Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 805 times

Advertisements

Being an agnostic in Alcoholics Anonymous I don't understand, Is it wrong to be an agnostic? to me it's the most honest position to say that you do not know when it comes to a god. I have almost 7 months of sobriety and I feel that it has been through rationality and reasoning. I'm not trying to be controversial or rebellious, I'm just trying to be real and honest. It seems like when you say you are an agnostic all of a sudden other people feel as if they need to "fix" you, as if there is something "wrong" with you. Even in the Alcoholics Anonymous text it is said agnostics have a "prejudice" towards God Why is that? just because I admit that I do not know the answers? nor pretend to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 01:30 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,354,120 times
You will find at least 2, if not more, recent threads on this topic around here. It has been asked many times before that too. Alas many of those threads descend into the monotony of people trying to pretend AA has no religious element at all or that the 12 steps are not about the Christian God or some form of it.

Essentially AA is not really regulated. So the interpretation of the "steps", how religion any session will be, and what approach they will all take tends to be dependent on the people running and/or attending the sessions.

And yes some of those sessions hammer the overt religious aspect of the association quite heavily. And if you are in one of those, and you do not fall into line, then you are likely to feel put out or uncomfortable.

If you feel uncomfortable then simple find other AA meetings and try a few of them from each organizer until you find one that suits you. If that fails then ditch AA entirely and look for more secular alternatives without such a clear religious basis in their core texts. There are many. Your local Atheist Association or Humanist Association will likely have people in it who have loads of details on these too.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:37 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,518,409 times
It is ok to find another group.

AA does not require you to believe. GOD can be a group of drunks. As you are getting to know people and your head clears try to hang around people that think like you do. Just like anywhere else. Don't let anything send you back into that drink.

Id I gave you a pill that would make everything in your life perfect would you take?
If I gave you a pill that would fubar your whole life would you take it?

Alcohol cause a series chemical reactions in your body. If you do not add in the reactant ... there will be no reaction. It is not all about will power. Lite a piece of paper on fire and "wish it to go out with will power." Would you feel bad about yourself if it didn't go out? Don't drink.

when all else fails when they ask "how can you do it without god?" you say "I can because of you."

And remember, there are many sick people in AA.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:43 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,318,301 times
Well, they always talk about a higher power, don't they? I just assume, as an atheist, that the higher power is the general randomness of the universe. It's about surrendering control, not communing with a god. I've never done the 12-step thing, but everything I've read about it makes it sound like it's all about sort of letting go of stuff and being honest. Heck, I've found that easier since I've been an atheist. The serenity prayer and stuff like that are just common sense, not mumbo jumbo.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:00 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,719,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
GOD can be a group of drunks.
There's a disturbing thought.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:45 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,354,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Well, they always talk about a higher power, don't they? I just assume, as an atheist, that the higher power is the general randomness of the universe.
You could do that for sure! Loads of people do.

But let us not pretend that WHILE doing it you would be ignoring that the higher power is referred to as a "He". This "he" is described as being an intentional agent, one that you can communicate with, and one who has the power to interact and edit your character and life on your behalf.

You say it is not about "communing" with a god. But the 12 steps text is the exact opposite of your claim. Step 5 talks about communing with this god to "admit" things to it. Step 7 talks about "asking" _him_ for things. And step 11 talks about "contact with God".

If all of that is not "communing" then I am not sure what "communing" even means any more.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:28 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,518,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Well, they always talk about a higher power, don't they? I just assume, as an atheist, that the higher power is the general randomness of the universe. It's about surrendering control, not communing with a god. I've never done the 12-step thing, but everything I've read about it makes it sound like it's all about sort of letting go of stuff and being honest. Heck, I've found that easier since I've been an atheist. The serenity prayer and stuff like that are just common sense, not mumbo jumbo.
yeppers, I agree. I think of it as "general probability" though. If there is a god he would agree with you too I think.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:40 AM

11,343 posts, read 9,238,914 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/athei...ease-help.html

Old 12-01-2014, 02:50 PM

11,765 posts, read 2,929,391 times
You are not wrong to be agnostic! If it gives you any moral support, consider that your agnosticism is a sign of a higher IQ than the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism