Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:29 PM

185 posts, read 193,283 times

Advertisements

What do you atheist think of Jesus Christ? Do you like his teachings on mount of sermon? Do you have Jesus statue or images of him in your car or house?

I myself is an atheist, but I still admire him. May sound silly, but I do have Jesus picture in my house and a cross in my bedroom even though I do not believe in god(s). I do not see Jesus as god, but as an amazing person. Even Gandhi agreed with it.

I hate religion, but love Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 10:50 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
I treat the philosophy of Jesus as I do any other prescription for living...take from it whatever I find of value, don't concern myself with the rest.

In general the whole love your neighbor/other cheek concept really only works if there is some reward/punishment based post corporal state of being. Otherwise you are just going through life permitting others to take serial advantage of you.

I found some of the parables to have what I view as bad moral points, especially the Prodigal Son tale where the irresponsible wastrel son gets placed above the loyal, hard working son, simply because he finally staggers home after years of debauchery. Yeah, that was fair.

Some of the other parables, I couldn't figure out what the moral was supposed to be. The Wedding Feast one where the king's bigshot friends send excuses for why they can't attend the prince's wedding ("I have bought some oxen and must try them" is my favorite) so the king invites all the lower class people to the wedding instead and at the wedding he finds one who isn't wearing a wedding garment. This fellow is cast into the darkness with the traditional teeth gnashing etc. The moral, Jesus explains, is "Many are called but few are chosen."

Huh? wtf? Are they sure they heard Jesus correctly? Maybe it was actually "Many are cold, but few are frozen."

Old 06-04-2013, 11:04 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
I'm thinking you aren't an atheist.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:53 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
What do you atheist think of Jesus Christ? Do you like his teachings on mount of sermon? Do you have Jesus statue or images of him in your car or house?

I myself is an atheist, but I still admire him. May sound silly, but I do have Jesus picture in my house and a cross in my bedroom even though I do not believe in god(s). I do not see Jesus as god, but as an amazing person. Even Gandhi agreed with it.

I hate religion, but love Jesus.
I just see him as another human moral philosopher who can be, and should be, studied along with all the other moral philosophers our species has churned out over the centuries. There is nothing useful or interesting he ever said that requires you to subscribe to unsubstantiated nonsense in order to study and incorporate into your own life.

As for keeping images and statues of him around... seems like pointless kitsch to me. He is no more (or less) special than any other philosopher there has been and my house would get quite cluttered if I were to give equal time to paraphernalia related to them all.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:21 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Jefferson was as atheist as it was possible to be in those times. He did not believe in his divinity, miracles or resurrection. On the other hand he admired his moral teachings and thought the Bible the best code of morality and to that extent he even considered himself a Christian.

For myself, I do not admire the Gospel Christ figure and even his forgiving attitude towards sinners is flawed, because he never stops to ask whether whether they require understanding rather than forgiveness. His over - mild attitude towards his enemies is both impractical and ...well, it feels insincere. On the other hand, his personality is spiteful, moody, irrational, unstable and patronizing. I don't blame him though, but the scriptwriting evangelists.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:34 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
I've never met the guy, so I can't say whether I like him or not. As portrayed in that old fiction work, I get the impression that he was a political and social rabble-rouser.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:39 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
I admire some of the sentiment / ideas / principles attributed to the Jesus character even though I very much doubt he's a real, individual, historical person. I wouldn't take it so far as to have Jesus pictures / idols / icons in my house, but then I don't have Ghandi or Einstein memorabilia lying about, either. The most I would ever do in that regard is perhaps a small saying on the wall or more likely on my computer wallpaper. But that's just me.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Meh. He had some nice stories. I'd say I more have a respect for the stories that comprise the Jesus concept and the global change they resulted in. I think the teachings and stories attributed to Jesus created a paradigm shift in how people in the Western world viewed each other and codified an appropriate way to treat one's fellow man, but I think Buddha did something similar in the Eastern world.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:45 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
I believe he is a myth and never walked the face of the earth. Therefore, I have no statues, crosses or anywhere.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:48 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,533 times
Yeah, if I leave off the Divine Son of God bits, I tend to find him not a very compelling character. I think Marcus Aurelius or Epicurus have philosophies that hang together a lot better, and seem more compelling. Even just in the bible, I find the Teacher in Ecclesiastes to resonant much more with me than I do Jesus.

-NoCapo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism