U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 06:48 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,283,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamm View Post
Those are miracles from God. Use NT, not Jewish bible.
No one on this forum likely sees them as such. To us here they are just events in a story book and are no more special that Gandalf defeating the enormous troll in Lord of the Rings. Or Luke Skywalker making things float with the power of his mind.

It is you confusing fiction with fact, not us. It does not really matter which text we are reading from.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:07 AM

816 posts, read 1,556,811 times
Quote:
Those are miracles from God. Use NT, not Jewish bible.
Because walking on water, turning water into wine and resurrecting the dead is so much more believable.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:07 AM

20,332 posts, read 10,454,337 times
ONTVisit, I mean Olamm, why would you continue to think that any of us are repulsed by sculpture, are, words, etc?

You have asked the same questions in your various incarnations here on CD, so why don't you just read the answers that have been presented?

Old 07-10-2013, 07:31 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,089,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
ONTVisit, I mean Olamm, why would you continue to think that any of us are repulsed by sculpture, are, words, etc?

You have asked the same questions in your various incarnations here on CD, so why don't you just read the answers that have been presented?
I don't know if Olamm is a reincarnation of ONTVisit or not, but his questions seem odd and his "curiosity" feigned. I think he is just gumming at the edges of proselytizing because he thinks he can shake unbelief like faith can be shaken. Doesn't work that way for the most part, although, to the small extent it does (there is the occasional reconvert) it is untroubling to me. Unlike theists, I have no dogma to protect, no membership to preserve. The essence of free thinking is freedom of thought, including the freedom to stop thinking and return to the theist bubble. Whatever works for someone is fine with me.

He also may be assuming that we would be fooled into thinking we have a potential deconvert here. If so then what he doesn't understand is that while we can and will help a genuine deconvert by answering questions, deconversion doesn't need our help as such, it just happens on its own, because it's the deconvert who has to have the doubts and ask the questions and do the thinking for themselves. If we have to help it along with guilt trips, legends, and appeals to authority then we're just another made up set of ideas with no actual veracity to commend us to anyone. Also we'd be an actual organization or system rather than just a label for people who have individually come to an objectively supportable position about the nature of reality. There is no "church of atheism" and what atheist organizations and advocacy groups there are speak for only a small minority of unbelievers. We are not joiners by nature for the most part.

I am engaging Olamm, or whoever he is, more for the benefit of thinking people in general. On the outside chance that Olamm is actually an unbigoted and unthreatened believer, who doesn't need to otherize and caricature us in his mind and the minds of others -- that rarest of creatures -- so much the better. But I'm not holding my breath.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:58 AM

2,826 posts, read 1,866,797 times
Quote:
Sorry, I know I created few other threads in the atheist forum asking some questions, but I am very curious and interested to know. I never myself met an open atheist so this forum is great to ask question.

When you see Jesus image, a crucifix/cross, watch Christian movies (particularly Passion of the Christ), went to cathedrals and saw all those sad statues and images such as when Virgin Mary holds Christ' body when he died, etc. don't you feel sad and make you think that you deny him and Christianity? What's your reaction? Don't you feel guilty? Jesus died for our sins, and yet you refuse to believe in him. You know what I mean.

I myself converted when I watched passion of the Christ and read the sermon on the mount.

Please share your thoughts. I'm not here to change your mind, but curious about your thought.

This statue itself makes me think, feel sad and loving.
It depends on the Christian imagery. When I see the inside of a Christian bookstore, my skin crawls. I'm a regular attendant at church, but I've read the works of other religions, so a site dedicated to the notion that only Christian books are worth reading, is kind of abhorrent to me. Seeing statues of the various saints on the other hand, is kinda inspiring.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:23 AM

39,172 posts, read 10,865,034 times
Ah, books now...I hurry past the section of the library with paperbacks with a prematurely white -haired buffer with an ecstatic grin of the front cover...'My journey to Faith...by Peter Vizion.' It sours my saliva like 'Olanzo Grabola..My lifetime search for Chupacabra..' or 'Maizie Fibbett...Fairies in my front room...'

Old 07-10-2013, 10:25 AM

7,945 posts, read 4,743,974 times
Quote:
My hindu college professor said that nobody basically believes in that religion.. It is more for culture and cultural reason. Most Hindus know a little about their religion.

I don't like Hinduism because it is Pagan.... Cow god, elephant, 6 hand god etc. they must be kidding
Your college professor was wrong, likely working from a skewed sampling. I had plenty of devout Hindu friends and find a lot of them on religious forums. India's culture does emphasize religious-pluralism and secularism, which is likely why most intellectuals there (like your Indian professor), become Atheist or simply non-religious. Go read the Lord's Song (Bhagavad Gita) and finish reading all four gospels and after that skip to "revelations/apocalypse" and read all of that. Then after that, don't forget to read Gulliver's travels (book 4 is my favorite, I believe... the one with the horses and the yahoo monkeys) and then Candide, the optimist by Voltaire.

I don't like Christianity because its not civilized enough, it's a religion for rural, uneducated people who like living in the bronze and iron ages...
Human god, lamb god, dove god, multiple-personality Demiurge which holds a Iron-clad Tyranny in Heaven. Committed assisted suicide of his son-self-lamb personality. Breaks His own rules like a Hypocrite. Impregnated a young girl without her consent. Manifests as FIRE. ASKED FOR ANIMAL SACRIFICE. Made human and blood sacrifice Illegal after a few centuries of it with his "chosen people" (talk about racism), then performed it on Himself. four-faced six-winged angels? Requires simulated drowning and punishes thought-crime. The birds of the sky would die of starvation, and the lotus would wither, yet he supposedly "secretly" provides for them. Simulated cannibalism and blood rituals. Punishes and tortures His own people by gambling with their lives and faith. I'm not even finished naming all the ridiculous things in it, but they must be kidding.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 07-10-2013 at 10:38 AM..

Old 07-10-2013, 10:27 AM

12,196 posts, read 9,895,006 times
I absolutely LOVE christian bookstores because of a funny story that tickles me every time I think of it. I know a guy who was traveling for work. He saw a sign for a book store and went in. He had nothing to occupy him during the return flight. He walked in, looked around a bit. As he was leaving, the woman behind the counter said "Can I help you find anything"? He said, no thank you. I am not in the right store for what I am looking for. She said "What are you looking for"? Popular fiction. Her reply "Popular where? In hell?" You have to imagine the venomous inflection since I can't type it. I crack up every time I think of that.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:14 PM

141 posts, read 172,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then you don't believe that the bible is 100% accurate.

And I can insult anyone I choose to.
Which Bible... The Christian New Testament or the Hebrew Old Testament?

No, you cannot insult anyone. Be careful what you say in public!

Old 07-10-2013, 12:23 PM

41,047 posts, read 18,583,829 times
Quote:
Stop insulting our Lord and Savior!
"Your" Lord, not "ours."

A good portion of my life has been devoted to getting out from under the influence of assorted bogus authority figures. That you feel some need to have an imaginary one in your life in addition to the real ones is your problem, not mine.

Finally, that you subscribe to an idea that I find preposterous is your business, but you have no basis to demand that I respect that preposterous belief. By the US Constitution I am only required to respect your right to believe in foolish things, not the foolish belief itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism