U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2017, 11:04 AM

1,294 posts, read 610,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
have you already started college and are thinking about quitting or have you been working and thinking about going and getting an education? Community college is super cheap. It's about $5500 a year where I live and it will save you up to $2500 off your federal taxes.

I vote you go even if that means a reduced load because you work full time.
I've gone for a couple math courses, but that's all so far. I've been out of school now for like 2 years and working full time for that amount of time.

The community college where I am is around $3000/year part time. So it's really not that bad, in the grand scheme of things.
I'd say my biggest reservation is probably prerequisite classes and the time commitment. I guess I'd be best off just calling and seeing what I'd need to do to take the classes I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 12:07 PM

9,562 posts, read 10,302,330 times
I guess my answer all depends on what it is you are actually doing?

Old 01-26-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I guess my answer all depends on what it is you are actually doing?
Depends on the day of the week for the most part.

Web development, application development, machine controls programming, engineering, networking are some things that will come up over the course of a week or two.

If I could keep any two aspects of my job, I'd probably wanna do machine controls and engineering. I always thought I wanted to be a programmer, and even started when I was pretty young, but now that I don't do it because I want to, I do it because I have to, it's kind of killed my whole drive for it.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:06 PM

In that case, yes I would get some sort of degree.

I'm in engineering, and we have a couple bright techs here who do engineering related tasks, but since they have no formal degree, it really does hold them back in terms of pay/position. So it all depends on how far you want to advance

Old 01-27-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I'm in engineering, and we have a couple bright techs here who do engineering related tasks, but since they have no formal degree, it really does hold them back in terms of pay/position. So it all depends on how far you want to advance
That's unfortunate for me haha. I guess I couldn't blame a company for wanting me to have some credentials behind my name before I start building anything critical.

The company I work for has offered to pay for schooling if I go for Engineering or Controls, so I may end up taking that offer up. What I'm mostly worried about is getting into a situation where they expect me to work almost full time on engineering while working full time on computer programming and full time on network administration.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:44 AM

I'd say Controls has it's place in the upcoming "automated" workforce.

And yeah, it's coming. There's a huge push in my company to automate everything are remove the manufacturing worker, as a lot of our losses come from human error. So with the push to automate comes the need for people who can develop those systems

Old 01-27-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I'd say Controls has it's place in the upcoming "automated" workforce.

And yeah, it's coming. There's a huge push in my company to automate everything are remove the manufacturing worker, as a lot of our losses come from human error. So with the push to automate comes the need for people who can develop those systems
Yeah, interestingly enough my place in programming is largely to automate certain areas of field service work. Everybody here is pushing full steam ahead for that change.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:34 PM

40,843 posts, read 18,553,245 times
After just 18 years of service, my microwave oven died on me. And you know the warranty no longer covered it! Anyway, I bought a new one and it seems to work just fine with one exception. My old microwave beeped four times when the clock ran down to zero, and it was four rapid beeps...beep-beep-beep-beep, very much in the same rhythm pattern of Carlos Santana's "Oye Como Va." This new machine beeps, but it is Beep..pause..Beep..pause...beep-beep. And if you open the door before it finishes beeping, it goes into three rapid beeps. Most puzzling to me is that if you let it finish its beeping, and then open the door, it beeps again once.

Now, why would the manufactures have it do that? What is that door opening beep supposed to be alerting you to? That the food is ready? You must already know that or you would not be opening the door. I thought about writing to the company and asking, but that would require more effort than I am willing to devote to satire. Besides, what are they going to do...send me a new microwave that doesn't beep when you open the door?

Thinking about this has given me an idea. Instead of beeps, microwaves should have musical selections like with ring tones. You program your microwave and select the song you want to signal you when the food is ready. For example, wouldn't be better if instead of beeps, your microwave gave you a few bars of the opening to the Door's "Touch Me?" Or classical music fans might want the the first four notes of Beethoven's Fifth.

So, before I launch my new microwave ring tone business, I'd like to hear ideas and suggestions. What songs would you like alerting you to the completion of the cooking?

Old 02-01-2017, 05:37 PM

4,507 posts, read 3,908,225 times
Tomorrow I head out of state for a funeral of my husbands relative.

I'm so dreading it because it'll be a very religious affair.

Wish me luck.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Tomorrow I head out of state for a funeral of my husbands relative.

I'm so dreading it because it'll be a very religious affair.

Wish me luck.
I don't know the situation and I don't mean to be presumptuous; but I think the more important thing is being there for your husband. Fights over the religious affairs can wait for another day

Good luck and best of wishes to the family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism