U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 12:52 PM

7,802 posts, read 4,114,192 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'd really appreciate your thoughts to this thread I just posted in the 'About the Forum' admin zone:

Pasting just part of the link:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

........I was hoping the mods would consider opening up an atheist friendship thread for us on the A & A forum?
If you have any comments, perhaps respond to the link rather than here?

With many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 03:42 PM

11,949 posts, read 11,422,445 times
All you have to do is convince our mods (June and Miss Blue) to make this thread a Stick and your mission is accomplished.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:57 PM

17,579 posts, read 40,571,846 times
So what exactly would be posted in this thread?

Old 06-07-2013, 04:36 PM

I thought the protocol for this sort of thing was in the Admin Zone but apparently not, so I'm back over here to hear peoples thoughts.

Manderly it would just be general chitchat. Sometimes the threads go off topic. I don't know if you followed the link? The mods have a job to do and sometimes have to close a thread if the discussion goes off topic so sometimes you are not sure whether to post or not.
For example I had a brief exchange with mordant about a couple of books in a thread today. There were another few instances recently where I'd liked to have had a chat about something in other threads but knew the conversation was off topic so didn't persue it. But it might be just a quick exchange of information - not necessarily worth starting a whole thread about.

As I said in the link, there is such a 'sticky' thread in the Christianity sub forum. I never venture on there - I don't know anyone on there and I doubt they'd be interested in anything I had to say. Whereas I'm interested in what people have to say on here. Sometimes it would be nice to just have a general chitchat without having to constantly refer to someone elses OP.
Same as any chat thread really.

Just to add as well that Poncho in the admin zone commented that threads that go off topic, he moves to the chat thread. OK but we don't have a chat thread to move such topics to. This would solve the problem and maybe let the main topic of the thread continue unabated without having to close the thread.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:15 AM

4,747 posts, read 1,397,396 times
Okay, so it's 5 years later and this thread is dead. I'm an agnostic, my wife is atheist. Anybody else out there?
Time to revitalize it, if that's possible.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Okay, so it's 5 years later and this thread is dead. I'm an agnostic, my wife is atheist. Anybody else out there?
Time to revitalize it, if that's possible.

There's another thread that's alive and well.
Try here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/athei...l#post53556507

Old 11-05-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So what exactly would be posted in this thread?

Funny how 5 years ago the #3 post was already skeptical about what on earth to write in a chat thread.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:10 AM

This thread is dead guys, this thread is dead.

Post here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/athei...hread-169.html

Old 11-05-2018, 11:30 AM

42,521 posts, read 12,103,395 times
I like the idea of a place where theists and atheists can talk as People rather polemicists, because, even when a theist and I are clawing each other's eyes out, I can see a fun person behind the wrangle that I might like to know, and we might find something we have in common, the deeper we dig.

Chat about anything is different. It gives atheists ......We ARE Agnostics!....a chance to go way off topic and even Forum. I get away with murder, but even I have to draw the line somewhere (Rap, for a start) . I rather think there should be One rule - No religious debate....we can talk about anything else, sport, TV, hobbies, politics...

Two Rules, no religion or politics but sport, TV, hobbies, food, sex...

Three rules, no religion, politics, sex, but sport, TV, hobbies, food, travel, science...

Four rules........I'll go out and come in again.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:52 PM

42,521 posts, read 12,103,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
There's another thread that's alive and well.
Try here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/athei...l#post53556507
We goddless bastards have no friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism