U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-14-2019, 06:12 AM
 
Location: Somewhere out there.
6,867 posts, read 3,791,335 times
Reputation: 4601

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wow, that must have been frightening with your son, but I am glad he is OK.

My daughter is the opposite of me. Even when she was little, she loved going to the doctor and she always said she was going to be one. (She will be, only of the PhD variety instead of the MD variety. Changed her mind her first semester of college.) If she had a cold, she would ask me to take her to the doctor. I told her it wasn't necessary and explained why going to a doctor wouldn't do anything for a cold, and she would say, "oh, but I would just like to talk to him/her and see what they have to say."

She has bipolar disorder, another gift from her dad, and I think this focus on not fearing the medical professionals probably saved her life. As soon as she notices something's off with herself (for example, manic behavior or thoughts of suicide), she's on the phone making an appointment to get her meds adjusted.



Actually my son is thinking about going into some kind of sports medicine as a career path too. I think they are shaped very much by their life experiences. Not sure if that's what he will end up doing, we will have to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2019, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
41,082 posts, read 18,589,435 times
Reputation: 18723
Clemson beat Alabama for the national college football title, and immediately after the game the Clemson coach started explaining that the credit for triumph belonged to Jesus etc. In fact he began by saying "All the credit goes to the Lord", but then followed it with "...and second it goes to the players, third to the coaches and administrators who backed our program."

Hmmm...if all the credit goes to Jesus, then that doesn't leave any credits for the players or coaches, does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2019, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
15,310 posts, read 10,348,481 times
Reputation: 2612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Clemson beat Alabama for the national college football title, and immediately after the game the Clemson coach started explaining that the credit for triumph belonged to Jesus etc. In fact he began by saying "All the credit goes to the Lord", but then followed it with "...and second it goes to the players, third to the coaches and administrators who backed our program."

Hmmm...if all the credit goes to Jesus, then that doesn't leave any credits for the players or coaches, does it?
Only in America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,165 posts, read 54,630,432 times
Reputation: 66605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Clemson beat Alabama for the national college football title, and immediately after the game the Clemson coach started explaining that the credit for triumph belonged to Jesus etc. In fact he began by saying "All the credit goes to the Lord", but then followed it with "...and second it goes to the players, third to the coaches and administrators who backed our program."

Hmmm...if all the credit goes to Jesus, then that doesn't leave any credits for the players or coaches, does it?
I think there's a superstitious element at play here, meaning that he must feel he has to say that or risk offending "the Lord". But yeah, lol, if ALL the credit already went somewhere else, there's nothing left. Someone should tell him to edit it to "FIRST the credit goes..."

I personally had no idea Jesus was into college football or had favorite US college teams. The things you learn on this forum.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,165 posts, read 54,630,432 times
Reputation: 66605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Actually my son is thinking about going into some kind of sports medicine as a career path too. I think they are shaped very much by their life experiences. Not sure if that's what he will end up doing, we will have to see.
No, you never know what they will end up doing. She was interested in medical things and loved the TV show House and was particularly interested in infectious diseases. Her first semester at college, she took biology courses and she also took Latin, figuring that would help her with medical studies. By the end of that first semester, she called me and said, "Would you be upset if I didn't want to be a doctor?" The answer was no...because I was not the one who ever saw her as a doctor in the first place. SHE had been talking about that since she was a little kid, but I personally don't go to doctors if I can help it, so I certainly didn't push her in that direction.

She said, "It was so interesting dissecting a fetal pig and a sheep's eye" (I remember gagging on the other end of the phone) but I just don't get as excited about the biology as I do about the Latin. I think I want to study languages."

I told her that if she was going to study languages, she should choose a non-Western-European language in order to have a better shot at a career. Then, while Christmas shopping, I happened upon a $20 CD that said, "Learn Chinese in 15 minutes a Day!" and put it in her stocking. She transferred to a different university that had a good language program the next year. She took Russian and Mandarin and decided to stick with the Chinese.

She has two BAs, in Mandarin and Linguistics, will have her Master's in the spring and her PhD in two years. She's lived in China and likely will again. She just got back the other night from a vacation to Barcelona and San Sebastian and regaled me with her tales of what she learned about Catalan and Basque.

No, you don't know what your kid might do.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 08:47 AM
 
Location: On the Edge of the Fringe
4,890 posts, read 3,978,050 times
Reputation: 4138
Today is a day to help others from here at the Cat's House (not the Cathouse) A local charity has set up a food bank for government employees of the airport (Tsa, Customs, police etc) to pick up food for free while the strike is going. These employees are trying to make ends meet without a paycheck due to our ineffective government (and yes, it has seemingly become that)
I told my son that we will take some of those boxes that are cluttering up the garage, go down to the grocery store, fill them with food and take them over to the food back where they will be sorted and then dispatched to the collection point for the workers to take home to feed their families.

This is not a religious or non religious thing to do: it is the Human thing to do.

Busy afternoon ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,165 posts, read 54,630,432 times
Reputation: 66605
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Today is a day to help others from here at the Cat's House (not the Cathouse) A local charity has set up a food bank for government employees of the airport (Tsa, Customs, police etc) to pick up food for free while the strike is going. These employees are trying to make ends meet without a paycheck due to our ineffective government (and yes, it has seemingly become that)
I told my son that we will take some of those boxes that are cluttering up the garage, go down to the grocery store, fill them with food and take them over to the food back where they will be sorted and then dispatched to the collection point for the workers to take home to feed their families.

This is not a religious or non religious thing to do: it is the Human thing to do.

Busy afternoon ahead.
Good on you. A close friend works in DC for the DOJ and is affected. She says she's OK for now, but I let her know that the offer to help stands.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 10:04 AM
Status: "Scarface IS fiction!" (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: Germany
5,123 posts, read 950,954 times
Reputation: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Clemson beat Alabama for the national college football title, and immediately after the game the Clemson coach started explaining that the credit for triumph belonged to Jesus etc. In fact he began by saying "All the credit goes to the Lord", but then followed it with "...and second it goes to the players, third to the coaches and administrators who backed our program."

Hmmm...if all the credit goes to Jesus, then that doesn't leave any credits for the players or coaches, does it?
It also raises the question what did Alabama do wrong? Surely they prayed as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
41,082 posts, read 18,589,435 times
Reputation: 18723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
It also raises the question what did Alabama do wrong? Surely they prayed as well?
They probably had a few devil worshipers on the squad whose evil intentions canceled out the prayers of the others.

The lingering question is how can a man be smart enough to coach the national championship team, while simultaneously being as dumb as his remarks indicated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,165 posts, read 54,630,432 times
Reputation: 66605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
They probably had a few devil worshipers on the squad whose evil intentions canceled out the prayers of the others.

The lingering question is how can a man be smart enough to coach the national championship team, while simultaneously being as dumb as his remarks indicated?
Maybe he's smart enough to know to say things approved of by the people who pay him.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top