Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2019, 10:35 AM

10,489 posts, read 6,098,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Not sure why this was posted in the AA forum; there's tons of posts about this in the Diet & Weight Loss forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-weight-loss/

But to address your question, I've been doing IF since late August, nearly five months. Specifically, OMAD (One Meal a Day). Check the Diet forum for further information.

It's a chat about anything thread.
My first though was it sounded like pseudo science. Perhaps that's why the poster thought to post it here - we tend to be a rational / logical bunch on this forum - we sort out the wheat from the chaff.
But on further investigation it looks like it may be beneficial. Worth a try I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 10:45 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,871,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
It's a chat about anything thread.
My first though was it sounded like pseudo science. Perhaps that's why the poster thought to post it here - we tend to be a rational / logical bunch on this forum - we sort out the wheat from the chaff.
But on further investigation it looks like it may be beneficial. Worth a try I guess.
Yeah, if you'll notice, I changed the "not sure" thing. Hope you include me in the rational/logical category.

I don't believe it's pseudo science, though of course I could be mistaken. The issue is autophagy, which occurs at 12 to perhaps 16 hours of fasting. A Japanese scientist was awarded the Nobel Prize a couple of years ago for research in this area:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshinori_Ohsumi

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6bAkvnvX0W8

Old 01-07-2019, 10:59 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,871,050 times
FWIW, what I'm doing is IF OMAD 22:2, which means a two hour eating window (really more like one hour) which I do early in the morning and then nothing more (except maybe Perrier or Pelligrino mineral water) until the following morning. I could elaborate on what autophagy is supposed to do but you guys don't need my help doing research online.

In my case, I'd like to lose 10 lbs. but it's more about autophagy; I had Stage 1A ovarian cancer seven years ago and I don't want anything like that again. I'm vegan, and no sugar, bread or alcohol.

Advantages are thought to include:
1. Prolongation of life
2. Weight loss
3. Reduction of the likelihood of Parkinson's, Huntington's, dementia and cancer
4. Destruction of bacteria and viruses after an infection
5. Rids the body of damaged proteins and organelles, counteracting the negative effects of ageing
6. Protects against excessive inflammation
7. Reduces fine lines, changes blood pressure and improves lean muscle mass

Link to paper on Autophagy by a Nobel prizewinner:
https://assets.nobelprize.org/upload...440.1534775659

Quote:
Yoshinori Ohsumi (大隅 良典, Ōsumi Yoshinori, born February 9, 1945) is a Japanese cell biologist specializing in autophagy, the process that cells use to destroy and recycle cellular components. Ohsumi is a professor at Tokyo Institute of Technology's Institute of Innovative Research.

Also see his web page:
http://www.ohsumilab.aro.iri.titech.ac.jp/english.html

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 01-07-2019 at 11:28 AM..

Old 01-07-2019, 03:50 PM

15,792 posts, read 6,206,061 times
Thanks all. I have trouble evaluating medical claims sometimes so I was interested it what the skeptics thought. I've been doing a six hour window for a week now and I don't even use the whole 6 hours to eat more than twice. I actually went 23 hours today just because I only ended up eating once in that 6 hour window yesterday. It's easier for me to watch what I eat this way so I'll keep doing it. I did go off the sugar though again, before I couldn't go 2 hours without more sugar.

My cholesterol shot up out of nowhere last blood test so I get another at the end of the month. I'll know if this improves my numbers.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:29 AM

88,014 posts, read 83,827,560 times
Quote:
Yes I'm the same. I find it hard to concentrate when hungry.
I did the fast for the dreaded colonoscopy and endoscopy recently, that they talked me into once I turned 50 (sorry is that too much information LOL ).
It was okay I guess but not sure I could do it on a regular basis.
That being said, I will give what Rafius said some thought. Maybe you need a gradual build up.
I turned 60 this year. Still haven't had it done. Might consider it, though.

When my mother was 81, her long-time doctor retired. She went to see the one who replaced him. He reviewed her medical history and said, "Oh, I see you haven't had a colonoscopy. We'll schedule that." She said, "I don't think so." He looked at her and she said, "I think you doctors do too many invasive tests. I have no problems in that area and there's no history of anything like that in my family. I am not having a colonoscopy." The doctor said, "Well, OK, then."

A couple of years ago, another doctor noted that she hadn't had one and said, "We can't give you a colonoscopy now because we don't do it on people over 85." She said, "Well, I wasn't going to let you do that anyway." She turned 90 in November.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Yeah, if you'll notice, I changed the "not sure" thing. Hope you include me in the rational/logical category.

I don't believe it's pseudo science, though of course I could be mistaken. The issue is autophagy, which occurs at 12 to perhaps 16 hours of fasting. A Japanese scientist was awarded the Nobel Prize a couple of years ago for research in this area:

Yes I include you in the rational/logical category.

I thought about asking my husband about this - he's in the medical research field and views any kind of pseudo science with great disdain, but diet isn't in his field. He works with genetics and pharmacokinetics (drug interactions) so he probably wouldn't know much about this either.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I turned 60 this year. Still haven't had it done. Might consider it, though.

When my mother was 81, her long-time doctor retired. She went to see the one who replaced him. He reviewed her medical history and said, "Oh, I see you haven't had a colonoscopy. We'll schedule that." She said, "I don't think so." He looked at her and she said, "I think you doctors do too many invasive tests. I have no problems in that area and there's no history of anything like that in my family. I am not having a colonoscopy." The doctor said, "Well, OK, then."

A couple of years ago, another doctor noted that she hadn't had one and said, "We can't give you a colonoscopy now because we don't do it on people over 85." She said, "Well, I wasn't going to let you do that anyway." She turned 90 in November.

The procedure is nothing I'll be honest with you. They knock you out so you don't know anything about it and it's over in 20 minutes. I think sometimes the anticipation is way worse. Having had the procedure done I wouldn't think twice about doing it again - it's easy peasy - and I'm such an unbelievable wuss with stuff like this. Just check your insurance covers the cost.

I had mine done because I turned 50 and also because my mother died of colon cancer. But I found I'm completely clear, not even a hint of funny cells so it did put my mind at rest.
After having mine done I convinced hubby to go get his done. They found he had a slightly irritated stomach and they gave him some medication to sort it out. It's a peace of mind thing more than anything else. Go get it done The only inconvenience is having a clear day to go in, and someone to drive you home afterwards (and the aforementioned fasting beforehand).

Old 01-08-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
The procedure is nothing I'll be honest with you. They knock you out so you don't know anything about it and it's over in 20 minutes. I think sometimes the anticipation is way worse. Having had the procedure done I wouldn't think twice about doing it again - it's easy peasy - and I'm such an unbelievable wuss with stuff like this. Just check your insurance covers the cost.

I had mine done because I turned 50 and also because my mother died of colon cancer. But I found I'm completely clear, not even a hint of funny cells so it did put my mind at rest.
After having mine done I convinced hubby to go get his done. They found he had a slightly irritated stomach and they gave him some medication to sort it out. It's a peace of mind thing more than anything else. Go get it done The only inconvenience is having a clear day to go in, and someone to drive you home afterwards (and the aforementioned fasting beforehand).
I am sorry about your mother. My mother-in-law, whom I loved, died of colon cancer five weeks before my daughter was born. She is named for her. She will have to be careful because her dad has already had a few pre-cancerous polyps removed, and she herself tends to have gastrointestinal problems. She's had colonoscopies twice already, and she is only 27. The last one was recently. She's became sick while in a remote area of the Philippines earlier this year and has had issues ever since.

No worries about insurance. I am fortunate to have worked in a public sector job that had the best health insurance benefits in the country, and I took them with me upon retirement.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am sorry about your mother. My mother-in-law, whom I loved, died of colon cancer five weeks before my daughter was born. She is named for her. She will have to be careful because her dad has already had a few pre-cancerous polyps removed, and she herself tends to have gastrointestinal problems. She's had colonoscopies twice already, and she is only 27. The last one was recently. She's became sick while in a remote area of the Philippines earlier this year and has had issues ever since.

No worries about insurance. I am fortunate to have worked in a public sector job that had the best health insurance benefits in the country, and I took them with me upon retirement.

Similarly my mother died about a week after my first child (my son) was born. She'd had colon cancer about a year at that point.

My mother was a terrible worrier. She worried about the most inconsequential things. It was a great shame she didn't get to see any of my kids grow up but honesty my son was diagnosed with Leukemia at 18 months. I always say it's a good thing she never knew about it because if the cancer didn't get her, the worry about my son would have finished her off. My son is 16, almost 17 now and I went on to have 2 more kids.

I'm glad your daughter is having regular checks. Health treatment with this stuff is so successful these days if you can catch things early. Better safe than sorry.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Similarly my mother died about a week after my first child (my son) was born. She'd had colon cancer about a year at that point.

My mother was a terrible worrier. She worried about the most inconsequential things. It was a great shame she didn't get to see any of my kids grow up but honesty my son was diagnosed with Leukemia at 18 months. I always say it's a good thing she never knew about it because if the cancer didn't get her, the worry about my son would have finished her off. My son is 16, almost 17 now and I went on to have 2 more kids.

I'm glad your daughter is having regular checks. Health treatment with this stuff is so successful these days if you can catch things early. Better safe than sorry.
Wow, that must have been frightening with your son, but I am glad he is OK.

My daughter is the opposite of me. Even when she was little, she loved going to the doctor and she always said she was going to be one. (She will be, only of the PhD variety instead of the MD variety. Changed her mind her first semester of college.) If she had a cold, she would ask me to take her to the doctor. I told her it wasn't necessary and explained why going to a doctor wouldn't do anything for a cold, and she would say, "oh, but I would just like to talk to him/her and see what they have to say."

She has bipolar disorder, another gift from her dad, and I think this focus on not fearing the medical professionals probably saved her life. As soon as she notices something's off with herself (for example, manic behavior or thoughts of suicide), she's on the phone making an appointment to get her meds adjusted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism