U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-10-2016, 10:03 PM
Status: "Smacking fundies." (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
25,822 posts, read 13,421,966 times
Reputation: 11675

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Who is the wickedest wit in the east?
I have no idea.

Btw, Ridley Scott is a pompous douche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2016, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Somewhere out there.
6,862 posts, read 3,787,690 times
Reputation: 4594
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
My favourite atheist (outside of CD, of course) possesses the wickedest wit in the west - Ricky Gervais. He's hosting the Golden Globes tonight which makes it must-watching for me.

Anybody else tuning in?
OUCH! I did end up tuning in, mainly to watch Gervais but I think he went too far this time. That Caitlyn Jenner 'joke' about driving? No that's in really bad taste even for him, and having a jab at someone's alcoholism (Mel Gibson)? Nope, that's below the belt too. He always says he won't have a go at things people can't help, but he did this time. I admit I still laughed though a lot of it but those bits were cringeworthy. He's burned his bridges this time I think.
Amy Schumer should host next year for sure. Her movie 'Trainwreck' is hilarious. She's very funny I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 10:23 AM
Status: "Smacking fundies." (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
25,822 posts, read 13,421,966 times
Reputation: 11675
I thought it was Ricky just being Ricky. An awful lot of stuff was bleeped, which I found annoying.

And Amy Shumer is fantastic. I love her. But she's probably too edgy for prime time on a national network. She'd be a lot scarier to advertisers and network people than Ricky, Tina or the other Amy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Somewhere out there.
6,862 posts, read 3,787,690 times
Reputation: 4594
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I thought it was Ricky just being Ricky. An awful lot of stuff was bleeped, which I found annoying.

And Amy Shumer is fantastic. I love her. But she's probably too edgy for prime time on a national network. She'd be a lot scarier to advertisers and network people than Ricky, Tina or the other Amy.

Ha ha, yes they'd have to do a lo-o-o-t more bleeping with Amy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2016, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there.
6,862 posts, read 3,787,690 times
Reputation: 4594
Default It's Pancake Day

It's Pancake Day! (otherwise known to some as Shrove Tuesday).

Traditionally in Britain, it's sugar and freshly squeezed lemon on top or nothing.

Try it!


Millions remember the martyrdom of Saint Pancake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2016, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,197 posts, read 9,085,887 times
Reputation: 6081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
It's Pancake Day! (otherwise known to some as Shrove Tuesday).

Traditionally in Britain, it's sugar and freshly squeezed lemon on top or nothing.

Try it!


Millions remember the martyrdom of Saint Pancake
Wow. I had never heard of this.

You can't make this stuff up ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2016, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there.
6,862 posts, read 3,787,690 times
Reputation: 4594
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Wow. I had never heard of this.

You can't make this stuff up ...

You can't. I like to have a personal one minute silence every year, as I whip up the eggs and squeeze the lemons in honour of Saint Pancake.








Shrove_Tuesday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2016, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
40,976 posts, read 18,573,926 times
Reputation: 18675
It sometimes pays to complain, and it pays especially well to complain to the Subway Sandwich people.

In California, the law is that cold food, such as groceries you buy in a store to take home, are not taxed. Hot food, under the theory that it is intended for immediate consumption, is taxed. I went to a Subway shop last week and ordered a six dollar footlong sandwich. The woman at the counter asked me if I wanted it heated or the bread toasted, I declined on both counts. When it came time to pay, she said it was $6.50, the fifty cents being the tax. I pointed out that there is no tax on cold food and that I didn't have anything heated, so it should just be six bucks. She replied that the computer cash register was only set up to charge $6.50 for that sandwich and that there was nothing that she could do about it.

I replied that fortunately there was something I could do about it. I plunked down six dollars, grabbed the sandwich and left. I wasn't about to pay, even a paltry fifty cents, on the basis of their machines being calibrated incorrectly.

I wasn't out any money at all, but it ticked me off, that "Nothing I can do about it" business. So I wrote a letter to the Subway corporate offices, explained what had happened, and pointed out that their computers were set up to serially cheat customers on this, and that it seemed to me that there was indeed something that Subway could do about it.

Today I got a response. It was a hand written note of apology from that particular store's owner stating that I was right, there was no tax on cold food in California, and that they were taking steps to correct the problem. Enclosed were two five dollar bills, which really surprised me, and five coupons good for free six dollar footlong sandwiches. That was 40 bucks worth of compensation...and I wasn't out any money in the first place.

I have twice before written letters of complaint, once to the Fresh Express lettuce people when I got a bag of already rotting lettuce, and once to the Swisher Sweet cigar people when I got a box of cigars with little pinholes in them. Both times I got back apology letters and coupons good for a couple of free bags/boxes.

But 40 bucks worth of compensation for not having actually lost anything in the first place?

This might inspire others to write to Subway...claim that you found a dime or a chunk of hair or something in your sandwich and you might get free meals for a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2016, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there.
6,862 posts, read 3,787,690 times
Reputation: 4594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It sometimes pays to complain, and it pays especially well to complain to the Subway Sandwich people.

In California, the law is that cold food, such as groceries you buy in a store to take home, are not taxed. Hot food, under the theory that it is intended for immediate consumption, is taxed. I went to a Subway shop last week and ordered a six dollar footlong sandwich. The woman at the counter asked me if I wanted it heated or the bread toasted, I declined on both counts. When it came time to pay, she said it was $6.50, the fifty cents being the tax. I pointed out that there is no tax on cold food and that I didn't have anything heated, so it should just be six bucks. She replied that the computer cash register was only set up to charge $6.50 for that sandwich and that there was nothing that she could do about it.

I replied that fortunately there was something I could do about it. I plunked down six dollars, grabbed the sandwich and left. I wasn't about to pay, even a paltry fifty cents, on the basis of their machines being calibrated incorrectly.

I wasn't out any money at all, but it ticked me off, that "Nothing I can do about it" business. So I wrote a letter to the Subway corporate offices, explained what had happened, and pointed out that their computers were set up to serially cheat customers on this, and that it seemed to me that there was indeed something that Subway could do about it.

Today I got a response. It was a hand written note of apology from that particular store's owner stating that I was right, there was no tax on cold food in California, and that they were taking steps to correct the problem. Enclosed were two five dollar bills, which really surprised me, and five coupons good for free six dollar footlong sandwiches. That was 40 bucks worth of compensation...and I wasn't out any money in the first place.

I have twice before written letters of complaint, once to the Fresh Express lettuce people when I got a bag of already rotting lettuce, and once to the Swisher Sweet cigar people when I got a box of cigars with little pinholes in them. Both times I got back apology letters and coupons good for a couple of free bags/boxes.

But 40 bucks worth of compensation for not having actually lost anything in the first place?

This might inspire others to write to Subway...claim that you found a dime or a chunk of hair or something in your sandwich and you might get free meals for a year.

Good for you for complaining. Lots of extra fifty cents is really going to add up making them a considerable extra profit over a period of time.

I'll admit I'd never eat a Subway sandwich though. I'm fussy about bread. In America it seems you can mostly only buy bread that you can hammer in nails with the next day or at the other extreme, bread that seems to take months to go off, Subway bread definitely falling in the latter category. However I'm with you on principle. It pays to complain if only to keep these big food chains on their toes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2016, 04:00 PM
 
888 posts, read 353,355 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You can't. I like to have a personal one minute silence every year, as I whip up the eggs and squeeze the lemons in honour of Saint Pancake.



Shrove_Tuesday
I grew up eating pancakes every Shrove Tuesday.

It's interesting to note that the pancake tradition may have pagan roots, yet another custom's reasons shifting to preserve the custom itself. Humans are creatures of habit, especially when it comes to enjoyable food rituals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top