U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 08:16 AM

1,294 posts, read 610,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Ahhhhh.. you don't get how these people are true flatterers! The know that ALL people have a common favourite subject they love to talk about - themselves, their doings, their complaints and what interests them.
I found it funny that I posted that right after TRANSPONDER said this haha
Oh well. Case and point I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That's some cold stuff
Indeed. Don't wanna dip your hand in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 06:36 AM

9,585 posts, read 10,315,341 times
We've played around with some liquid N2 and CO2 at work. Definitely don't want to get sloppy around that stuff.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:27 AM

39,040 posts, read 10,831,421 times
Default ...........(insert title)

Has amyone else notices a REALLY annoying type of site...no not the ones that clutter what you are after (what.? Never!!! ) with adverts and if you get what you are after, it presents a screen asking to sign up to some regular payment scam....the one where you get to an information pager, and after the first para, you can't scroll down and then a picture of Trump staring out at you pops up.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:57 AM

4,509 posts, read 3,910,598 times
Anything with Trump is really annoying

Old 04-16-2017, 07:50 AM

Default I was just thinking....

After watching a couple of programmes on the Indus valley civilisations and Sumer, I reflected that it had grated on me whenever the narrator said "before Christ'. From my point of view, you might as well say 'Before Santa' At least it would be openly 'B,S'.

So I can't help thinking, inconvenient though it might be, a change of calendar is really needed. While it would appear to be logical to date everything from the formation of the earth or the appearance of life, not only would that lead to dates looking like Zimbabwean currency denominations, the dates are so vague, you might as well have a more modern Year 1 date picked with a pin.

No; better if it was Year 1 of something we know happened and was Very Important. Declaration of Independence? Code of Hammurabi? Collapse of Communism? Birth of Newton?

For me, there is one date that stands out, because it marks a sea -change in human thought and has had massive influence throughout the world, even without it being known.

I refer of course to the publication of Origin of Species. While on the face of it, merely explaining a biological question, it opened up the doors to a revolution in human thought that is still going on today and has hardly seen it's potential - for understanding ourselves, our society and our behaviour. It was that book that (even if nobody knew it at the time) made deists atheists by default.

It would have the handy effect of having Darwin's day made a (global) national holiday and, while it would mean that the entire global calendrical system..(s) would have to be brought into line (before that blasted B.C becomes too entrenched), it would have the benefit of pissing the Christians off no end.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:28 AM

15,310 posts, read 10,337,831 times
Quote:
After watching a couple of programmes on the Indus valley civilisations and Sumer, I reflected that it had grated on me whenever the narrator said "before Christ'. From my point of view, you might as well say 'Before Santa' At least it would be openly 'B,S'.

So I can't help thinking, inconvenient though it might be, a change of calendar is really needed. While it would appear to be logical to date everything from the formation of the earth or the appearance of life, not only would that lead to dates looking like Zimbabwean currency denominations, the dates are so vague, you might as well have a more modern Year 1 date picked with a pin.

No; better if it was Year 1 of something we know happened and was Very Important. Declaration of Independence? Code of Hammurabi? Collapse of Communism? Birth of Newton?

For me, there is one date that stands out, because it marks a sea -change in human thought and has had massive influence throughout the world, even without it being known.

I refer of course to the publication of Origin of Species. While on the face of it, merely explaining a biological question, it opened up the doors to a revolution in human thought that is still going on today and has hardly seen it's potential - for understanding ourselves, our society and our behaviour. It was that book that (even if nobody knew it at the time) made deists atheists by default.

It would have the handy effect of having Darwin's day made a (global) national holiday and, while it would mean that the entire global calendrical system..(s) would have to be brought into line (before that blasted B.C becomes too entrenched), it would have the benefit of pissing the Christians off no end.
Well my dear old fruit bat. We do tend to use the more acceptable BCE and CE now, rather than BC and AD. Won't that do?

Old 04-16-2017, 01:31 PM

It will do, as it makes the best of a bad job. Common Era makes me wince a bit but it doesn't rasp my teeth.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:54 PM

40,896 posts, read 18,562,052 times
Quote:

So I can't help thinking, inconvenient though it might be, a change of calendar is really needed.

It would be a lot more than inconvenient. Every publication in existence which references any dates would be rendered obsolete. All electronic devices with built in clocks/calendars would have to be reconfigured. Historians would have to either memorize all new dates, or be math whizzes who can instantly translate old dates into the new system in their heads. Right now I can tell you that Caesar was assassinated in 44 BCE without it requiring a calculator. I'm not enthusiastic about the idea of needing that calculator.

Remember how in the '70's President Carter planned to take the nation over to the metric system? Remember how far that got before everyone gave up because the task was too overwhelming? The change you are endorsing would be the same...inconvenient beyond toleration levels.

I would be all for it as the correct logical move if it could be achieved without requiring so massive an effort, but that is fantasy.

Finally...what date represents the start of history? No matter what you select it will just as artificial as fixing time to the supposed date of the birth of Jesus. You would eliminate the religious error in favor of a randomly selected error.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:07 PM

All perfectly true. It would be very inconvenient, though it could be done in a gradual phasing in as books have to be replaced etc. But the need isn't there, really.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:17 PM

4,509 posts, read 3,910,598 times
You know what I think needs fixing? February. I mean, 28 days? WTF? Can't we have 30 days in Jan, Feb, March & April?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism