U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 07:45 PM

14,190 posts, read 9,075,797 times

Advertisements

My wife thinks that Russell Brand is eye-wateringly hilarious. My opinion of him is a bit more restrained, but I find him likable, edgy, quirky, intelligent, and funny (when I am up to following his breakneck pace of free association). I also read the first of his books, My Booky Wook, which is basically an autobiography of his childhood and early career. It's an interesting read although I think he could have used a better editor to make it more concise. He had what can only be describe as an odd childhood, and he has clearly overcome a gigantic drug addiction problem. He's fearless about unflinchingly describing his self-absorbed and sometimes cruel behavior, and I respect him for that, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 07:58 AM

40,821 posts, read 18,549,595 times
Today is Sunday, The Lord's Day as the Christians have it, and it struck me that atheists have no equivalent. If the pious are entitled to one day in seven, the non believers should at least get one day a month.

But what to call it? Atheist's Day? Non Believer's Day? Rationality Day? Remember to keep reasonable Empirical Evidence Day?

If not once a month, then surely the nation could tolerate once a year. President Obama declares an official Atheists Day. And why not? The list of things which get days is preposterous already...National Eat Cabbage Day and so forth. If we do get a day, should it be pegged to some atheist anniversary or event? if so, what? Carl Sagan's birthday?

Old 06-30-2013, 08:23 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,411,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Today is Sunday, The Lord's Day as the Christians have it, and it struck me that atheists have no equivalent. If the pious are entitled to one day in seven, the non believers should at least get one day a month.

But what to call it? Atheist's Day? Non Believer's Day? Rationality Day? Remember to keep reasonable Empirical Evidence Day?

If not once a month, then surely the nation could tolerate once a year. President Obama declares an official Atheists Day. And why not? The list of things which get days is preposterous already...National Eat Cabbage Day and so forth. If we do get a day, should it be pegged to some atheist anniversary or event? if so, what? Carl Sagan's birthday?
How about Saturday? More people are athiests on Saturday than on Sunday, I reckon.

YES! Carl Sagan's birthday!!! How about the Day of Reason??

By the way, if a President were to do as you suggest, that person (I wish I could say he/she) would face the certain end of their political future, as is practiced in this country presently.

Great idea, though!

Old 06-30-2013, 08:28 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,742,240 times
Can we make this day the same one as the I don't believe in unicorns day? I have a lot of stuff to do and can't have too many days taken up.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:29 AM

39,020 posts, read 10,812,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

Every day is atheists' day.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:55 AM

6,857 posts, read 3,781,164 times
I think this is a great idea. There should be a 'World Atheists Day' you know like World Book Day, that sort of thing - actually I'd rather have 'World Humanists Day' - it has a nicer ring to it - to promote awareness that atheists are not spawn of the devil but normal, rational human beings.

Wait, stop press, I just looked it up - apparently there IS a World Humanist Day. It's June 21st. Who knew?

Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I admire young people with brand new ideas....

Sanspeur, have you seen this:

The Scale of the Universe 2

My son came home from school one day and had to show me this 'Scale of the Universe' website invented by 9th grader twin boys (follow the link and move the slider at the bottom of the page).
Seriously one of the most incredible things I've ever seen.

They've also done other stuff. (I'm guessing they don't get out much but hey, which genius does?)
http://htwins.net/

Old 06-30-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
My wife thinks that Russell Brand is eye-wateringly hilarious. My opinion of him is a bit more restrained, but I find him likable, edgy, quirky, intelligent, and funny (when I am up to following his breakneck pace of free association). I also read the first of his books, My Booky Wook, which is basically an autobiography of his childhood and early career. It's an interesting read although I think he could have used a better editor to make it more concise. He had what can only be describe as an odd childhood, and he has clearly overcome a gigantic drug addiction problem. He's fearless about unflinchingly describing his self-absorbed and sometimes cruel behavior, and I respect him for that, too.
My husband thinks he's funny too (well maybe 'mildly amusing' would be more accurate). He's one of those likeable rogues I think. I also read his autobiography, but then I'm really into autobiographies generally (nosey I guess). I read someone describe him as 'well educated' which actually I'm not sure is the case, given his childhood. Some people are quick witted regardless of their education.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:48 AM

39,020 posts, read 10,812,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I think this is a great idea. There should be a 'World Atheists Day' you know like World Book Day, that sort of thing - actually I'd rather have 'World Humanists Day' - it has a nicer ring to it - to promote awareness that atheists are not spawn of the devil but normal, rational human beings.

Wait, stop press, I just looked it up - apparently there IS a World Humanist Day. It's June 21st. Who knew?
Nope. It doesn't seem important or relevant. It is not a religion, but a way of Life. If we need a day...12th Feb. Really has to be.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:54 AM

40,821 posts, read 18,549,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

Indeed. Maybe it is time to hire a publicist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism