U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:51 PM

141 posts, read 172,708 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I know I created few other threads in the atheist forum asking some questions, but I am very curious and interested to know. I never myself met an open atheist so this forum is great to ask question.

-

When you see Jesus image, a crucifix/cross, watch Christian movies (particularly Passion of the Christ), went to cathedrals and saw all those sad statues and images such as when Virgin Mary holds Christ' body when he died, etc. don't you feel sad and make you think that you deny him and Christianity? What's your reaction? Don't you feel guilty? Jesus died for our sins, and yet you refuse to believe in him. You know what I mean.

I myself converted when I watched passion of the Christ and read the sermon on the mount.

Please share your thoughts. I'm not here to change your mind, but curious about your thought.

This statue itself makes me think, feel sad and loving.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:57 PM

41,029 posts, read 18,583,829 times
A cross makes my skin burn.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:06 PM

794 posts, read 1,196,290 times
In art, like the sculpture pictured, religious motifs were the only permitted ones. It's a sculpture of maternal love and grief. The ceiling of the sistine chapel is a beautiful riot of colour and action. Boticelli's Venus is a beautiful picture. Chartres cathedral is an amazing building, etc. They only reflect religion in that religion was the only allowable topic in those days.

I don't feel guilty in cathedrals, they are welcoming of tourists so long as you're quiet. They often have brochures and things for visitors, too.

Crucifixes are disgusting. Glorification and worship of death and torture. They and the people who display them make me shudder.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
A cross makes my skin burn.
Not nearly as much as garlic, though.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:25 PM

13,678 posts, read 13,606,695 times
One can be an atheist and appreciate the sentiments or aesthetics underlying religious art. I appreciate it for its technical loveliness and the skill of craftsmanship. I can even appreciate the story. But the superstition pervading the entire thing really doesn't do anything for me. It doesn't make me think about "God." I view it the same way I would the Venus de Milo or Native American kachina dolls as far as religion is concerned.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:29 PM

7,945 posts, read 4,743,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamm View Post
Sorry, I know I created few other threads in the atheist forum asking some questions, but I am very curious and interested to know. I never myself met an open atheist so this forum is great to ask question.

-

When you see Jesus image, a crucifix/cross, watch Christian movies (particularly Passion of the Christ), went to cathedrals and saw all those sad statues and images such as when Virgin Mary holds Christ' body when he died, etc. don't you feel sad and make you think that you deny him and Christianity? What's your reaction? Don't you feel guilty? Jesus died for our sins, and yet you refuse to believe in him. You know what I mean.

I myself converted when I watched passion of the Christ and read the sermon on the mount.

Please share your thoughts. I'm not here to change your mind, but curious about your thought.

This statue itself makes me think, feel sad and loving.
You obviously don't seem very critical. I suggest you read the Bhagavad Gita (The Lord's Song); You'll probably immediately convert to Hinduism if you skip over the "caste systems are good" parts. After you are done, you should read all four gospels completely... then we'll see if you think Jesus "died for our sins" or for the crimes of inspiring sedition and heresy.
religious art reminds me of any other art.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:30 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,115,423 times
Quote:
When you see Jesus image, a crucifix/cross, watch Christian movies (particularly Passion of the Christ), went to cathedrals and saw all those sad statues and images such as when Virgin Mary holds Christ' body when he died, etc. don't you feel sad and make you think that you deny him and Christianity? What's your reaction?
My reaction is to admire the faith that some Christians have. I think Christianity is a beautiful religion and it brings comfort to many very well meaning people.

Of course, it is all a bunch of malarkey, but it makes people feel good and it doesn't hurt me, so I have nothing against it.

Quote:
Don't you feel guilty?
For what? I ain't be hurting no one.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:36 PM

141 posts, read 172,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
You obviously don't seem very critical. I suggest you read the Bhagavad Gita (The Lord's Song); You'll probably immediately convert to Hinduism if you skip over the "caste systems are good" parts. After you are done, you should read all four gospels completely... then we'll see if you think Jesus "died for our sins" or for the crimes of inspiring sedition and heresy.
religious art reminds me of any other art.
My hindu college professor said that nobody basically believes in that religion.. It is more for culture and cultural reason. Most Hindus know a little about their religion.

I don't like Hinduism because it is Pagan.... Cow god, elephant, 6 hand god etc. they must be kidding

Old 07-09-2013, 09:40 PM

So true, a tripartite tasty yet ever replenishing god is so much more logical!

Old 07-09-2013, 09:46 PM

39,158 posts, read 10,865,034 times
I feel the same when I see artworks or films about the Greek gods, except without the annoyance that people are trying to make us feel guilty about not believing the myths.
Jesus did not die for our sins. Jesus died because he claimed to be king of the jews. That is what the Bible says. I would ask whether you don't feel guilty watching films about the passion where the jews are made to look like a lot of brutes and are blamed for a Roman execution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism