Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2016, 04:05 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times

Advertisements

Third world strongman? Odd how he seems to be chummy with Putin, or maybe that's just how hostile media presents him. I was thinking about Mordant's comment above and about continued support even with some Republicans taking my advice and dropping him so as to hopefully eject the loonies and get back a credible and electable GOP.

You know what it is about Trump that I even find myself responding to? He's a stand -up comic. He's like a Bill Burr who stands up there and says what we'd all like to say, but we can't because of PC. He's refreshing; he's catharsis, he's funny, he's entertaining. What he isn't is fit for the presidency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 07:04 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,113,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Odd how he seems to be chummy with Putin, or maybe that's just how hostile media presents him.
Remember how well President Nixon got along with dictators? It was evident that he envied them their absolutism and ability to crush dissent.

The Trump candidacy is a test for America....how well is it able to distinguish between reality television and....reality. It doesn't look like it will fall for it this time, but the trail has now been blazed and sharper practitioners than Trump may be in our future.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:26 AM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Third world strongman? Odd how he seems to be chummy with Putin, or maybe that's just how hostile media presents him. I was thinking about Mordant's comment above and about continued support even with some Republicans taking my advice and dropping him so as to hopefully eject the loonies and get back a credible and electable GOP.

You know what it is about Trump that I even find myself responding to? He's a stand -up comic. He's like a Bill Burr who stands up there and says what we'd all like to say, but we can't because of PC. He's refreshing; he's catharsis, he's funny, he's entertaining. What he isn't is fit for the presidency.
On an intuitive level Trump knows what he's doing and is "crazy like a fox". If you listen to his rhetoric, it's all about how scary things are, about how we "don't know what the hell is going on", "make America great again" (implying it's anything but), "things are very bad", Clinton is "the devil" with a "heart full of hate" who "should be in jail". It's all about scare mongering and demonizing and fighting off existential threats of his base. It is not rational because the fears are not rational. At some level he understands this, and sometimes Clinton's geeky recitation of policy points just doesn't compete with that. Certainly, if the reveal that Trump is a sexist pig and yuks it up over his sexual assaults does not give any of his base pause, clearly nothing will, and I think he was a hero to them in the debate last night.

Bill Burr is way funnier than Trump, even when he's being a cad. You get the sense that if he became president he actually would reign himself in and be a decent leader. Trump? Not so much.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:31 AM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The Trump candidacy is a test for America....how well is it able to distinguish between reality television and....reality.
I liked a Vox editorial I read Saturday best. It harkened back to the turning point for Joseph McCarthy when a fellow legislator stood up to him saying "Have you no decency, sir?" The point of the essay was that this isn't a question of whether Trump has any decency (we know the answer to that one already), but whether, in aggregate, the ELECTORATE has any decency. Clearly the Republican base does not, it is just a question that it's not quite strong enough even with a weak opponent, to work its will. This weekend, plenty of Republicans were reminding each other publicly that, yes, Trump is a bit of a cad, but he will appoint the desired Supreme Court justices, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It doesn't look like it will fall for it this time, but the trail has now been blazed and sharper practitioners than Trump may be in our future.
That is the oft-overlooked fact here. Although what I call the Rabid Right is in its death throes in many ways, there ARE some young people in the mix there, and it's not going to just turn tail and run after Trump's defeat. They will keep trying, and their next champion may be more subtle and crafty and less overtly oafish.

Honestly, if the GOP were to push Trump out and move Pence to the top of the ticket, that might even be the "sharper practitioner" you speak of. Hillary missed a few opportunities in this debate, and some think that was strategic. She would much rather run against Trump at this point. She doesn't want him to drop out.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:05 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Bill Burr runs an advice e-column, I think, and I heard him reason things out. Yeh - he wouldn't be bad as president. Trump would be bad, not because he's dumb. He actually is, because at times, if he wasn't dumb he could give less dumb responses, but because a president Trump would allow an administration of people who aren't dumb, but believe dumb stuff like we can do what we want with the world as God is looking after it, and if it takes nukes on Syria to sort the problem, that's what they'll do and if it starts total war, that's Bible prophecy anyway. That, not Trump himself, is the danger.

Using the Bible as a basis for all education and probably science, too, just as all education and science had to be adapted to fit Marxism and before that Aryanism, is the lesser danger, but the more likely, if Trump gets in. (Damn I probably just got him a million votes!) because we already saw that the law can be bunked if enough Fundamentalists are shoehorned into politics and law and there is no-one to do anything other than toe the party line. They will simply pass laws and amend the precedents and constitution to make America the Christian nation they want and you won't need the red cross hoisted over the union flag ever again.

I was going to write a lot more about political strongmen, but I deleted it. You may not believe it but I delete a third of my posts.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:35 AM

1,333 posts, read 882,848 times
Quote:
but because a president Trump would allow an administration of people who aren't dumb, but believe dumb stuff like we can do what we want with the world as God is looking after it, and if it takes nukes on Syria to sort the problem, that's what they'll do and if it starts total war, that's Bible prophecy anyway. That, not Trump himself, is the danger.
I'm sort of interested in this. Don't you think God is a superfluous explanation? If not, why?
I personally am worried of the same situation, but without the God parts:

"but believe dumb stuff like we can do what we want with the world, and if it takes nukes on Syria to sort the problem, that's what they'll do. That, not Trump himself, is the danger."

If they believe these things because of faith in God, then I am in full agreement with you. I just haven't yet seen anything that makes me think that.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:47 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,069,492 times
The only god trump knows is the one he sees in the mirror. I think a lot of gop insiders thought they could hitch to trump and move him like a puppet. They have destroyed themselves in the process.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:19 AM

Besides Trump, one thing that really gets on my nerves goes like this:

Hey, I'm Skyl3r.

I'm Jennifer (random name)

So, what are you into?

Uhm... Not really anything...

I don't mean the cases where someone just doesn't wanna share details with you; I mean the people who legitimately aren't into anything. Hooooowww? How can you not be into anything? What do you do all day?

The people I get along with are the ones who get excited about something. They got a new motorcycle they wanna go home and work on and learn about. They want to write a new program with this new knowledge they just got.
There's literally not enough time in the day to be able to do everything I want to do. Then there's people sitting on their asses doing nothing, 14 hours at a time. I just can't fathom this.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:40 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,069,492 times
Maybe "what are you into" is too general and sounds too much like a pick up line. How about asking something specific that says you were paying attention to that person rather than something you could say to anyone?

Old 10-10-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Maybe "what are you into" is too general and sounds too much like a pick up line. How about asking something specific that says you were paying attention to that person rather than something you could say to anyone?
"Jennifer" was a random name. I mean for girls and guys it's the same.

"What do you like doing?"
Oh, I'm not really into anything...

It's not that I'm failing to listen to them; it's that they've never expressed an interest in anything and I want to know what gets them excited, what do they wait all day to go home and do, what keeps them up at night waiting for the sun to come out again and there ISN'T anything.

They don't play piano, they don't know how to program, they don't like cars, they don't like pets, they don't have a hobby.

You can't twist this around to make me the bad guy

Last edited by Skyl3r; 10-10-2016 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism