U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:35 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,112,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I tend to think the existence of religion in general does more harm than good, not because of the religion itself, but because of the stupid things people do with it and the way people use it to justify atrocity.
Even though I am a lifelong Atheist, I like most religions because they bring a great deal of comfort to those who need it.

Of course, like any good thing, some people take it too far. That's too bad.

But don't throw out the baby with the bath water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 12:29 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times
Speaking as a Muslim who knows quite a few Atheists in real life. I have never had any problems with them. They are simply individuals that do not agree with my beliefs, nothing for anyone to get angry or upset about. I don't feel like I am treated any different than any other flavor of theist.

I am convinced Atheists are no different from any other human. They are individuals and no one or even group represents all Atheists. Like all humans some are people I like having as friends and some are people I prefer to avoid.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 06-18-2013, 08:24 PM

515 posts, read 624,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I think that Islam is just as silly as other religions.

I would tell Mohammed to stop molesting little girls.
Ditto!

How anyone, let alone millions, can give credence to anything spoken or written by a long dead pedophile is beyond my comprehension!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:20 PM

4,554 posts, read 5,398,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
What would you tell Muhammad if you had a chance to talk with him?
I'd ask him if I could take a Magic Carpet Ride.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:10 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,349,751 times
I've known a lot of Muslims who were very good people. Honestly, on the whole, my experience with Muslims has been more positive than my experience with Christians.

As far as the religion itself goes, I don't actually find it any more violent than Christianity, and always chuckle to myself when people start going on about how Islam is violent by nature but Christianity is peaceful... the Bible and Quran are similar enough, and most of the negative press comes from Sharia law that has been decreed by imams and quadis interpreting the word of Mohammed through traditional tribal social norms. Same as how there's a difference between a devout Quaker who interprets the bible as a specific set of instructions to abstain from violence, and an evangelical megachurch that appeals to people who think it's our heavenly duty to blow up Arabs and keep women from being equal in society, there's a difference between a devout Muslim who believes in god's compassion and leading by a peaceful example and one who believes that it's their god-given duty to kill infidels and subjugate women.

But at the core, though I have drastically less personal spite for Islam than Christianity, I ultimately don't feel that it's any more or less valid in dogma.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:43 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,112,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
I'd ask him if I could take a Magic Carpet Ride.
According to my knowledge, I can't recall Mohammed having a flying carpet.

However, one of my sources said he did have a flying donkey.

Prophet Mohammed went to miraj on Buraq which is a flying donkey not a horse. Bukhari Hadith confirms it. According to Hadith Al-Buraq is a white animal, smaller than a mule and bigger than a donkey (Sahih Bukhari Vol 4, Book 54. Beginning Of Creation. Hadith 429.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:01 PM

2,826 posts, read 1,864,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
Islam is now what Christianity was during the Inquisitions. Geopolitical conquest through the use of a cancerous ideology. Islam is the true weapon of mass destruction. Oddly enough I came across a good read on Sam Harris's blog a few hours before this thread.

Islam and the Misuses of Ecstasy : Sam Harris
I just read a Time magazine article today (in fact ten minutes ago) about how one Buddhist leader was actually advocating violence against Islam (in Myanmar). He'd had enough of them raping their women and overpopulating their country. Hmmm, when the actual religion of pacifism finally raises a weapon against the "religion of peace" (as Muslims call themselves), don't you think it might be time to do some actual self-examination? (Time defended the Muslims. I think it's Time we ended our subscription)

Atheism is a religion, I believe that, despite squawking to the contrary from atheists.

But Islam is a sucky religion.

One of these two deserves to be wiped off the face of the Earth. One does not.
I'm not gonna spoil it for you.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 06-22-2013 at 05:09 PM..

Old 06-22-2013, 05:19 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,971,953 times
There is a family of Muslims in our neighborhood, I do not know them that well, but I speak to the father most days at the bus stop and he behaves as a very friendly, civilized individual.

As for the religion itself, I cannot see it working for me, any more or less than Christianity or Judaism. While the study of religions and cultural mythology is fascinating, that should not be construed as any interest in conversion.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:51 PM

2,826 posts, read 1,864,431 times
The problem of Islam, is one of boundaries.

Another religion, say Christianity, might bug you with proselytizing. But generally, you'd look at them very funny if you said, "sorry, not interested" and they killed your wife or child for not converting. Such people are not Christians, they're insane, and hiding behind religion to do atrocities. But in Islam countries, this is often how it works. It's somehow their business what you believe, and a killable offense. Such people are Muslims, and are heroic Muslims.

Compare this:

Quran (22:19-21) - But as for those who disbelieve, garments of fire will be cut out for them; boiling fluid will be poured down on their heads; Whereby that which is in their bellies, and their skins too, will be melted; And for them are hooked rods of iron

(surrounding passages are even worse, check the link)

To this:

Psalm 119:134 -
Redeem me from the oppression of man, That I may keep Your precepts.

(surrounding passages have nothing to do with enemies)

Most of the Jewish/Christian prayers concerning one's opponents are to be delivered from those who would cause harm to them, so that they can keep following the traditions. The Muslim teachings? That such people will be horribly punished.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 06-22-2013 at 06:06 PM..

Old 06-22-2013, 07:28 PM

39,026 posts, read 10,819,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I just read a Time magazine article today (in fact ten minutes ago) about how one Buddhist leader was actually advocating violence against Islam (in Myanmar). He'd had enough of them raping their women and overpopulating their country. Hmmm, when the actual religion of pacifism finally raises a weapon against the "religion of peace" (as Muslims call themselves), don't you think it might be time to do some actual self-examination? (Time defended the Muslims. I think it's Time we ended our subscription)

Atheism is a religion, I believe that, despite squawking to the contrary from atheists.

But Islam is a sucky religion.

One of these two deserves to be wiped off the face of the Earth. One does not.
I'm not gonna spoil it for you.
The Myanma populace have long had a questionable attitude towards the muslim minority, mostly on the India border in Rakhine (Arakan) state. While there may a question of treatment of Buddhist women (in the old marxist days, the 'Light of Burma' had regular exposures of monks who had similar accusations levelled at them) but the overpopulation objections strikes me as the racially suspect arguments against muslims in this country.

One UK Christian minister lent his name to a campaign to protect Christian values against muslim encroachment. I see no reason why a Buddhist leader might not do the same and I would disapprove and hope that the majority of other Christians leaders and buddhist leaders would regard that as unacceptable.

And atheism is not a religion. I am an atheist. trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism