U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 12:01 PM

5,192 posts, read 4,401,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
That is absolutely insane. You have every right to gripe and whine... Jeeez. Gripe away. You poor thing, you have my sympathy. I want to wish you get better soon but by the sounds of it I should be wishing you sicker. What an insane system. This is what you get for $700 a month? Mindboggling.
Well, I don't intend this as more whining (whinging for our brothers and sisters in the UK ) but just to further illustrate some difficulties navigating American-style health care, a few years back I worked for a decent-sized city in Virginia. There was really only one place to go for health care aside from some standalone urgent care clinics and so on. All the hospitals and major doctor's offices were under the umbrella of a company called Carillion.

Anyway, I signed up for full family health care from whatever insurance provider was available through my job (can't remember the insurance co.)

Again, it cost me about $275 from each paycheck (getting paid biweekly) for this coverage. And once you enrolled, you could not disenroll or make any coverage changes until "open enrollment" period which was one week in October--just one week per year. The only other way changes could be made was if you went through what they called a "qualifying event" which included things like, my spouse took a job and was able to get her own health care coverage through her employer, so I could then drop her from my plan, of if we had another child, they could be added, etc. Otherwise, no changes.

However, we were rarely ever able to use our coverage because most everything we were seen for, the doctors considered "pre-existing conditions." In other words, I am diabetic, and was diagnosed prior to my having this coverage through the job. My wife has had heart issues since before I took that job. One of my daughters had chronic urinary tract infections back then.

SO, if I went to see a doctor and there was any way they could tie the nature of my visit to anything possibly stemming from diabetes (or heart-related things for my wife, bladder/kidney-related things for my daughter, and so on) the doctor's office would mark it as "pre-existing condition" and my insurance would not cover any of these things.

So, what happened was I paid nearly $600 for health care coverage I could not back out of, and which we could not use. So while paying that money straight out of my paychecks, we were acquiring bills for full cost for any doctor's visit, we got no break on prescription meds, nothing. Full price for every visit and every Rx, on top of throwing away $550 per month on health care coverage. In any other realm of life, we'd call this a racket or a scam.

Almost 10 years later I am still (slowly, in small increments) paying off those medical bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 12:10 PM

39,378 posts, read 10,970,775 times
Whining is OK, Whingeing is what we do in the UK if you are an Auzzie talking about us. ("Whingeing Poms") In fact we describe ourselves as "Always moaning".

Old 07-26-2016, 12:28 PM

5,192 posts, read 4,401,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Whining is OK, Whingeing is what we do in the UK if you are an Auzzie talking about us. ("Whingeing Poms") In fact we describe ourselves as "Always moaning".
Quit yer moangeing.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Quit yer moangeing.

I was in fact trying to find something to illustrate the British habit of quietly muttering aggrievedly in corners. But I could only find a news report that looked on the Bright Side another choob that became boring before we even got to Brits, and a singer I hurriedly cut after the fourth note (the same as the other three) .."I don't know. We pay for this service and we don't get anything back worthwhile. You want a you tube on moaning Brits and can you find one? Don't make me larf. If you were looking for something else that's all you'd find, it just isn't good enough, nobody puts in enough effort ...they all leave it to someone else, they all sit around and take it easy and expect to be paid for doing nothing, that's the problem with this country. You complain to them and they tell you to go somewhere else. It's because of all this dole queue and minimum wage lark. They don't need to worry whether they got a job or not. Let 'em beg for pennies on the street with the arse outa their trousers like when I was a kid..they'd soon wake their ideas up. Wants a bloody good shake up, this country does. Hitler had the right idea...made the trains run in time..or was it Stalin...?"

Keep it up for an hour or so and it turns into a UK sitcom.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:15 AM

It's a bit damn' slow on R/S Only Jeff and Vizza are up for it, while Eusebius is absent working out why Ken Hamm seems to have admitted the existence of Transitional forms- though he regards them as "Baryma". If it gets much quieter, I may have to pop into Christianity to get a good squabble.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:23 AM

4,533 posts, read 3,938,298 times
Better you than me. I find it all ... appalling, really

Old 07-28-2016, 02:48 PM

41,313 posts, read 18,647,380 times
I'm reading Jean Edward Smith's "Bush", a biography of George W. A lot of it is stuff I already knew, but I came across something fantastic which I had not previously heard.

When President Bush was trying to get Germany and France to join in his invasion of Iraq, they of course flatly rejected this idea. Bush thought that he could make a personal appeal to France's President Chirac. He phoned him to implore him to take action, but Chirac expressed doubts that it was too late for diplomacy, and graver doubts that the WMD actually existed. So Bush altered his tactics.

"Jacques" he said, "you and I share a common faith. You're Roman Catholic and I'm Methodist, but we are both Christians committed to the teachings of the Bible. We share one common Lord. Gog and Magog ar at work in the Middle East. Biblical prophecies are being fulfilled. This confrontation is willed by God who wants to use this conflict to erase His people's enemies before a new age begins."

Chirac had no idea what Bush was talking about and said he would get back to Bush. He then had his staff find out who Gog and Magog were. They are of course the names applied to the evil forces of Satan in Revelations.

Chirac was horrified to learn that Bush was being so simple minded and basing his decision for war not on the evidence, but on his readings from the Bible.

I have always known about Bush's fundamentalist faith, but I had not realized it extended to this sort of stupidity.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:33 PM

It isn't generally understood. Bush was regarded as a bit of a joke. But he was no joke. For 2 terms a religious nutcase had the driving wheel.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:44 PM

14,198 posts, read 9,117,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Chirac had no idea what Bush was talking about and said he would get back to Bush. He then had his staff find out who Gog and Magog were. They are of course the names applied to the evil forces of Satan in Revelations.
In my day Gog was supposed to be Russia, but today I see that it is Russia allied with Islamic countries. Seems to be a template for whatever bogeyman is currently in fashion.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:19 PM

41,313 posts, read 18,647,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
In my day Gog was supposed to be Russia, but today I see that it is Russia allied with Islamic countries. Seems to be a template for whatever bogeyman is currently in fashion.
Then what was Magog? China?

You indicate that Gog has enjoyed flexibility in identity, so I suppose at various times Gog and his Ma were represented by:
civil rights marchers
hippies
war protesters
Jane Fonda
feminists
gays
environmentalists
President whatshizname, y'know, that Islamic commie from Kenya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism