U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:27 PM

20,332 posts, read 10,512,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamm View Post
Which Bible... The Christian New Testament or the Hebrew Old Testament?

No, you cannot insult anyone. Be careful what you say in public!
The OT and the NT ARE the christian bible.

We don't have hate speech laws here, I can say whatever I choose to say.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:12 PM

3,404 posts, read 2,262,433 times
Quote:
My Hindu professor was a religious hindu. She is a professor, and you are saying she is wrong?!
Hinduism is mostly for cultural reason. Which normal human being would actually pray and believe in an elephant god and other god(s) funny figures in 21st century?
For those of us who don't believe without evidence, there is just as much reason to believe in Ganesha and the rest of the Hindu pantheon as there is for Jesus and the rest of his triune self. None. I understand you don't see it that way, but it will help your understanding of atheists if you realize that the amazement you feel that someone could worship Ganesha is the same amazement we feel that someone could rely on the bible as truth and worship Jesus as the savior of mankind. You don't have to agree, but at least it ought ot help you understand.

Quote:
Christianity is a universal religion, and world's largest religion. It is a religion for everybody, both rich and poor, both for rural and urban people, and you know it. Indeed, Christianity founded science, hospitals, universities, charity, and among other things. Many well educated and wealthy people are Christians. Faith has nothing to do with poor, rich, educated or uneducated. Since you have no faith and don't believe in God, it is hard for you to understand the bible from your heart. All doctors, scientist and lawyers I know of regularly attend church and are very religious.
Two points:
A great many of us are very, very familiar with Christianity. We were believers, some Catholic, some Orthodox, some Protestant. We understand just fine, that is why we left.

Secondly, just becasue your social circle is limited to people that believe like you, that does not imply that the rest of the world is the same. There are a great many doctors, lawyers, scientists, bricklayers, grass cutters, and bums who are not religious. If anything, there is in general a correlations between education, affluence, and a lack of religion.

-NoCapo

Old 07-10-2013, 02:50 PM

243 posts, read 390,894 times
Olamm, I'm curious. Why don't you believe in the whole Bible, including the OT? Every Church I've been to studies both the OT and NT and preaches that both are true. It's the same god in the OT and the NT, so why don't you believe in his earlier 'miracles'?

Since you're dismissing some things that other users are pointing out, I guess it's also fair to dismiss Abraham, Moses, Noah and the flood, Adam and Eve, and all the other farcical stories as well? Not to mention all the prophecies about a coming Messiah; in which case Jesus was....not a god?

I'm just really honestly curious. I've never heard a Christian or a preacher speak like that.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:52 PM

141 posts, read 173,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Hello View Post
Olamm, I'm curious. Why don't you believe in the whole Bible, including the OT? Every Church I've been to studies both the OT and NT and preaches that both are true. It's the same god in the OT and the NT, so why don't you believe in his earlier 'miracles'?

Since you're dismissing some things that other users are pointing out, I guess it's also fair to dismiss Abraham, Moses, Noah and the flood, Adam and Eve, and all the other farcical stories as well? Not to mention all the prophecies about a coming Messiah; in which case Jesus was....not a god?
I'm follower of Christ, and the gospels and his teaching. I believe in the bible, but Christians do not follow Jewish law. We do not cut penises and we eat pork. We don't wear modest clothing.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:59 PM

20,332 posts, read 10,512,082 times
Quote:
I'm follower of Christ, and the gospels and his teaching. I believe in the bible, but Christians do not follow Jewish law. We do not cut penises and we eat pork. We don't wear modest clothing.
The christian forum is right next door. You can go over there to discuss your beliefs.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:09 PM

141 posts, read 173,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The christian forum is right next door. You can go over there to discuss your beliefs.
Didn't you just ask a question, and I gave you a respond? OMG

Old 07-10-2013, 05:14 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,379,482 times
I've seen the images so much I can basically ignore them. I have no problem with them being displayed; it's all a part of our cultural makeup, even for those of us who no longer believe in it.

Honestly, I nearly forgot Passion of the Christ existed. I thought it was pretty average and not particularly shocking. I mean, I knew the 14 stations of the cross. I'd read the passion story, seen Jesus Christ Superstar and Godspell and Bach's St. Matthew Passion and Life of Brian, so it's not like I didn't know what was going to happen.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:48 PM

39,626 posts, read 11,061,143 times
Quote:
I understand the point you are making. Atheists do often ask Christians why they don't follow all the stuff in the Bible. They answer that Jesus made the Mosaic law obsolete or 'fulfilled' is the term Matthew uses. The only parts of the Bible that are still valid usage are those specifically endorsed in the New testament.

I still say that the argument is valid that the stuff in the OT cannot be regarded as the work of a god we should respect, let alone believe in, but is just what was done in the past. The 'message' has changed and we are not obliged to stone unbelieving family members anymore. We can leave it to God to torture them indefinitely after death instead.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:52 PM

13,581 posts, read 21,772,880 times
Thread is closed

All posters with religious beliefs should read the Administrators sticky atop this forum before attempting to proseltyze here. That included deliberate bait posts to bring the discussion to one's particular doctrine.
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism