of God is in no way different to self -justification. For God - believers, God is themselves, raised to divine level. That was a revelation to me though probably not for you lot who knew it already.

This chap certainly did.

The Real God: An Epiphany - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 10:35 AM

41,294 posts, read 18,643,446 times
Since there isn't actually any god, the believer's representations of god's will are actually representations of the believer's thinking. Therefore when an atheist rejects god, he or she is also rejecting the personality of the theist and the theist reacts the same way he or she would if it had been a direct rejection of their persons. That is why the believers are so angry with atheists. It is a false dynamic because the atheist does not accept the premise that the choices are to embrace god or reject god, he or she is actually seeing it as a credibility/no credibility evaluation.

How long did it take for you to read that paragraph? 45 seconds?

It takes the video seven minutes to explain this.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:08 AM

5,563 posts, read 6,330,253 times
Videos have more impact as they appeal to more than one sense. I know this from training I had in training and instruction. Some folk have better grasp of audio/visual things depending which hemisphere is more prominent.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:33 AM

'But I want to believe both of you...!'

You are both right. It is quicker to put it in a paragraph, but a video - provided it doesn't take 20 minutes to watch - will often get more attention.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:23 PM

41,294 posts, read 18,643,446 times
Well, the video struck me as sort of aimed at slow thinkers. Maybe it is just me, I am the impatient sort who doesn't see seven minutes of learning a good investment of time if the same thing can be absorbed in a different form in a fraction of the time.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:50 PM

6,884 posts, read 3,805,970 times
I must admit I zoned out at about 1.25 when my brain started thinking about who on earth is called 'TH'eresa? Who on earth pronounces the 'Th' in Theresa? Surely it's pronounced 'T'eresa.

'THeresa' is a 'theist'
'AnTHony' is an 'atheist'

After that I stopped listening. But I have a very short attention span LOL.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:10 PM

41 posts, read 32,439 times
this is also why theists, christians in my experience, are instructed to and also seem to have such a strong urge to convert people to their religion. it has always seemed to me that they have a seemingly never-ending requirement for the validation of their beliefs. converting someone of another faith or no faith is hugely validating, both personally and for the group consciousness. this need for validation is a red flag for me, sometimes overtly displayed, other times a subtle-something that i have always instinctively recoiled from when i've encountered it. in my experience, christian god-worship it is nothing more than personality-worship in which the believer idealizes his/her own self, the personality of their pastor and other chosen evangelists. gross or subtle, the need for validation is something i've found present in most every christian i've known, and also find that due to the inherent fragility of such need, any hint of disagreement with such personally invested beliefs is a sure-fire way to incite anger and hostility. i find it all extremely hard to stomach these days.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:24 PM

I agree that the pronunciation and presentation might not be the way I'd do it, but what he says is worth hearing. If only because he puts forward the same observations I had already posted in short, easy - to - read - in - twenty - seconds paragraphs (1) decorated with engaging smileys.

(1) give or take some parenthetical digressions and a foopnote or two.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:17 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,375,475 times
You know the video is flawed when it starts with a woman asking a man for a date.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
You know the video is flawed when it starts with a woman asking a man for a date.
I hate to say it, but you may have a point. I was thinking last night that the mind experiment would still work if it had been a more elaborate (and time consuming) 'showing interest' and the Dude simply did not respond. In other words the 'asking for a date' (even in these feminist - equality days (1) is shorthand for the girl not getting the response she hoped for. (2) and then, would she really take it so personally if the fellow showed no interest in her blind date? She might be aggrieved that her efforts were unappreciated or her choice of nuque not appreciated or just (3) not having the erbot fall in with her plans, but would she take it personal rejection?. Only if she is identical with the blind date - which is the point the you tube is trying to prove.

But is that really going to be the rejection - argument? The analogy really does have to be watertight as it is being used to prove the theory, not just illustrate it. Is this really no more than a propaganda smear? Is in effect a circular argument - assuming the point being argued? I have to thank you for asking the question. And I shall have to consider and invite input.

After all, if discussing theist -think behind their backs is not what an atheist thread is for, what are we going to talk about?

(1) and that can be manifest in turning a guy down flat as much as making the approach.

(2) of course, the bod would not take it so badly, as being turned down is what we get used to.

(3) the ultimate gender- crime

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-01-2013 at 04:29 AM.. Reason: a few afterthots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism