U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 11:13 AM

1,294 posts, read 610,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Sounds like Richard Hammond - arrive in heaven backwards in a ball of flame.
It's Hunter S. Thompson! I love that guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 11:27 AM

39,070 posts, read 10,842,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
It's Hunter S. Thompson! I love that guy.
Good for him. Sounds like he lives life to the full. Of course for those of us who find that CD 25 of the complete Scarlatti sonatas while trying to identity an 1899 Japanese overprinted for use in China is living life to the full neither need feel envious of him or apologetic about ourselves.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:14 PM

25,811 posts, read 13,417,575 times
Quote:
Good for him. Sounds like he lives life to the full. Of course for those of us who find that CD 25 of the complete Scarlatti sonatas while trying to identity an 1899 Japanese overprinted for use in China is living life to the full neither need feel envious of him or apologetic about ourselves.
Thomson was a literary hero of mine. He did indeed live life to the max - often under the influence of various non-prescribed pharmaceutical products - until he decided to shoot himself in the head a few years ago.

A favourite saying of his that I've adopted many a time: "When the going gets weird - the weird turn Pro."

RIP Doc.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:23 PM

1,294 posts, read 610,716 times
Quote:
Indeed, I just find that Hunter S. Thompson wrote a lot of very quotable things.

Quote:
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
A favourite saying of his that I've adopted many a time: "When the going gets weird - the weird turn Pro."

RIP Doc.
I'm assuming you've seen or read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas?
When I mess up my parking and someone comments, I always like to say "Is this not a reasonable place to park?"

Then from the original Disney Alice in Wonderland, the one line I loved: "Mustard? Don't let's be silly."

Old 02-17-2017, 12:32 PM

25,811 posts, read 13,417,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Indeed, I just find that Hunter S. Thompson wrote a lot of very quotable things.

I'm assuming you've seen or read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas?
When I mess up my parking and someone comments, I always like to say "Is this not a reasonable place to park?"

Then from the original Disney Alice in Wonderland, the one line I loved: "Mustard? Don't let's be silly."
Yep. Read it in the 60s and Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail in the early 70s. He wrote extensively - and for a while exclusively - for Rolling Stone magazine and would give Editor/Publisher Jann Wenner nightmares. Wenner would ask for 2,000 words and Thomson would hand in 11,000 - an hour before deadline. Or two weeks late.

He was a character and a half. His widow is now marketing his signature brand of marijuana.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:39 AM

While watching Scotland go to an unexpected and well -earned win in the 6 nations I got to thinking about national anthems (they play them of course before the game) and the Scottish one is very fine rather like mist - rather beautiful but shapeless and all over the shop.

I looked up a few top 10 national anthems, and it depended on the criterion. I took it as pure original composition - which is why Israel's fails to make it - it sounds too much like Ma Vlast. And Italy and Brazil just sound like Verdi and Rossini wrote them

So here are my top ones

1 Russia
2 Germany
3 Wales
4 Japan
5 Open to contenders (S A, Canada, Bangladesh..plenty of contenders).

No, sorry the US, UK and French national anthems do not quite make it because of upsetting tonal twists or drifting off into compositional waffle - and the UK anthem is just dreary.

But the No 1 is the unofficial anthem of England, which would push the others down a notch. I think it just edges Russia ..just. and Gerrmany..just.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrzApHZUUF0

Old 03-01-2017, 06:08 AM

ps. I had to post the Scottish national Anthem. Fyne...vurry fyne...but nay sae canny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnKkN-DjXt8

and the uncanny resemblance to "We love you Birdie" we can put down to coinciidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNysD5d8npk

it goes on a bit with the whole show (you may like it) but no law says you can't cut a you tube - I do it all the time - especially Theist apologetic presentations.

Next...Japan..and if Russia had a hit -tune, it had lyrics problems. Just as Germany and Japan had associative problems, re. which they just have to tough it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29FFHC2D12Q

Yep -yep, I know...but it's the only one brings tears to my eyes (p.s not just because of the line about "Pebbles growing into boulders" .)

Another thing...my mind is as wayward as the Flower of Scotland (is the thistle a flower? I suppose so) ....was the re -enactment of Pearl harbour at an airshow (I think it was the "Confederate Air Force") with one voice saying they should have not showed it..and a B 29 with "A" painted on the side and the bomb -doors open, flying above the crowd - and there were protests about that, too.

My 2 splonders -worth - the re -enactment was right and the protesters wrong. We learn from history - we don't pretend it never happened, and we don't bear grudges. Pretend we don't, anyway.

Speaking of which..in at number three..the anthem of my Host country...until they track me down and evict me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUnCwV3AYE

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-01-2017 at 07:00 AM..

Old 03-01-2017, 08:30 AM
Status: "I'm travelling at the speed of light." (set 10 days ago)

1,233 posts, read 607,503 times
Quote:
While watching Scotland go to an unexpected and well -earned win in the 6 nations I got to thinking about national anthems (they play them of course before the game) and the Scottish one is very fine rather like mist - rather beautiful but shapeless and all over the shop.

I looked up a few top 10 national anthems, and it depended on the criterion. I took it as pure original composition - which is why Israel's fails to make it - it sounds too much like Ma Vlast. And Italy and Brazil just sound like Verdi and Rossini wrote them

So here are my top ones

1 Russia
2 Germany
3 Wales
4 Japan
5 Open to contenders (S A, Canada, Bangladesh..plenty of contenders).
That's nice, Transponder *takes hat off*. Papa Haydn really did a good job.
Personally I like the anthem of the old DDR (East Germany) even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTV92wqYjfA

Old 03-01-2017, 08:35 AM

Default p.p.p.ps..

And I have to remark about two of my most beloved countries -Thailand and Myanmar and their national anthems and their place on a list.

The list would not be long enough. Sorry, but the Thai anthem sounds like the theme music for a Thai language equivalent of "The Flintstones". And Myanmar..well it's just as well they never get a podium 1st as nobody could ever play that. If you played in a Burmese tea house nobody would stand up (never mind the ceiling being only five feet high) as you couldn't tell it from the background tape of Burmese cafe -songs.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
That's nice, Transponder *takes hat off*. Papa Haydn really did a good job.
Personally I like the anthem of the old DDR (East Germany) even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTV92wqYjfA
Thank you! It sounds like something Mahler might have written as a student (at least as far as the orchestral back up goes - (1) And the German anthem ought to be Austria's really, but maybe they don't want it back now.

And maybe someone can find a version of the SA anthem (also of Zimbabwe and Tanzania, so I gather) where you can actually hear the tune through the rendering. But I first heard the Bangladesh national anthem at a presentation in the Commonwealth institute in London, England, just after they got independent from Pakistan. I thought it was in the upper 3rd.

Damn! They changed it! This Kirtan or Ghyal setting of Tagore isn't what I heard.

hang on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSGiwf7KlrQ

Unless my Intuition is playing me false...

P.p.p.p.p.p.ps.... I did Burma a miss-service. The Chorus will do fine, if Takraw ever becomes an Olympic sport. And during my visits, nobody played the Anthem of the Junta..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Ynt9HVMQM

(1) I must be mistranslating that - "Be upstanding for the ruin of East Germany?"

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-01-2017 at 09:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism