U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 09:17 AM

3,404 posts, read 2,256,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yes, that's a pretty good characterization. I have to believe that a pastor knows on which side his bread is buttered and he's not going to want to antagonize his biggest donors / political allies / most popular members and he's not going to want to be seen as cold and heartless to the frail and young. I'm not suggesting this is a conscious, cold, Machiavellian calculus, but based on human nature it just has to factor in. It's rather the same reason one does not lightly challenge one's boss in front of others.

So depending on how the church is governed, if I wanted first-tier consideration and spiritual care, I would want to be on the church board, an elder or deacon, sunday school superintendent, music director, or some similar. But that now seems like an awfully high price to pay for "care" of highly dubious value. I mean, all we're talking about is a little empathy for problems you have, not actual solutions. I find that people outside the church are generally quite empathetic and caring without the need to navigate around all the rules and regs.
Not only that, but if you are in Tier 1, to stay there you have to diligently hide or hush up any flaws or failings you might have. Mentioning doubts, admitting that you feel betrayed by God, or the like will get you bumped down to Tier 2. Being discovered with a sufficiently egregious sin, or walking away from your faith will put you in Tier 3 (He deserved it, the vile sinner!)

-NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 09:45 AM

39,320 posts, read 10,946,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Not only that, but if you are in Tier 1, to stay there you have to diligently hide or hush up any flaws or failings you might have. Mentioning doubts, admitting that you feel betrayed by God, or the like will get you bumped down to Tier 2. Being discovered with a sufficiently egregious sin, or walking away from your faith will put you in Tier 3 (He deserved it, the vile sinner!)

-NoCapo
”The only army that shoots its wounded is the Christian army,” said the speaker, a psychologist who had just returned from an overseas ministry trip among missionaries.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:53 AM

4,422 posts, read 2,995,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
So what do you call a simpleton such as myself who has no use or respect for religion as it stands BUT has a simple belief that there must be a God - or "source" of everything?
One of the best reasons to learn about various religions. I'll get around to it, eventually...ideally before dying....

Old 06-16-2013, 12:07 AM

4,422 posts, read 2,995,744 times
I used to draw monsters like this, when younger:

I'd get extremely ticked off when people would view them with fear, rather than curiosity. (Huh...taking offense at someone being frightened of a frightening being....Sound in any way similar to taking offense at someone not being grateful to the being kind enough to not roast us, if we do whatever He says?) It would make a lot of sense if I'd viewed them as polytheistic gods, of a sort (If the video is in any way correct).

The one above hunts the fear that turns people against one another without just cause, and would have defended the Neanderthals and Native Americans, had he been there when the greatest crimes against them were occurring (If Homo sapiens had caused Neanderthals to go extinct largely through conflict).

I had another drawing of a giant, many eyed, needle toothed worm, that received a blue ribbon at a small town's art contest. It was the defender of children. It was too slow and cumbersome to protect them all, but it certainly tried. It was always a being they could run to when in danger.

Most of their foes were simpleminded, animal-like beings - predators driven by hunger. They could be outwitted, but were frightening. The most dangerous was their king...the Rorret, who was covered in hooks and spines, and had no senses but taste and smell.

For a long time I had a very strong urge to believe they existed, on some level, so I called myself agnostic.

That type of religion seems like it could be a very good thing...a powerful motivator, and force to uplift the spirit.

Okay, this is beginning to sound like proselytizing....

Anyway, to make up for the proselytizing (apologies), here's an entertaining video (made by someone else):

Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks - YouTube

Last edited by Clintone; 06-16-2013 at 01:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism