U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 01:44 AM

30,701 posts, read 33,478,764 times

Advertisements

Always always. I remember as a kid, about 9-10, one of my friends tried to explain what a "soul" was and how it went places after you died. I didn't get it then and I still don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 02:57 AM

39,091 posts, read 10,842,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm sorry. That's beyond terrible. Do you have a relationship with your parents at all? (I don't think I"d want to if I were you, but I'm kind of scorched earth in how I respond to being wronged.)
Yeah, I'm the same. I don't get mad or even get even, I get lost.
P.s yes, that story was a shocker. People who behave like than for religious reasons are not only not good examples of their religion, but not good human beings. If they are still loved by the poster they rejected as being religiously 'not one of them', it is far more than they deserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I think I was made uncomfortable by the lack of reason attached to the faith demonstrated within my family. There was always this tinge of hysteria to it that made me uneasy. My grandmother was convinced she had had visions - I know now she was simply demonstrating symptoms of dehydration :P
This is an example of why we shouldn't take claims of religious experience on trust. Quite apart from the suspicion of religious 'tweaking' of the facts to make them persuasive evidence of a soul/afterlife/heaven/God or 'something more', there is the simple fact of not knowing all the facts. We do not know what fan heaters might have been making the lampshade move. This is one case where we do find out the cause and it was just the mind playing tricks because of the bod not being serviced correctly.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-14-2013 at 03:06 AM..

Old 06-18-2013, 06:56 AM

331 posts, read 431,646 times
Is it considered being Atheist if I dont believe in anything currently but if somehow, God makes a new conference appearance and then everything is proven that I would gladly follow the "word"?

Regards
Huffbuffer

Old 06-18-2013, 07:37 AM

While we wouldn't put it quite like that (1) I get your drift. We do not buy into the god -claims of any religion but would be open to any persuasive evidence. In practice we think that the way back is too far for anything persuasive but God showing up on a chat show. Even then we would need a very convincing one - not a George Burns lookalike doing conjouring tricks.

(1) the axiom is that we atheists do not believe in nothing - we believe in everything - except religion. Not strictly accurate as there may be a lot of things we disbelieve in, but not as atheists, because atheism per se only addresses the matter of god -claims, not the matter of ghosts, UFOs or Bigfoot etc. in which we might or might not believe. We would still be atheist even if we thought Bigfoot, existed, UFO's were real and Ghosts manifested, if we did not believe in any gods.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:46 PM

8,963 posts, read 6,499,578 times
It took me to age 19 to snap out it. That is very embarrassing to admit and I don't want to make excuses but I was raised in a religious household. A very disfunctional one at that.

I came out alone and never met another atheist until I turned 40.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:16 PM

14,197 posts, read 9,084,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
It took me to age 19 to snap out it. That is very embarrassing to admit and I don't want to make excuses but I was raised in a religious household. A very disfunctional one at that.

I came out alone and never met another atheist until I turned 40.
You think you're embarrassed ... it was more like 39 before I snapped out of it.

Perhaps, because I was raised in a quite functional religious household. Theism worked for me until I left the nest, not realizing the Real World was way more complex and hostile and strange and uncontrolled than I had been conditioned to expect. Religion didn't give me the tools I needed to cope properly, didn't set my expectations properly, and just generally made sure I was a babe in the woods.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:06 AM

You deconverts needn't be embarrassed. I am full of admiration for those who were right up to the futtocks immersed in the goo and yet were able to reason their way out. For me, I was like, totally ignorant. I never had to do it as I gave up any association with it after leaving school.

The point is that I regard you battle -scarred veterans with the admiration of someone who was brought up in a neutral country and hasn't won a single medal.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:16 AM

10 posts, read 6,177 times
sort of I as a kid of 10 yrs always wanted to be like the rest of my family but never had or couldn't but read a bible passage after learning about circumcision and realized u weren't u remember men unmarked by the covenant of foreskin removal are cast into hell. I was scared for weeks then I came to learn my mother's doctor had gone on vacation after i was born and she decided to take me home. So after this revelation an epiphany happened that Churches bible and those of deep blind faith are loons and I was not one of the sheep. I was not so afraid anymore to accept myself as an atheist fully around 15

Old 09-30-2014, 05:41 AM

13,493 posts, read 4,996,362 times
since the third grade. Mt progression went something like:

has anybody else rose from the dead?
what sin was I born with?
But didn't he make us as we are right now?
hmm,

Old 09-30-2014, 12:48 PM

6,553 posts, read 3,281,720 times
I guess I was always questioning things and found science amazing. I believed in God, I guess, but didn't care about religion or church until early high school. However, I'd see bigoted or sexist things in the Bible and didn't care for it. So I said it was open to interpretation. Well, that was a slippery slope I guess, because more and more became 'open to interpretation, until finally, so was God. And at that point (end of high school) I was done with religion. So, had a good run of 4 years of being religious (I don't count the 14 years before that because I was too young to really think critically about it all) and that was all I could stomach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism