U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 05:29 PM

141 posts, read 172,578 times

Advertisements

Do you know any person or people you love very much that are Christians? If yes, what's your thought of their faith?

Last edited by Olamm; 07-08-2013 at 06:26 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 05:40 PM

84 posts, read 92,646 times
What kind of love do you mean?

My sister is a very devout Christian, I am agnostic, yet I love her more than anyone in the world.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:43 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,113,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamm View Post
Do you know any person or people you love very much that are Christians?
Yes, everyone in my family, including my wife of 42 years.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:04 PM

15,906 posts, read 8,167,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Yes, everyone in my family, including my wife of 42 years.
Ditto. Well, including my husband of 20+ years.

Why do you ask, Olamm?

Old 07-08-2013, 07:25 PM

3,404 posts, read 2,249,987 times
Quote:
Do you know any person or people you love very much that are Christians? If yes, what's your thought of their faith?
My entire family, and most of my extended family are devout Christians of one stripe or another.

Honestly, I don't think about their faith often. It is an issue, but I try to to be understanding so as not to put them in a position where they are forced to choose between their unbelieving son/brother and their religious convictions. Sometimes I get frustrated at the things their faith brings them to do (like allowing church elders to dictate who they can work for, retreating behind "courtship" to avoid having to deal with the opposite sex, etc...) but they are still my family. I understand their faith having shared it myself for most of my life, but I am no longer a part of it. It doesn't bother me that they have faith, though it does put a bit of distance between us, as I am now a hell bound godless heathen and they are still God's elect. I just try to be true to myself in as gentle and loving a way as I can, knowing where they are coming from.

-NoCapo

Old 07-08-2013, 07:44 PM

14,194 posts, read 9,080,735 times
Two of my three brothers are still alive and they are both Christians -- one a fundamentalist and one I would characterize as a backslidden fundamentalist who hasn't figured out that he doesn't really believe anymore. The active fundie and I seem to have evolved a "don't ask, don't tell" policy about my unbelief. He's 70 and I don't particularly want to upset his world so I won't bring it up so long as he doesn't. He has two religious kids; his daughter is married to a pastor. I seldom see them, they are usually globe-trotting doing mission work anyway.

My 2 children and 2 stepchildren are all unbelievers. I have a brother in law that I'm close to and a sister in law that I'm not close to and both are unbelievers. Neither my wife or I are close to extended family other than that, and my two brothers live nearly a thousand miles from us, my parents are dead, my wife's mother is long gone and she's estranged from her father, who is an unbeliever in any event. So I haven't thought of it in those terms but I guess I am not in much contact with Christian relatives anymore. This slightly simplifies my life but I would take it in stride if it were a factor.

Despite being fundamentalist Christians, my parents, when they were alive, were pretty good about minding their own business and respecting my boundaries. I wasn't yet self-identifying as an atheist when they were alive and my role as sole caregiver for a fatally ill wife gave me cover for not being active in church. If they knew I were an unbeliever they would be concerned for me but would not disown me or anything like that. Many fundie children don't have it that easy.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:08 AM

10,946 posts, read 8,254,373 times
My oldest son has recently begun attending church services (at the urging of my ex).

I have made no comment to him on the subject and fortunately he has made no comment to me other than he is doing this.

If it makes him feel better, fine. Just keep it to himself.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:24 PM

4,348 posts, read 2,974,590 times
2/3 or my relatives...my favorite people on the planet.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:27 PM

20,332 posts, read 10,444,250 times
Most of my relatives. It is of no consequence in our relationship.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:14 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,279,657 times
Quote:
Do you know any person or people you love very much that are Christians?
Many.

Quote:
If yes, what's your thought of their faith?
That it is unsubstantiated nonsense, but none of my business unless they stick it in my face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism