Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 10:17 AM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times

Advertisements

This is interesting; apparently you can't be a conscientious objector or otherwise non-combatant in this country without adhering to religious dogma stating as much:
Margaret Doughty, Atheist Seeking U.S. Citizenship, Told To Join Church Or Be Denied
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 10:59 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
This is interesting; apparently you can't be a conscientious objector or otherwise non-combatant in this country without adhering to religious dogma stating as much:
Margaret Doughty, Atheist Seeking U.S. Citizenship, Told To Join Church Or Be Denied
You can be a conscientious objector without adhering to religious dogma. This was decided by the US Supreme Court in Welsh v. United States. (1970)

The problem in the case before us is a procedural one. Doughty is in effect challenging a law when there is no test case involved. She has not been asked to bear arms, refused, and been prosecuted as a consequence. As such she is not actually challenging the requirement that she bear arms if asked, she is challenging the government's right to ask this of potential citizens. That was not covered by the Welsh decision and will most likely have to be sorted out as a unique case, a different question.

I suspect that if pushed through he courts, Ms. Doughty would prevail, but they would not be deciding the right to be a non religious conscientious objector, they would be deciding the legality of the citizenship form in relation to that right.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:28 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
"PROVE that you are non-violent! Join a church that worships a God who has promoted or currently promotes violence, murder, and eternal suffering for, well, people like you!"

Old 06-21-2013, 04:20 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
UPDATE 6/20 -- Margaret Doughty received notice on Thursday that her application for citizenship had been approved.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:57 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
I rather expected that. Such a demand was so begging to backfire that I wondered whether it was a Spoof 'news item'.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:29 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,075,553 times
Quote:
In the process of applying for citizenship, all candidates are asked if they’d be willing to take up arms in defense of the United States of America. Ms. Doughty responded,
“I am sure the law would never require a 64 year-old woman like myself to bear arms, but if I am required to answer this question, I cannot lie. I must be honest. The truth is that I would not be willing to bear arms. Since my youth I have had a firm, fixed and sincere objection to participation in war in any form or in the bearing of arms. I deeply and sincerely believe that it is not moral or ethical to take another person’s life, and my lifelong spiritual/religious beliefs impose on me a duty of conscience not to contribute to warfare by taking up arms…my beliefs are as strong and deeply held as those who possess traditional religious beliefs and who believe in God…I want to make clear, however, that I am willing to perform work of national importance under civilian direction or to perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States if and when required by the law to do so.”
So, in her own words, she claims a spiritual/religious belief and DHS asks her to "...submit a letter on official church stationery, attesting to the fact that you are a member in good standing and the church’s official position on the bearing of arms.” and there is really an issue? Do you people really just sit around all day looking for stupid points to somehow show that you are so biased that everybody else is wrong (oh, wait, you linked to HP, where they are biased and use biased sources)? And yet, with no bias, I show the stupidity behind this topic.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:42 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
I agree that it was stupid. Stupid to try to force church membership on a person in the first instance. It was not stupid to challenge this demand.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
So, in her own words, she claims a spiritual/religious belief .
If you continue to read past the section you highlighted, it becomes obvious that the woman is referencing her choices regarding religious belief and not indicating a subscription to any particular religious belief.
She wrote:
Quote:
my beliefs are as strong and deeply held as those who possess traditional religious beliefs and who believe in God
Was it not obvious to you when you read that sentence that this woman was comparing and contrasting herself with those who subscribe to a belief in a god? Did you not read that far before deciding to characterize us as people who sit around " looking for stupid points?"

Those of us who did bother to look for those stupid points discovered that it is indeed a case of a woman who does not believe in a god. Those who did not, well, I suppose they may have reached the same conclusions as you.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:22 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,075,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
If you continue to read past the section you highlighted, it becomes obvious that the woman is referencing her choices regarding religious belief and not indicating a subscription to any particular religious belief.
She wrote:

Was it not obvious to you when you read that sentence that this woman was comparing and contrasting herself with those who subscribe to a belief in a god? Did you not read that far before deciding to characterize us as people who sit around " looking for stupid points?"

Those of us who did bother to look for those stupid points discovered that it is indeed a case of a woman who does not believe in a god. Those who did not, well, I suppose they may have reached the same conclusions as you.
Whether or not she believes in "God" or not has no bearing, she claimed it was her "lifelong spiritual and religious belief imposed" that kept her from "bearing arms".

Your issue is the simple fact that DHS asked for a letter showing her standing in a church and her churches official position on said subject. This alone is not enough to deny her change of status. It was merely an inquiry into her claim.

Your whole premise is the fact that she is an atheist and by what right does the govt have to "deny" her change of status (which wasn't shown or proven to actually be the case). Again, this is a stupid discussion based on premises that haven't been shown to be anything more than an inquiry that some didn't bother to look at and instead changed it to some dog and pony argument about atheism.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Whether or not she believes in "God" or not has no bearing, she claimed it was her "lifelong spiritual and religious belief imposed" that kept her from "bearing arms".

Yet in your previous post you claimed that she did and this made the difference.

Before we continue, perhaps you should make up your mind about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism