Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:16 PM

11,326 posts, read 9,212,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
Because religion is still part of culture, whether we believe in it or not. Most Americans are religious and Christians, and I fully respect that. I do not believe in god still.
Give up.
No atheist would say this:

Quote:
QUOTEOriginally Posted by ONTVisit
Since "In God We Trust" is the official motto of the U.S. and appears on certain government buildings and on dollar bills and coins, how come banks do not put that motto on debit/credit cards, as well as include and put up banners on it in postal offices and banks?
You keep making yourself look worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,176 times
The question doesn't open the idea that he didn't exist. Assuming he did, he's a complete crazy man that ran around getting followers. Did he do good deeds? Perhaps yes, but so does everyone. Assuming he didn't exist, he's a cog in the story machine of following a faith. Take down the cross and put a picture up of yourself or someone you love. Don't add to the craziness

Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,220,535 times
Quote:
Jesus of Nazareth was a real person. Nobody could deny that. Just because we
are atheists doesn't mean we must be ignorant and a**h***.
I agree...u can be an atheist and respect a man's words.
I would say ignore all the posts that spout a lot of nonsense.

And remain a man that does not believe in any Higher Power.
But loves and respects another's words and actions.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,220,535 times
My friend is an atheist...BUT he loves religions....
He says anything that keeps people from robbing him is GOOOD!!

Old 06-06-2013, 12:22 AM

4,527 posts, read 5,114,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Other fictional characters I admire.

Merlin
King Arthur
Gandalf
Superman
Sherlock Holmes
Atticus Finch
Quote:
Off topic. This is about Jesus Christ.
Who is fictional as well. Just thought I'd flesh out the thread a bit.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Makes me wanna give you a smack up side the head with a frozen fish. Only a resentful fool thinks of the historic Christ as "fictional" - Some people have never bothered to do their research - Christ was not Merlin nor Superman ...He was a human being that live on earth...just like you and just like me...The difference is that after 2000 years people still talk about him - Once we are gone people will stop talking about us in 2 weeks...we are more fictional than Christ.
Quote:
Jesus of Nazareth was a real person. Nobody could deny that. Juat because we are atheists doesn't mean we must be ignorant Moderator cut: orphaned
The Jesus of the Bible is very likely fictional. Either made so purposefully or by years of exaggerated retellings of him. While a Jesus may have lived in the time and place depicted in the Bible there is very little chance his portrayal is accurate in any way.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-06-2013 at 07:05 AM..

Old 06-06-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
My friend is an atheist...BUT he loves religions....
He says anything that keeps people from robbing him is GOOOD!!
Yes religion never steals or cons people out of money............Religion is the biggest con game ever!

Old 06-06-2013, 01:03 AM

48,564 posts, read 23,984,335 times
Quote:
Because religion is still part of culture, whether we believe in it or not. Most Americans are religious and Christians, and I fully respect that. I do not believe in god still.
Not an argument I would try to sell to a jury, especially if it was composed of this board's regulars.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:27 AM

354 posts, read 302,584 times
I'm of the opinion that the Jesus character as portrayed in the bible is mostly, if not completely, mythological (it's hard to believe much of what's written there is actual history) in nature. As such, I don't admire the myth anymore than other myths that are prevalent throughout our history.

Now if I look at the myth, is there much to admire. Well, our fictional hero didn't seem to like capitalism very much. That seems to be somewhat admirable

To be honest, I don't find much in the bible inspiring. A god who's only recourse for sin in the violent death (albeit temporary) of either his son or himself, depending on your Christian persuasion. That's a pretty gruesome story if you really think about it.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:08 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,343,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTaTHEIST View Post
Now if I look at the myth, is there much to admire. Well, our fictional hero didn't seem to like capitalism very much. That seems to be somewhat admirable

To be honest, I don't find much in the bible inspiring. A god who's only recourse for sin in the violent death (albeit temporary) of either his son or himself, depending on your Christian persuasion. That's a pretty gruesome story if you really think about it.
I find little to respect in the myths either. While some of his moral philosophy was useful and maybe even ahead of his time... the general story surrounding him is not all that respectable.

For example people weep at the thought of the tortures he underwent before his crucifixion. While I have no doubt they were beyond unpleasant.... they were actually rather mundane and tolerable compared to some of the tortures and horrors the more insidious human minds of our species have come up with and visited upon others. Some of which make the tortures visited upon the Nazarene look like a pleasant vacation.

He is also said to have "given" his life for our sins. God is said to have "given" us his only son. Where though? All I can see in the tales is that he traded an insignificantly short life as a human for one of eternal bliss and dominion. A pretty good trade up one might say. And as such god can not be said to have "given" us a son but rather to have "lent" us one for an insignificant period of time... and is now being rather coy about lending him to us again for his supposed second coming.

It is an insult to all of our intelligence... thankfully theirs much more than ours.... to describe any of this as a "sacrifice" or something we should be thankful for or in awe of. It is also an insult to all those of our species who HAVE actually given their lives for a cause, ideal, place or person without any such promises of resurrection or eternal bliss and dominion. The parent who throws themselves in front of a car to save a child.... or the political activist who dies in the pursuit of a political ideal.... both have sacrificed many times more than anything the Christ character could ever hope to be remembered for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism