Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:43 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,424,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I was made aware of the existence of God in an unmistakable way by my encounter in deep meditation
No. You were not. You had a strong emotional experience. That is all. And your failure to rationalise that experience led you to append the label "god" to it and then embark on a decades long attempt to retrofit "evidence" to that arbitrary labeling in order to define "god" into existence for yourself.

Quote:
I was NOT insane or deluded
The former no - the latter very much so. As I said there is no reason to think that your experience was anything but a powerful emotional response. Those of us who engage in such meditation know exactly the experiences you speak of. Intimately. We simply have not used them as a platform from which to make a leap of illogic.

The majority of the rest of your post is just protestylising so at the risk of breaking the rules I can not respond to it. You are on your own engaging in rule breaches.

Quote:
That is solid and more plausible (given our consciousness) than any of the competing hypotheses.
Then by all means produce some arguments supporting that hypothesis because thus far the only support you have offered is "I believe it - therefore it must be plausible". Which I think even you are compelled to agree is about as unconvincing an argument as it is to present around here.

Quote:
That does not mean unscientifically . . . just not verifiable second hand.
The whole process of science is related to being able to verify things second hand. Look up the phrase "peer review" and learn about it and you will understand this. So yes your approach very much is unscientific - despite your need to declare it otherwise.

In fact the leap of "I had a poweful emotional response" to "Therefore god" really is a great example of "Silly religious answers to questions".

Quote:
I have numerous posts explaining my synthesis repeatedly using both $10 words and simpler analogies and metaphors.
Alas the majority of those anecdotes were shown to be nonsense. Your attempt to declare energy was just mass vibrating quickly was decimated by trained physicists like Morbert and in the end you were forced to back pedal it to declare it was nothing more than analogy - but an analogy to nonsense can only breed nonsense. For an analogy to hold the thing you are making an analogy to has to itself be sensible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 06:34 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,440,479 times
Default To extend the question a little...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
This is more a rant than anything else.

Why is it, when religious people ask "Why didn't God answer my prayer?" (e.g. my kid died or something else awful happened), OTHER religious people answer with something like "God does answer all prayers, it's just that sometimes the answer is no."

Honestly, I read stuff like this and I think, Are you serious? THAT is your answer?

Do they honestly believe that that is a good answer?

Sometimes I just don't get SOME religious people. (Don't want to lump them all together ... I have friends who are religious but not fundamentalists and they would never answer the way I wrote above.)

/end rant

... exactly what is the purpose of prayer?

Does anyone really think their prayer will change the actions of an all-knowing, all-powerful deity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism