U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2019, 09:27 AM

39,778 posts, read 11,117,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Mein Gott, we have many different beers (all made to purity rules, so nasty English hangover!).

Bock and double bock beers, white beers, black beers, cellar beers, Roggenbiers, old beers (do not ask for an old beer in Köln, you will be evicted), etc.
Mein Gott...In Germany, I'd Trunk as the Germans trunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 12:24 PM

6,931 posts, read 3,829,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
In the case of GOT, it went into decline when the series ran out of George Double R material and they had to wing it to the end. It would have been better if Martin, instead of wasting his time writing boring prequels and silly short novels, had buckled down and finished the final books. Martin is now in his early '70's and I'm wondering if he will be able to ever finish the saga. He suffers from the compulsion to include tons of needless detail when he writes, so it isn't as though he works quickly once under way. Harry Turtledove writes five novels in the time it takes Martin to write a thank you note. Of course Turtledove's writing stinks, but it wouldn't be any better no matter how much time he took. He's too much in love with cliches.
I'm one of the very rare few people that loved the last series of GOT
And my favorite episode was the one everyone else seemed to hate - the death of the Night King. I loved that episode. I watched it over and over. The music that went with it was fantastic I thought. Loved the whole sequence from Sansa and Tyrion behind the stone in the crypt up until Arya came out of nowhere and stabbed the NightKing.

Granted a lot of the storylines in the last series didn't make sense and too many storylines left open. But I loved it all the same. It felt more grown up to me than some of the previous series where IMO there was too much unnecessary raping and pillaging. It often felt to me like it was being directed by boys rather than men.

Old 07-05-2019, 01:05 PM

41,624 posts, read 18,722,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I'm one of the very rare few people that loved the last series of GOT
Not so rare. On the TV forum there was a huge war waged between those with criticism of the series for having derailed near the end, and those who seemed to feel that if you liked a series, you should not criticize any aspect of it....not that I am saying that the latter is how you feel.

The most often repeated complaint was that the end had a feeling of being rushed, especially after years of the series taking the time to really develop characters and present plausible scenarios.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:29 PM
Status: "This is the best of all possible plutocracies." (set 9 days ago)

18,620 posts, read 8,372,386 times
Quote:
In the case of GOT, it went into decline when the series ran out of George Double R material and they had to wing it to the end. It would have been better if Martin, instead of wasting his time writing boring prequels and silly short novels, had buckled down and finished the final books. Martin is now in his early '70's and I'm wondering if he will be able to ever finish the saga. He suffers from the compulsion to include tons of needless detail when he writes, so it isn't as though he works quickly once under way. Harry Turtledove writes five novels in the time it takes Martin to write a thank you note. Of course Turtledove's writing stinks, but it wouldn't be any better no matter how much time he took. He's too much in love with cliches.
Yup. Which is why the TV series was so much better.

And I agree about Turtledove. Interesting premise, but eventually it reminded me too much of Anne McCaffrey and the "Flying Pet Sitters of Pern". I mean, stop beating it to death, you ALREADY murdered it.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:44 PM
Status: "This is the best of all possible plutocracies." (set 9 days ago)

18,620 posts, read 8,372,386 times
Quote:
Not so rare. On the TV forum there was a huge war waged between those with criticism of the series for having derailed near the end, and those who seemed to feel that if you liked a series, you should not criticize any aspect of it....not that I am saying that the latter is how you feel.

The most often repeated complaint was that the end had a feeling of being rushed, especially after years of the series taking the time to really develop characters and present plausible scenarios.
That was how I felt. I'm satisfied with how almost all the characters ended up, but there was a lot missing in the "getting there from here" department. All the superb production values don't make up for, for instance, more detail on why Jaime left Brienne. You have to assume that he knew how it would end. And Bran? He went from being an interesting and sympathetic character to being someone who was being toted around like luggage at great cost.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
And Bran? He went from being an interesting and sympathetic character to being someone who was being toted around like luggage at great cost.
The thing about Bran which struck me as unrealistic was how easily the Dothraki, the Unsullied, and everyone else, accepted Bran as king based entirely on Tyrion saying that his was "the best story." Would that have gone down well with the population at large? "Who is our new king?" "Oh, it's that crippled kid who thinks he is a three eyed raven." "Oh, okay." I wasn't sure that we were even supposed to be seeing Bran as still a human at that point.

I also think that the Unsullied and the Dothraki would have torn Jon to bits for murdering Dani rather than seeing him off to exile with the Nightwatch, which no longer existed at that point.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:19 AM

Is there anything more inside the box these days than people saying "You have to think outside the box?"

Since all the great thinkers are now outside the box, the outside becomes the new box.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:37 AM

Some truth in that. It's sorta like my arguments about keeping your feet on the ground and not going too far in speculation that you lose touch with verified reality. I have seem a few people clearly lose sight of the box, never mind thinking back into it.

P.s nothing to do with anything but i watched a very long and detailed talk on Gettysburg. Not the actual battle but the retreat from there that got the army of Virginia back over the Potomac with wounded, prisoners and all the stuff they'd paid for in Confederate scrip, or just taken (which is pretty much the same thing) and with the army still in reasonable shape, in spite of everything Meade tried to do to stop them.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

P.s nothing to do with anything but i watched a very long and detailed talk on Gettysburg. Not the actual battle but the retreat from there that got the army of Virginia back over the Potomac with wounded, prisoners and all the stuff they'd paid for in Confederate scrip, or just taken (which is pretty much the same thing) and with the army still in reasonable shape, in spite of everything Meade tried to do to stop them.
Among the results of the Gettysburg campaign was the enslavement and re-enslavement of hundreds of blacks living free in southern Pennsylvania. There were several rebel partisan bands operating in northern Virginia, the best known being John Mosby's raiders. When Lee's march north moved the war out of the south temporarily, those partisan bands used the opportunity to move north and go on a general kidnapping of blacks spree.

The justification provided was that they were merely recovering their own property, recapturing runaway slaves. Of course they made no effort to determine if any blacks they found had ever been slaves, or had been freed, or had always been free. If you were black and you were found, you were a runaway slave. (much in the manner of "If he's dead and he's Vietnamese, he's Viet Cong" was used a 100 years later) Those that were runaways and could be identified, were returned to their former masters. The others were sold and the money used to help finance the war.

General Lee had condemned this practice as outside the purview of the army, but he also did not life a finger to stop any of it. Just as he was comfortable with the hypocrisy of insisting that his army wasn't stealing because they tendered Confederate bills for what they seized, Lee appeared comfortable with this hypocrisy as well.

President Lincoln, Secretary of War Stanton and General-in-Chief Henry Halleck, all bombarded Meade with messages demanding that Lee's army be wiped out before it could recross the Potomac. Meade disappointed them all, but I believe that he was correct in his decision to not try and assault Lee's defensive works by the river. It was a very well fortified position, and since the majority of frontal assaults were bloody failures in the Civil War, it seems highly probable that any attack would have been repulsed with heavy casualties and nothing to show for it.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:27 PM

Meade knew that they had no supplies. In fact he tried to cut off Lee's army, but their horses and mules were dropping dead. It is surprising that rather than sending messages demanding that Meade destroy Lee's forces, he didn't crack the whip to get supplies and forage down to Gettysburg soonest. The rain didn't make Meade's job any easier and the Confederacy, even after losing so many officers, was easily able to mount defences on...Williamsburg, wasn't it? If the union had driven them out, they'd probably have cut off the wagon trains and released the Union prisoners.

Lee probably knew that if the Confederacy lost, the North wouldn't be paid for what they'd taken. And maybe even if the South won. He knew it was a dirty business but he went along with it because there was nothing else to do. At least make it look like it was 'paying' for what they took.

It's a bit like atheists swearing that Religion will be allowed freely to preach and proselytise in a humanist state, as so it would be. But the intent is to do our own proselytising, too and convince people to let it go. It would be a lie to say that we really Really wanted to see it continue. No more that we would do anything other than a faint 'bout time too' if 'Your stars' finally vanished from the media.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-20-2019 at 02:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism