U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 05:58 AM
bUU

11,891 posts, read 8,675,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So then what exactly is her issue? Is she worried they are going to put her on the front lines?
Not at all. Her worry is that she would have been forced to swear to something that was a violation of her fundamental beliefs, the promise to take another life for the country. It's called being honorable in one's regard to the oath.

Quote:
Although I still think she should be willing to take a life n defense of this country. As I think all citizens should.
And I think you should be willing to live without eating meat. Neither of us get to impose such feelings on others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 06:17 AM

6,491 posts, read 5,245,374 times
Quote:
Although I still think she should be willing to take a life n defense of this country. As I think all citizens should.
Unfortunately, "taking a life in defense of this country" could mean many things. Anyone who officially agrees to do this is, in the eyes of the U.S. government, agreeing to kill anyone they decide is a threat, right or wrong. Even if simply bearing arms and/or killing someone is permitted under one's spiritual/religious beliefs, murder may not be. But that's exactly what killing that turns out to be unjustified is, is it not?

Old 06-25-2013, 05:14 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,811,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

And I think you should be willing to live without eating meat. Neither of us get to impose such feelings on others.
I simply stated my opinion. I never said anything about imposing anything on anyone.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:23 PM

354 posts, read 246,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
You are correct. Secular Humanism is the fastest growing threat to Christianity.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:35 PM

354 posts, read 246,115 times
Quote:
I don't really care what religion or lack or religion someone has. I'm bothered that someone wants to become a citizen and is not willing to defend the country if need be.
I often wonder if nationalism is the last bastion and ultimate incarnation of human tribalistic nature. Speaking as a person who feels we should be moving beyond this nature, I understand she must live somewhere and there's basically nowhere on this planet that is not nationalized. I've no desire to defend (can be read as "kill for") a country, regardless of what country that might be. And also, why the hell would they ask this question of a 64-year-old woman anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or