Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2017, 03:24 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You should watch this 20 20 program from last night if you want to see what your ideas actually create.

Diane Sawyer report - "My Reality: A Hidden America" - ABC News

By the numbers (more at the url)
Economic Realities in America: By The Numbers - ABC News
lmao, diane sawyer? yeah. liberal spewing liberal nonsense. why would I believe what it "will create". I am using what the left did create. I am living in the middle of went did go wrong, why would I make up stuff about what might go wrong?

be that as it may. The claim was "work hard, earn your keep, you are responsible, and be honest.

You pointed to a 20/20 that shows what happens if we don't do those things. What happens when we are not honest and do not help each other.

and ... ?

you proved why we need those axioms. And what are your base axiom? you never addressed my actual claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 03:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lmao, diane sawyer? yeah. liberal spewing liberal nonsense. why would I believe what it "will create". I am using what the left did create. I am living in the middle of went did go wrong, why would I make up stuff about what might go wrong?

be that as it may. The claim was "work hard, earn your keep, you are responsible, and be honest.

You pointed to a 20/20 that shows what happens if we don't do those things. What happens when we are not honest and do not help each other.

and ... ?

you proved why we need those axioms. And what are your base axiom? you never addressed my actual claim.
She interviewed working people. Watch the website videos. She is not spewing anything. She talked to real working people who cannot make ends meet. Also the numbers are not from her or from the tv station.

20/20 | Investigative Journalism & News Magazine - ABC News

Pennsylvania firefighter has three jobs, works 104 hours per week.
Why Thousands of Low-Income Americans 'Donate' Their Blood Plasma.
Bus Drivers Ferrying Silicon Valley Tech Elite Struggle to Afford Rent.
When Working 2 Fast Food Jobs, 16 Hours a Day Still Isn't Enough.

Do you really think these folks are not working hard enough? They still can't make it.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:06 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
Quote:
She interviewed working people. Watch the website videos. She is not spewing anything. She talked to real working people who cannot make ends meet. Also the numbers are not from her or from the tv station.

20/20 | Investigative Journalism & News Magazine - ABC News

Pennsylvania firefighter has three jobs, works 104 hours per week.
Why Thousands of Low-Income Americans 'Donate' Their Blood Plasma.
Bus Drivers Ferrying Silicon Valley Tech Elite Struggle to Afford Rent.
When Working 2 Fast Food Jobs, 16 Hours a Day Still Isn't Enough.

Do you really think these folks are not working hard enough? They still can't make it.

I got that. that's what we voted against. We are hoping to reverse obama's choices to help that guy. Actually, we are hoping to reverse repub-demi wall of stupid. Its just that they didn't give us much of a choice. we had to pick sledge trump and we are neither happy not proud of it. I am not sure what they don't understand.

I feel the best way is to start with, work hard, earn your keep, and be honest. help out who ever when ever you can.

look at chicago.

50% unemployment, why are minorities not opening shops in their neighborhoods? or manufacturing plants? lets get them incentives but first answer the question why are they not opening shops up in their area?.

Look at male role models. whose fault is that? mine? I pay 20% taxes, how much more do you want? They are not doing their jobs. I say help the fire fighter who's working. yes, people will suffer, lets not make it the firefighter.

schools. Where I live, private schools have far less resources, on average, than public schools. Why do those students do better? Why do urban area school students not come fed, with paper, and a pencil? The school has all the stuff it needs.

they are at the root of the problem, not the police. police are in a combat zone, why is that? well, the police do have to do a better job, but they are not the problem. Its not my fault when all I do is help and get called a racist while helping.

I think liberal are anti-religion because they are anti-personal responsibility.

Helping and enabling are different.
Offering assistance and supporting a poor choice life style are different.

I help and offer assistance where we can. I am against enabling and supporting a poor choice life style. I am against taking from others to support something I am against.

I voted against people taking more than we give now. Trump was not what we voted 'for". is a big dummy.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:15 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
I got that. that's what we voted against. We are hoping to reverse obama's choices to help that guy. Actually, we are hoping to reverse repub-demi wall of stupid. Its just that they didn't give us much of a choice. we had to pick sledge trump and we are neither happy not proud of it. I am not sure what they don't understand.

Trump is NOT going to change anything, though. He will continue to enrich himself at the expense of everyone else.

Note his latest conflict of interest. He is not divesting himself of his business interests and want the taxpayers of North Carolina to clean up the pollution his son's company created.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/21/b...rump.html?_r=0

I feel the best way is to start with, work hard, earn your keep, and be honest. help out who ever when ever you can.

look at chicago.

50% unemployment, why are minorities not opening shops in their neighborhoods? or manufacturing plants? lets get them incentives but first answer the question why are they not opening shops up in their area?.

Look at male role models. whose fault is that? mine? I pay 20% taxes, how much more do you want? They are not doing their jobs. I say help the fire fighter who's working. yes, people will suffer, lets not make it the firefighter.

schools. Where I live, private schools have far less resources, on average, than public schools. Why do those students do better? Why do urban area school students not come fed, with paper, and a pencil? The school has all the stuff it needs.

they are at the root of the problem, not the police. police are in a combat zone, why is that? well, the police do have to do a better job, but they are not the problem. Its not my fault when all I do is help and get called a racist while helping.

I think liberal are anti-religion because they are anti-personal responsibility.

I help and offer assistance where we can. I am against enabling and supporting a poor choice life style. I am against taking from others to support something I am against.

I voted against people taking more than we give now. Trump was not what we voted 'for". is a big dummy.
I lived in Evanston (north suburb of Chicago) for over 45 years. You have so much wrong that it is hard to explain.

In the Chicago black neighborhoods, the black middle class has fled and no one is left with the capital to open a business. Black flight from the area is just as real as white flight once was. Young black people in Chicago have little hope that anything will get better. Why do the kids not come to school fed? Because they have no food at home - often they live with adults who are on drugs.

As for private schools, in some cases they are better in other cases not so much. Our suburban public schools were better than many private ones. My own son got a great education at Evanston High School. He only realized that when he went to college and was tutoring kids who were valedictorians of various other schools both private and public.

Chicago public schools do NOT have what they need in general. I taught in a public high school in Chicago. By the end of the year, we had to bring our own toilet paper because the school had no more. We were limited in terms of the copies we were allowed to make so final exams were often delayed. My friend who taught in a black inner city elementary school found that her students had no books at home except for a Bible or a cookbook. We would go out to the garage sales, buy books on her 1st graders levels and then give them to the kids to take home. They could not go to the public library because it was too dangerous to walk in their neighborhood (shots fired).

The police are part of the problem because they don't know how to de-escalate situations and because they often shoot first even when things are not dire. This happened in Evanston in 2015. It is not the finest moment for the Evanston Police. It was also not a fine moment for the racist woman who ASSumed that this young man was stealing his own car (because after all a black male could not have a car like this).

Northwestern grad student sues Evanston police; dashcam arrest video released | abc7chicago.com

Note that Neil DeGrasse Tyson was stopped when he was younger for driving while black too.

It's not a poor life style choice to be black or to live in a poor black neighborhood if you can't get out for lack of money and support.

People live in the ghetto for a number of reasons: because they cannot afford living elsewhere, being caught in a cyclical issue of poverty. Not having affordable access to education and skills that leads to white collar jobs or jobs that provide some level of long-term security not having positive social capital that inculcates a drive for education little marketable skills lesser probability of having a permanent job lesser probability of having a job that pays well and provides some kind of economic security saving money to stay in neighborhoods that have low rent perpetuating the same experience for the next generation. Also, some of them are probably afraid to move to a white neighborhood given the fact that they think that white people dislike them. People are tribal and do want to be around their own people.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:10 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
<snip>
People are tribal and do want to be around their own people.
I have no quarrel with your analysis of the issues plaguing poor people of ANY race. But this tribalism is the root of all the evil because it presumes that there are real differences among us that matter. There are not. We are ALL God's children and we should love one another, period.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:52 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
I broadly agree, Mystic though I would use the term '"Humans" rather than "God's children" and "We should all try to get along and stop beating each other over the head" rather than the rather vague and impractical "we should all love one another".

Old 01-14-2017, 11:45 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
"trickle" down will not work unless we pull back, more, into our boarders.
Regan tried it remember....

Trickle-down economics says that Reagan's lower tax rates should have helped all income levels. In fact, the exact opposite occurred. Income inequality worsened. Between 1979 and 2005, after-tax household income rose 6% for the bottom fifth. That sounds great until you see what happened for the top fifth -- an 80% increase in income. The top 1% saw their income triple. Instead of trickling down, it appears that prosperity trickled up.
(
Source: Steven Greenhouse, The Big Squeeze, pp.6-9)

Trickle Down Economics will never work. The rich have very large gutters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I have no quarrel with your analysis of the issues plaguing poor people of ANY race. But this tribalism is the root of all the evil because it presumes that there are real differences among us that matter.
This 'tribalism' is bred into us. It's all part of 'The Plan' and it starts the first day we attend school. As we walk through the door we are separated into 'Blue House' 'Green House' or 'Red House' and we pass our most formative years thinking that our colour 'house' is better than all the other 'Houses'. Red House throws stones at Blue House and Green House fights Orange House. Separatism begins... and we grow thinking that my house is better than yours, my street is better than yours, my town, my football team, my country, my skin colour, my race, my sexual orientation, my god. It grows and festers until we eventually see the massive divisions we have today even in our own countries; Catalonia doesn't want to be part of Spain; Wales and Scotland don't want to be part of the UK; the UK don't want to be part of Europe; the South is better than the North.

...and as all this fragmentation and division gathers speed through our lives it is encouraged by those at the top of the pyramid of power...because when we are divided we can be easily controlled. They sit in their ivory towers smiling....and applauding our stupidity.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:55 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:

I voted against people taking more than we give now.
Read it and weep people. The above attitude is the reason why America is the only 'developed' nation on the planet that doesn't offer it's citizens 'free' health care.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:11 AM

504 posts, read 299,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Read it and weep people. The above attitude is the reason why America is the only 'developed' nation on the planet that doesn't offer it's citizens 'free' health care.
Exactly. I can't understand the resistance to a universal health care system. Populations are healthier, because they don't have to worry about deductibles, limits, doctors they can see (HMOs restrict that), co-pays, waiting for insurance to approve a procedure or paying outrageous premiums.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:41 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Regan tried it remember....

Trickle-down economics says that Reagan's lower tax rates should have helped all income levels. In fact, the exact opposite occurred. Income inequality worsened. Between 1979 and 2005, after-tax household income rose 6% for the bottom fifth. That sounds great until you see what happened for the top fifth -- an 80% increase in income. The top 1% saw their income triple. Instead of trickling down, it appears that prosperity trickled up.
(
Source: Steven Greenhouse, The Big Squeeze, pp.6-9)

Trickle Down Economics will never work. The rich have very large gutters.

This 'tribalism' is bred into us. It's all part of 'The Plan' and it starts the first day we attend school. As we walk through the door we are separated into 'Blue House' 'Green House' or 'Red House' and we pass our most formative years thinking that our colour 'house' is better than all the other 'Houses'. Red House throws stones at Blue House and Green House fights Orange House. Separatism begins... and we grow thinking that my house is better than yours, my street is better than yours, my town, my football team, my country, my skin colour, my race, my sexual orientation, my god. It grows and festers until we eventually see the massive divisions we have today even in our own countries; Catalonia doesn't want to be part of Spain; Wales and Scotland don't want to be part of the UK; the UK don't want to be part of Europe; the South is better than the North.

...and as all this fragmentation and division gathers speed through our lives it is encouraged by those at the top of the pyramid of power...because when we are divided we can be easily controlled. They sit in their ivory towers smiling....and applauding our stupidity.
By God, that's true too. We were all friends at first school then at 11 we went to the next, were put in different houses, and year later weren't even speaking.

Tribalism is instinctive which is why those who ought to know better encourage it using the 'rivaly encourages effort' excuse. Doesn't make it the best way to do things, though.

Anyway, back to Arach and his endorsement of policies which he will find doesn't trickle down to him and he is being mulcted to pay for the Learjets of the rich. Then listen to him scream, blame Obama, Liberaism and atheism,

(If ya gotta have a broken record, that's mine )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism