U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 01:02 PM

39,044 posts, read 10,831,421 times

Advertisements

Girl Guides will no longer pledge their devotion to God when they join the organisation, it has been announced.

The phrase "to love my God" has been dropped from the promise after a consultation suggested different words are needed to include the non-religious.

Girl Guides: Latest Promise Drops God Line

My attention was grabbed by a news item with some Christian bod first saying that it wasn't necessary to do it and then bemoaning the fact that 'core identity' was being lost by doing it.

Which is why it was necessary. A spokesperson for the guides said it wasn't an 'atheists win again' matter, but about making it more embracing to people of all faiths or none.

It may not be a win but it sure isn't a defeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 01:32 PM

40,913 posts, read 18,566,118 times
I'll take it as a win.

Now lets see if we can't do something about getting "God Bless America" out of our ballparks.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:11 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,369,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I'll take it as a win.

Now lets see if we can't do something about getting "God Bless America" out of our ballparks.
I'm still not used to it. Isn't the national anthem enough?

Old 06-19-2013, 03:26 PM

1,867 posts, read 2,364,610 times
Quote:
I'd like to see that eliminated too. I think they only play it on Sundays. But the problem is, there are oafs who prod people into removing their hats. Its not the anthem! Hats off for the anthem, hats on for God Bless America. Is it that hard to understand?

Old 06-19-2013, 04:09 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,371,891 times
Seems so, yup!

FOlks her want to continue to ramrod Christianity into our culture, claiming (erroneously) that this country was in fact formed up on a Christian covenant.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:59 PM

40,913 posts, read 18,566,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Hats off for the anthem, hats on for God Bless America. Is it that hard to understand?
What I do not understand is why in order to get a ballgame started, there is first the requirement of staging a mass display of the audience's patriotism. We do not have to sing the anthem to get a ballet or opera going, movies may commence without the crowd first reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, no affirmation of our love for the nation seems needed before a Broadway play opens...

.....but sporting events. Can't trust those gatherings, they must prove their commitment to the American way before we'll let things get under way.

The above makes the now mandatory 7th inning God Bless America even more annoying. Not only is the patriotism of the crowd so suspect that another musical tribute to America is required, this one also features applications to a mythical deity, demanding that it favor our nation over others.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:51 AM

39,044 posts, read 10,831,421 times
To be able to make an appeal to tradition, one first has to establish the tradition.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:30 PM

8,960 posts, read 6,496,704 times
Quote:
I'll take it as a win.

I refuse to stand for this which is nothing more than a prayer.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:18 PM

6,862 posts, read 3,784,931 times
The one and only time I have been made to feel truly uncomfortable in that 'feeling like a spare part' way since living in America (2 years now), was when I attended one of my sons boy scouts meetings. There were all sorts of troths to god going on. I felt uncomfortable because it was unexpected and I felt eyes were on me for not joining in with the words (which I didn't know anyway).

On May 23, the Boy Scouts honourably joined the 21st century and voted to rescind the long-standing ban on homosexual youth in the program. Well done.

Next on the list: follow the girl guides and scrap god. Thanks very much.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:37 PM

2,826 posts, read 1,865,120 times
God Bless America is a song that people should be able to sing if they want to.

But, I always thought the pledge of allegiance was wrong, with or without the "under God" in there.

It is wrong to force people to make a pledge, more so, if you preach liberty.

Ironically, this feeling came about two years ago, after attending a Lutheran church service. I had just fled a cult that was very scary and controlling during Passover. That Sunday I was like "I feel violated, I want to go to a nice quiet service and not have people proselytize me." So I found this church. The priestess there was talking about the sacrificial animals used as blood offerings to atone for sins. Then she paused and said "we don't have to do that anymore." That was the point, that others
(in this case, Jesus) sacrificed so that we could live our lives free.

The next time some Army recruiter tries to tell you "freedom isn't free," threaten to hurt him. People fought and died so "we don't have to do that anymore." If I want to sing God Bless America, anyone trying to stop me is in the wrong. But neither can they make me stand up with my hand over my heart and sing (I thought it was Star Spangled Banner, or is that "too hard to sing") during a ballgame. If it's just me, with no family, I sit down and stay down.

Also, what is Girl Guides? I know of Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism