Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2017, 06:56 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Hmm. Might have to resort to that. Since I posted they have been around twice more. Still very brief but asked me if I 'enjoyed' the literature I left them. I said "no not really since it was mainly all about disasters". They laughed.
Have a feeling they will be back. How long before they ask me about 'god'? So far I have staved them off by only talking to them from behind the screen door.
So, give em a taste of their own medicine. Make up your own religion with assorted beliefs and precepts, and when they come around with their literature, invite them in but don't give them a chance to talk. Instead start babbling about your religion and how grateful you are for this opportunity to bring new people to the truth and so forth. Insist that all your assertions are absolutely true and not subject to question. Tell em that they are certainly going to hell for their false views, but have a chance to be saved if they will only open their hearts to "THE TRUTH."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 08:01 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
So, give em a taste of their own medicine. Make up your own religion with assorted beliefs and precepts, and when they come around with their literature, invite them in but don't give them a chance to talk. Instead start babbling about your religion and how grateful you are for this opportunity to bring new people to the truth and so forth. Insist that all your assertions are absolutely true and not subject to question. Tell em that they are certainly going to hell for their false views, but have a chance to be saved if they will only open their hearts to "THE TRUTH."
LOL.
In the past throwing out the atheist card has usually been quite effective, buy these guys haven't asked those sorts of questions yet.
As a parting comment they did ask me something about spirituality I think - I can't remember the question exactly, but I remember leaving them with "we're all set in that department, thanks" and shut the door. LOL. Quite entertaining if I'm honest. I crack myself up sometimes. (Mystic will be along soon with his disapproving finger wagging I'm sure). Haha.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:03 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
LOL.
In the past throwing out the atheist card has usually been quite effective, buy these guys haven't asked those sorts of questions yet.
As a parting comment they did ask me something about spirituality I think - I can't remember the question exactly, but I remember leaving them with "we're all set in that department, thanks" and shut the door. LOL. Quite entertaining if I'm honest. I crack myself up sometimes. (Mystic will be along soon with his disapproving finger wagging I'm sure). Haha.
Why would you think that, Cruithne???

Old 11-06-2017, 02:26 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Well...here you are, Mystic

Old 11-08-2017, 09:54 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Why would you think that, Cruithne???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Well...here you are, Mystic
Ha ha!!!

I don't know Mystic, you give me the impression that you frown upon atheists making fun of Christians (JV's are a branch of Christianity, am I right)? In the real world I mean.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:18 PM

Default 10 commandments..busted

I watched a Hemant Mehta (friendly atheist) video recently (1) on how atheists could emulate the actions of the owners of the 10 commandments mionument when it was vandalized. They want to talk to the person and ask why he did it and talk it over. Wouldn't it be good if atheists reacted that way instead of getting hostile?

Well, I found out (this may be old news, i know) that it was a Christian who did it. Now I would have placed a huge bet that it had to be an atheist, and if so, they were wrong to do it. I know the monument in un -constitutional, but the way to deal with that is invoke the law and if the Law won't do anything, you don't take it into your own hands.

A Christian Man Vandalized the Ten Commandments Monument at the Arkansas Capitol – Friendly Atheist

So he is in the wrong and his only defence will be that God's law trumps man -made law.

And that's what I was going to go on to say about atheists reacting their billboards getting defaced. Ask for a reasonable discussion on why that was done. What would be the response? A reasonable discussion? I don't think so.

(1) He's an ex -Jain, and interesting to hear how similar those religions are (and Religions they are) and increases my view that Buddhism was pretty much based on the earlier Jain religion as a way for the Khsatriya cast to take power and authority from the Brahmin caste by sidelining the gods. He also came to the view that Karma would not work as it could not decide what was really a good or bad deed (My line was that it would have to be a thinking entity and therefore a god).

Old 11-12-2017, 04:20 PM

Happened to see a flurry about a Living fossil caught off Japan (though some seemed to say Portugal (1). The frilled shark, a metre or so long has been known for some time but hadn't been caught or filmed before, thus the flurry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-3giusd80M

I suppose it's going to ignite the 'See? Prehistoric creatures are still around, so the earth can't be millions of years old" argument. But the perception of evolution, rather ruled by the vanishment of the dinosaurs has been tempered by realizing that one branch - the birds - is still around. Thus, rather than demanding as explanation as to why ancient animals are still around, we need a very good explanation of why they aren't.

Notable a lot of these living fossils are sea creatures. But some of the dinosaurs live in the sea, too. Having to go on shore to lay eggs doesn't seam to have bothered the king crabs and turtles, so why did the Plesiosaurs and Mosasaurs die out? Why the Ichthyosaurs, which didn't need to go on land and so adapted totally to a fish -shape. Exactly the same adaptation that Mammals did with seals and dolphins.

I'm still trying to work out why the dinosaurs didn't make it As soo as I've cracked it I'll let the Palaeontologists know.

(1) there was a smaller one caught off the Algarve coast.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:24 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm still trying to work out why the dinosaurs didn't make it As soo as I've cracked it I'll let the Palaeontologists know.
Gary Larson figured it out.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:23 PM

Good one But it wasn't that reason. Can't post the pic for some reason (1) but Satan is asking God "So, is the Extinction going to be part of your plan or my interference?"

(1) probably connected with the very strange thing that happened to my Hit Count and probably means that my entire computer has been Hi -jacked.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:03 AM

Default Brexit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcwuBo4PvE0

Sorry. The UK doesn't matter a damn' to you people I know. "Yoo kay? Ain't that somewhere near Kosservo?" But this talk is a very good one - no surprises for me, I have to say, but again floating around what we have to do. Even if the idea of doing it seems Not an Option. Like a Believer being asked to consider not believing - just as a concept.

Have the independence referendums. end the UK. Have an English Royal family, if we must have this overpriced cultural relic at all (1) - Scotland never recognized Elizabeth the 1st anyway, so there is no Elizabeth II of Scotland. And let each country be part of Europe, and Let the Brexiters and Ukip sink into the North sea.

....more.... it is odd how the Thai and British Royals seemed to share the same ..fate and now the balance seems poised in both cases for the decision that there is no good reason to perpetuate the Royal farce.

The bod said that we Liburls don't understand the 'leave' areas. I think I do. The Leavers were like the Trumpettes, the Palin -voters, and the tea -party. They what a quick easy solution to all problems. One their tiny minds can take in.

Get the Bible and Jesus back into schools and everything will be perfect.

Leave europe and all our Immigrants, crime and economic problems will vanish.

I know. I have talked to them and they will not listen. They would far rather pick up racist slogans from scummy daily rags or the inflammatory leaflets that pop through the door or around the Internet or even down the pub in between moaning about the ban on smoking "Brussels taking away our sovrin rights, that's wot mate.." rather that listen to the other side.

And it's not because explanations and reasoning are more work than -"leave Europe - get rid of the Muslims" but as soon as they hear anything that conflicts with their prejudices and the quick fix arguments they have been sold, they slam the shutters down.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-28-2017 at 10:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism