U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:19 AM

12,196 posts, read 9,900,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
1) What do atheists think will happen after death?
I think that after I die, I will be dead.
Quote:
2) How do you want your funeral?
A big party with dancing.
Quote:
3) Would you be OK if your family do a religious service funeral and prayers for you when you die?
I think I won't care since I will be dead.
Quote:
4) Would you be OK if you were buried at a Christian cemetery and/or had a cross on your grave?

Very curious... Thanks for answer
Sure. They can pee on my body for all I care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 11:38 AM

11,194 posts, read 11,008,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I got a mental image of a flock of honking geese flying overhead, liberally sprinkling the meadows and fields with Riflepoo as they go. Then five minutes later, the ground begins to shake....
Now, that's funny. I hope Mr. Rifleman™ gets a good chuckle.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:38 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,496,721 times
Quote:
3) Would you be OK if your family do a religious service funeral and prayers for you when you die?
4) Would you be OK if you were buried at a Christian cemetery and/or had a cross on your grave?

1) As has been stated, my brain will stop working and I will cease to exist, as before I was born.
2) I would want it to be a beautiful reflection on what I meant and what it means to have lived, so as to provide the living with closure and help them take advantage of the opportunity to grow wiser through reflection on life and the human condition.
3) I would prefer if it were a Hindu ceremony, as I was raised, to help structure how they go about things, but I wouldn't want the emotional currency wasted on reinforcing a false worldview. It'd be a waste of what I left behind in people's hearts.
4) No, I was never a Christian, it wouldn't be an accurate or respectful way to deal with my memory and legacy, which is all I'll have left.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:39 AM

59 posts, read 99,478 times
I have clear instructions on what will happen upon my death. Firstly, any body parts and organs that are viable and can be used for others in need shall be used and donated as appropriate. If donation is not possible (after all, I don't know what will be the cause of my death), then my body is to go to my favorite school and alma mater, Duke University, to be used in its medical school. I don't want a tombstone or anything else. My relatives and friends know well that I believe death is the final step of life, that I don't believe in an afterlife and that they should remember me for what little contributions I have made, for the laughter, for the jokes, for the good times we have shared.

My brain will stop working. I will cease to exist. I won't remember just as I don't remember before or after I was born until 2 years of age or so.

My family is not religious, nor do I or my husband have any children. My family knows that I am not seeking burial or religious rites. I would rather that my family and friends had drinks in my honor and remembrance, laughing at x-rated jokes and shaking their heads at my irrational devotion to Duke men's basketball.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:46 AM

30,702 posts, read 33,496,337 times
The only think I DON'T WANT is for people to be looking at my dead body. Cremation is my wish, after any usable parts are removed. However else those left behind want to handle things is up to them and ok with me.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:39 AM

590 posts, read 664,369 times
Quote:

1. As our brains dissolve rather quickly into dust, my thoughts and memories will be no more. That's not a very happy thought, but I accept that's part of life. I prefer to donate some parts of my body because instead of deteriorating, it would be kind of nice to know that part of me will still be around.
2. I don't expect a big funeral as I don't have my own children and I'm the youngest of all my relatives. However, for the few who show up, I hope to provide them with a few more laughs.
3. If I die in the next 15 years, that might happen. As another poster mentioned, funerals are for the living. I'm not going to worry about that.
4. I would prefer to donate my body and/or be cremated so that I don't take up limited space.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:34 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,091,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
1. As our brains dissolve rather quickly into dust, my thoughts and memories will be no more. That's not a very happy thought, but I accept that's part of life.
Depends on the ratio of unhappy to happy thoughts and memories. I don't find my dissolution sad, or even really anymore my unrealized hopes and dreams to be sad. They were mostly illusions anyway, and what wasn't illusory was of no real consequence. I will be ready to lay down in the clearing at the end of the path.

What would be sad at the moment of death would be to have regrets ... to not have made the most of the life I had, to the extent I was actually able to do so. There is no point even in mourning items still on the bucket list unless you missed the opportunity to experience them through fear or laziness. But even that regret would be transitory and passing, as when you're dead, you don't regret anything.

That is the best thing about death -- no regrets, no disappointments, no striving, no betrayal, no rejection, no pain. No upside either, but definitely no downside. It's actually a pretty good deal. Many times what people strain at about death is a false comparison -- comparing oblivion to an idealized heaven. The truth is that if there were an afterlife it would be some random situation, possibly same s__t, different dimension, maybe way worse for all we know. Why don't people see how terribly convenient it is that heaven is always seen as perfect? It's just a projection.

Oblivion is far preferable to just another situation we have minimal control over or say in. Of course, I can no more be certain of oblivion than a Christian can be of heaven or a Viking of Valhalla. When I die, it will be what it will be, regardless of what I believe, think or hope. But I'm gunning for oblivion, an end to the chaos, bafflement and absurdity of life. And while I can't prove it or be absolutely certain of it, that outcome is much more likely given what we DO know for sure about life.

I realize that many people are more impressed with life, and some of them groove on it in its own right -- those people would be happy to just continue on without even insisting on heavenly McMansions or streets of gold or ultimate resolution to all loose ends. They, I suppose, would not want it to ever end. But for me and a lot of others, even a good story needs an end -- even a good story becomes interminable and tiresome if the middle part becomes endless. Or as I put it elsewhere, no movie is so good that it should be 12 hours long, much less endless. No matter how good a movie is, at some point it's time to pee and go to bed.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:30 PM

590 posts, read 664,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
No matter how good a movie is, at some point it's time to pee and go to bed.
Many interesting thoughts. In regard to not having regrets at the end, if I do, I will just remind myself that it soon won't matter if I have any regrets or not. Yes, eventually the movie should end, but unfortunately, we won't really be able to see the end of this movie. I'd like to stick around to see what the world map will look like in 500 years, to see if we are able to ever colonize another planet, to see how human life on Earth ends, and much more.

If we came to a point when we knew that the universe would soon come to an end, then I would be ready to go to bed and not think about things anymore.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:44 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,110,588 times
In the past I used to egotistically fantasize about having an elaborate funeral full of emotional, interminable eulogies and distraught acquaintances. Now, mostly divested of delusions of grandeur, I have no concern for the proceedings whatsoever. If I were to die young I'm sure my surviving relatives would give my corpse the conventional treatment, and that would include a church service and burial at a Christian cemetery. Those who know might reference my lack of belief, but they'd still do what they were used to/considered "best" for...my soul, heh.

I might mention here that I've attended the Catholic funerals of a couple departed family members over the past two years, and on both occasions I felt on the verge of a panic attack. Just sheer unrelenting discomfort, induced both by the forced prolonged focus on the reality of death, and also by the disconcerting awareness of the difference between my beliefs and those of others in the building. After the first, I vowed I'd never set foot in a church again, but when my grandfather died this past December, I felt compelled to "be there". I made it through two wakes, the funeral, and the trip to the cemetery, but left the post-funeral banquet rather abruptly, before anyone else had left. People were largely acting as if the burial of the body had signaled some sort of rigid ending, and so the prevailing mood at the restaurant was...normal, eerily so. My paternal grandmother (grandfather who had died was my maternal grandfather) commented that I had eaten little, and I explained to her that I don't have much of an appetite when depressed. She (Catholic, like almost all of my other family members), responded matter-of-factly (and heartlessly, in my opinion), "Well, you have to get on with life." I said, "I'll remember that when you die."

PS: mordant, you're a great writer.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:38 PM

59 posts, read 83,011 times
I want to be cremated, and I want my funeral to be fun; a day for my family to celebrate my life, not to mourn my death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism