U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2013, 09:48 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,776,585 times

Advertisements

The main religion forum would be much more interesting if the different religions would battle it out once in a while. Like when someone posts something like "the god of the bible is the one true god. period." it would be interesting to see someone from another religion question that. Never seems to happen. Just us non-believers calling them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 03:25 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,365,377 times
Maybe people from other religions know that playing "my god is better than your god" or "my god can beat your god" is silly...I can see comparing religions if you really believe. But it comes down to what you're raised with and hold on to or what fairytale you think suits your life. I go with no fairytale, I used to compare them all and came to the conclusion that it's all man made and they all have huge faults and contradictions and they're all made by men at a time in history when women were seen as the lesser beings. Unless you believe that, it'll start creating a problem. Especially when more women use different media and connect with the rest of the world.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:20 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,225,852 times
Here's an amusing tale of what happened when a non-religious family with mixed backgrounds (father Jewish, mother Catholic) decided that their son should learn about their ancestral religions so he could decide if he wanted to follow one:

Tales of My Childhood #6 | News From ME

Old 11-25-2013, 07:34 AM

39,091 posts, read 10,849,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Here's an amusing tale of what happened when a non-religious family with mixed backgrounds (father Jewish, mother Catholic) decided that their son should learn about their ancestral religions so he could decide if he wanted to follow one:

There's nothing like being the scion of a Catholic - Jewish mix to make one disinclined to be anything religious at all.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:34 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,085,887 times
Quote:

Thanks for this BTW, I read it this weekend and it is so well put together and entertaining. Highly recommended reading!

Old 11-25-2013, 12:17 PM

40,975 posts, read 18,573,926 times
Quote:

I enjoyed this piece as well, I related to it because I also went through a period of embattlement when I was the lone atheist at a Catholic high school. Things were never as bad for me in that there was no Avik style fanatic character in the picture, but on the other hand, unlike the author of the saga, my parents were also in the enemy camp.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:41 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,225,852 times
Glad you liked the story! Mark's been blogging since before it was called blogging; I check his site regularly.

Here's a story from the UK:

Treading A Sin Line Funny & Unusual Family Stories – Not Always Related

Quote:
(My dad is watching a documentary on religion in the middle ages, while I’m sitting at my laptop half-listening to it. At one point, the host begins to explain Heaven and Hell.)

Me: “Does she really have to explain what Heaven and Hell are?”

Dad: “Yeah, why not?”

Me: “Well, I’m sure pretty much everyone already knows what they are, even non-Christians.”

Dad: “Yeah, but very few people actually believe that stuff.”

Me: “I… what? I’m pretty sure they do.”

Dad: “Who?”

Me: “About one third of the entire planet!”

Old 11-26-2013, 09:03 AM

4,509 posts, read 3,914,694 times
*changing the subject*

I just want to bang my head against the wall sometimes. Got caught up in a debate (elsewhere) about personal responsibility. How terrible is it to think that people should live within their means and not think others (god, church, welfare, etc) should be taking care of you?

Got called out for 'judging' people. Hell yeah.

My example: our old neighbors thought the world 'owed' them something because they had a tragedy in their life. For months, I saw them have workmen over, new kitchen, new landscape. They got new cars, a motorcycle. They told us about the month they spent in Italy and the winter vacation to the tropics.

Then one day I saw a moving van in their driveway. I wondered if they were getting a divorce! For two days they emptied the house. On the third day a new moving van showed up with new people.

Turns out they had sold their house quietly - private transaction. Seems the house had leans on it - they were thousands of dollars in CC debt. All those things they had and did - they never paid for.

Now they have 'started a business' of house sitting - which means they will charge you for coming to live in your house while you're gone. Being older folks I think they are getting away with it because they seem trustworthy. But what they are doing is hiding from their creditors, getting paid in cash, and living well (because those that can pay for house sitters are the better off folks) in your home.

But according to those I was arguing with, they were entitled to 'help' and we 'shouldn't judge'.

I say: personal responsibility. They had none. They drove up their debts knowing full well what they were doing.

But somehow that's the same as people who go bankrupt because the wife got cancer and they spent all their savings and retirement on medical bills.

Don't judge.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry - just needed to vent.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:29 PM

14,197 posts, read 9,085,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
But according to those I was arguing with, they were entitled to 'help' and we 'shouldn't judge'.
This opinion could have equally well been inspired by midwestern "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it" conservatism, or bleeding heart liberalism. In the US at least, most people seem desperate to smooth things over and not rock the boat. I come from a background like that and keepin' it real with people is still a bit stressful for me at times.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:23 PM

4,509 posts, read 3,914,694 times
It was a very liberal discussion.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm very much a Democrat on lots of issues. I think we need a national health care. I think what happens to a woman's body is her own business. I think we should help people who need help.

But fiscal responsibility - from the White House to my house - is a huge issue for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism