U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:44 PM

141 posts, read 172,633 times

Advertisements

Judaism... What's your thought? Particularly Orthodox Judaism.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:59 AM

39,070 posts, read 10,842,814 times
I have always felt a sort of affinity with Judaism, or Jewish people, at least. But I really can't be doing with all that ritual stuff, really, not. And investing Faith in the OT and the daft stories of the Talmud, well, I'd almost prefer the Gospels.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:31 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,084,119 times
Orthodox Judaism, particularly the most strident sects, is in the same category in my mind as fundamentalist Christianity or any other fundamentalist ideology.

There was a thread somewhere here not long ago, probably in the Religion forum, where the OP was a woman who, because her husband was moving due to a new job, had moved into or next to one of the towns in SE corner of New York state, west of New York City, where the population is nearly 100% fundamentalist Jewish, probably Kiryas Joel, a Haredi community. She apparently had no clue about them and made the mistake of trying to trade with their shops while wearing what they consider immodest clothing, probably something that wouldn't raise an eyebrow in mixed company. They treated her rudely and basically had the goal of making her so uncomfortable as to leave town and hopefully not return.

This seems even more strident to me than the Christian fundamentalists who want women to wear ankle length skirts in drab colors. Even when Christians form cultural ghettoes, like the old order Amish, at least they interact with the outside world in a generally respectful, empathetic and even kindly manner. Kiryas Joel and New Square and such like seem quite antagonistic to their host society and have a history of dealing with it dishonestly, taking from the system more than they give. For example, their belief in having large families, as many children as their women can crank out, produces low average income and dependence on food stamps and such despite that their men often work in fairly lucrative fields such as software development. And there have been scandals about fraudulently obtaining government grants / loans for some of their projects. Google it if interested.

As to Judaism generally I have no particular issue, it is as much a cultural as a religious thing. At the other end of the spectrum, near as I can tell liberal Jews seem to be agnostic theists at best, similar to Unitarians in how they approach their belief system and position themselves within it.

On balance I see Judaism about the same as I see any form of theism, no better and no worse, with its own interesting distinctives.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:05 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,113,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Orthodox Judaism, particularly the most strident sects, is in the same category in my mind as fundamentalist Christianity or any other fundamentalist ideology.
I agree. I have never met an Orthodox Jew, but on the Judaism forum I have been having an off-and-on discussion with a person who claims to be one.

As a result of these discussions and discussions I have had with other Jews in that forum, I have lost a lot of respect for Judaism.

Last edited by hiker45; 07-08-2013 at 05:22 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I agree. I have never met an Orthodox Jew, but on the Judaism forum I have been having an off-and-on discussion with a person who claims to be one.

As a result of these discussions and discussions I have had with other Jews in that forum, I have lost a lot of respect for Judaism.
Never met an Orthodox Jew?

NY metro has nearly 1 million of them

Old 07-08-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamm View Post
Never met an Orthodox Jew?
Yep.

I once saw a guy wearing a beanie at work. Did that mean he was Orthodox?

In any event, I didn't talk to him.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Yep.

I once saw a guy wearing a beanie at work. Did that mean he was Orthodox?

In any event, I didn't talk to him.
Orthodox Jews :

Old 07-08-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamm View Post
Orthodox Jews :
And your point is?

Old 07-08-2013, 07:27 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,840,330 times
I think Orthodox Judaism is no better or worse than any other mainstream religion. Like many religions, there is a huge range of beliefs within the Orthodox community, from very modern to very conservative. The pictures above look like maybe they are of the more conservative members.

Ultra-orthodox Judaism, like any fundamentalist religion, is potentially socially, culturally and emotionally damaging to its followers because it mandates that they cut themselves off from mainstream culture and ideas. So that puts it up there with Fundamentalist LDS sects.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:35 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,222,188 times
Orthodox Judaism is the branch is Judaism for the most part have members having rabbis do all the thinking for them, reducing themselves to the level of drones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism