U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2016, 07:55 AM

14,194 posts, read 9,080,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I chose my username after the asteroid Cruithne which is in orbital resonance with the earth. Also Cruithin is another form of the word along with Cruthen and Cruthini which are Gaelic early versions of 'Britain'. I just thought it was kinda cool to have another Britain orbiting the sun.
I only noticed the other day the name that had been given that asteroid. I'm not sure what they're going to do when they run out of Greek, Roman, and miscellaneous pagan deities and heroes ... there are getting to be so many place-names discovered just in our solar system. Pluto and Ceres alone seem to be exhausting the pantheons all on their own. Ceres place-names are all agricultural deities, Plutonian system features are more Greek underworld types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 08:30 AM

39,043 posts, read 10,831,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
It is nice to encounter someone who knows enough about Wagner to remember who the Norns were
(Pic. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I only noticed the other day the name that had been given that asteroid. I'm not sure what they're going to do when they run out of Greek, Roman, and miscellaneous pagan deities and heroes ... there are getting to be so many place-names discovered just in our solar system. Pluto and Ceres alone seem to be exhausting the pantheons all on their own. Ceres place-names are all agricultural deities, Plutonian system features are more Greek underworld types.
I can't believe they've run out of religions. What about the Egyptian, Aztec and Mayan gods? What about the Chinese ones? Theyv'e made a contribution to science and deserve a few celestial bodies named after their gods. I'm hoping I'll survive long enough to see a poxy minor moon of whatever the 9th planet is called, when they discover it, named "Yahweh"
Attached Thumbnails
Chat about anything thread.-norse-mythology-glamour-calendar.jpg  

Old 08-10-2016, 11:14 AM

40,911 posts, read 18,562,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I'm not sure what they're going to do when they run out of Greek, Roman, and miscellaneous pagan deities and heroes ....
The asteroid....Bubba

Old 08-10-2016, 01:04 PM
Status: "I'm travelling at the speed of light." (set 9 days ago)

1,233 posts, read 607,257 times
Transponder, I will use this picture if I may - it is beautiful.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Transponder, I will use this picture if I may - it is beautiful.
Of course. It was on the Net so I suppose anyone can use it.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:03 PM
Status: "I'm travelling at the speed of light." (set 9 days ago)

1,233 posts, read 607,257 times
I have come across another remarkable quote today - by Carl Sagan.

Quote:
Does trying to understand the universe at all betray a lack of humility? I believe it is true that humility is the only just response in a confrontation with the universe, but not a humility that prevents us from seeking the nature of the universe we are admiring. If we seek that nature, then love can be informed by truth instead of being based on ignorance or self-deception. If a Creator God exists, would He or She or It or whatever the appropriate pronoun is, prefer a kind of sodden blockhead who worships while understanding nothing? Or would He prefer His votaries to admire the real universe in all its intricacy? I would suggest that science is, at least in part, informed worship.
I particularly like the bolded part. The natural world is indeed awe-inspiring.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:38 AM

This is a real 'chat about anything' post but I am now and again fretting about something.

Can anyone explain what was the point in the 2010 remake of 'True Grit"? I watched it and if it had been the original it would have been fine. It was perhaps grittier and more serious than the original but maybe that was where it was lacking. The fun had gone out of the original and let's face it, it was a fun story and not something to make us all serious and aware.

I tried to find out what others thought, but I got the impression that it was given a fair rating by critics without unfavourable comparison, and it seemed to do well at the box office. But it was like watching a remake of "The African Queen" No matter how well done and seriously approached, it is never going to match the original.

Thots?

Ps. Wasn't true Grit 2 a remake of "The African Queen?"

P.P s. I had to to turn off the Lloyd Bridges remake. To hear him deliver: "You're enjoying it too much!" and "She reminds me of me." would have ruined something precious for me.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:35 AM

14,194 posts, read 9,080,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
This is a real 'chat about anything' post but I am now and again fretting about something.

Can anyone explain what was the point in the 2010 remake of 'True Grit"? I watched it and if it had been the original it would have been fine. It was perhaps grittier and more serious than the original but maybe that was where it was lacking. The fun had gone out of the original and let's face it, it was a fun story and not something to make us all serious and aware.

I tried to find out what others thought, but I got the impression that it was given a fair rating by critics without unfavourable comparison, and it seemed to do well at the box office. But it was like watching a remake of "The African Queen" No matter how well done and seriously approached, it is never going to match the original.

Thots?

Ps. Wasn't true Grit 2 a remake of "The African Queen?"

P.P s. I had to to turn off the Lloyd Bridges remake. To hear him deliver: "You're enjoying it too much!" and "She reminds me of me." would have ruined something precious for me.
I don't remember the original very well, I saw it a couple of times in my youth. Liked it. Liked the new one quite well also.

By the way it was Jeff Bridges, not his father Lloyd. I think he's a terrific actor and I like his portrayal of Rooster Cogburn. It is different ... not wrong. In my view. And courageous to carve out his own interpretation in the shadow of John Wayne.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:01 AM

6,862 posts, read 3,784,931 times
Quote:
I have come across another remarkable quote today - by Carl Sagan.

I particularly like the bolded part. The natural world is indeed awe-inspiring.
Got to love a bit of Sagan. He had such a poetic way with words.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:56 AM

After posting a picture of Farrage's eminently hittable face in response to te posting a a toadlike smug smirk of the Chump's face, I thought I'd look to see the top 10 worst politicians. I have done this a couple of times and am painfully aware of how the lists can vary according to the political views of those compiling the lists. But I was interested to see an article (and I am not holding it up as Authoritative) but it said that Trump was the 2nd most hated after Mike Huckabee.

Ok, I am going to fall under Godwin's law and will accept that I "Lost" whatever debate thereby before it even started, but that sounded right to me. Trump isn't as bad as Huckabee. Not really. He is like Goering compared to Goebbels. The Hitler and Himmler? If the Us votes as it should we will never find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism