Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 12:52 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,918,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think Dawkins might have done a good job, too. But probably Tyson is the better choice. Holding attention as narrator requires perhaps a bit more showmanship than Dawkins has within him. Tyson's "arrogance" might be an asset in that context. On the other hand there's nothing like a British accent that says "sophisticated and knowledgeable" better to Americans, for some reason. Do you Brits find American accents as fascinating as some of us seem to find yours?

As for Kaku, yeah, he's omnipresent, isn't he?
While we're waiting for Cruithne's answer I'll just point out that Dawkins isn't a cosmologist, so I'd agree with you. Even though his Enghlish accent is charming, it doesn't make a difference to me. Having a nice voice in general is a plus, however.

Yes, being a good showman is useful as well.

Honestly, it's hard for me to imagine anyone filling Carl Sagan's shoes on Cosmos. Bill Nye might be good even though he is actually a mechanical engineer, he's very well read and well spoken. I'll have to give some more thought to the subject though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 12:53 PM

10,492 posts, read 6,105,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think Dawkins might have done a good job, too. But probably Tyson is the better choice. Holding attention as narrator requires perhaps a bit more showmanship than Dawkins has within him. Tyson's "arrogance" might be an asset in that context. On the other hand there's nothing like a British accent that says "sophisticated and knowledgeable" better to Americans, for some reason. Do you Brits find American accents as fascinating as some of us seem to find yours?

As for Kaku, yeah, he's omnipresent, isn't he?
Well if it was going to be my choice, no question, I'd have gone for Professor Brian Cox hands down. You guys probably don't know him too well but not only is he a great presenter and incredibly intelligent but he's great eye candy too for us girlies. But he's done tons of British versions of basically the same type of series, so I guess for him it would be too much of the same thing. However he was also majorly influenced by Carl Sagan as a child so I'm sure he wouldn't have turned down the opportunity if asked.

Here's Cox being really very amusing about why its not acceptable to promote bad science, with a nod to Sagan:

(skip to about 4 minutes in)

Brian Cox: it is not acceptable to promote bad science - YouTube

I'm told that British accents do seem to come across as 'knowledgeable' to Americans. I've been told that by many people. To me the accent doesn't matter. Obviously there are a great many knowledgeable Americans too.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
While we're waiting for Cruithne's answer I'll just point out that Dawkins isn't a cosmologist, so I'd agree with you. Even though his Enghlish accent is charming, it doesn't make a difference to me. Having a nice voice in general is a plus, however.

Yes, being a good showman is useful as well.

Honestly, it's hard for me to imagine anyone filling Carl Sagan's shoes on Cosmos. Bill Nye might be good even though he is actually a mechanical engineer, he's very well read and well spoken. I'll have to give some more thought to the subject though.
Here's Cox being enthusiastic about physics on one of his programmes:

Why Professor Brian Cox Loves Physics - YouTube

Old 03-07-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Here's Cox being enthusiastic about physics on one of his programmes:

Why Professor Brian Cox Loves Physics - YouTube
Yes, Brian Cox would be very good as well. I thought of others who would make it a good show:

Carolyn Porco
Michelle Thaller
Lawrence Krauss

What do you think?

Old 03-07-2014, 02:02 PM

7,571 posts, read 6,029,378 times
I will jump in here and suggest Brain May. He was a founding member of the Rock Band Queen, so he has performance experience. He has a degree in Astrophysics, so he has the knowledge. I do not know if he would want to do it or not.
My son has a book that he co-authored illustrating the Big Bang in basic terms, and he is quite a good writer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nISwx3VbRA

Old 03-07-2014, 02:08 PM

7,571 posts, read 6,029,378 times
Here is a link with info onto Brian May's book.
Bang!: The Complete History of the Universe: Brian May, Patrick Moore, Chris Lintott: 9781780971698: Amazon.com: Books

No one can replace Carl Sagan on Cosmos though

I admired him at a young age, even though several church members tried to discourage me from watching Cosmos
I watched it anyhow. In a way, science , logic and reason won out over superstition, myth and fear.

It is a shame more people cannot "SEE THE LIGHT" as I did. Religion causes far more distress in the world than it could ever be worth.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Yes, Brian Cox would be very good as well. I thought of others who would make it a good show:

Carolyn Porco
Michelle Thaller
Lawrence Krauss

What do you think?
All good choices Joan. It would be good to have a female presenting one of these shows for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I will jump in here and suggest Brain May. He was a founding member of the Rock Band Queen, so he has performance experience. He has a degree in Astrophysics, so he has the knowledge. I do not know if he would want to do it or not.
My son has a book that he co-authored illustrating the Big Bang in basic terms, and he is quite a good writer.
Blow me down I never knew Brian May was an astrophysicist. He'd have to get a haircut for me to watch him though. I couldn't bear looking at the Universe through all that hair

Interesting though. There has been much talk of the correlation between natural musicality and intelligence. I don't know how much truth there is in it, but playing a musical instrument seems to come naturally to many scientists. The aforementioned Brian Cox was in successful bands Dare and then D-Ream before going on to study physics. Einstein played the violin for relaxation.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
All good choices Joan. It would be good to have a female presenting one of these shows for a change.

Thanks. Wouldn't that be nice... an actual female representative on a science show?

Blow me down I never knew Brian May was an astrophysicist. He'd have to get a haircut for me to watch him though. I couldn't bear looking at the Universe through all that hair

Interesting though. There has been much talk of the correlation between natural musicality and intelligence. I don't know how much truth there is in it, but playing a musical instrument seems to come naturally to many scientists. The aforementioned Brian Cox was in successful bands Dare and then D-Ream before going on to study physics. Einstein played the violin for relaxation.
I've noticed the correlation between what I'll call genious and music as well. It makes sense, really. I wonder if they use the same part of the brain?

Old 03-08-2014, 12:48 PM

OMG. I just turned the TV on and found that the National Geographic Channel is showing the original COSMOS series. lol

Old 03-08-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
OMG. I just turned the TV on and found that the National Geographic Channel is showing the original COSMOS series. lol
I know I meant to mention that. I'm taping both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism