Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:05 AM

141 posts, read 204,008 times

Advertisements

Why is it that non-Christians, particularly atheists, tend to bash Christians and Christianity based on Jewish scriptures (Old Testament) and organized religion? Those people pick and choose, and tend to forget the life and teachings of Christ, the sermon on the mount, etc.

There are more than 2.2 billion Christians worldwide, just because few individuals are bad does not mean they represent the entire religion and Christ' teaching.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
I don't bash anyone as a matter of principle. But I do disagree with the behavior of many christians. The things that some do in the name of their god(s) is pure hate and thoroughly unsupportable. I could not care less what people choose to believe.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:12 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamm View Post
Why is it that non-Christians, particularly atheists, tend to bash Christians and Christianity based on Jewish scriptures (Old Testament) and organized religion? Those people pick and choose, and tend to forget the life and teachings of Christ, the sermon on the mount, etc.

There are more than 2.2 billion Christians worldwide, just because few individuals are bad does not mean they represent the entire religion and Christ' teaching.
They DO NOT bash Christians or people from other religions. Maybe they are sometimes unhappy with the importance given to organized religion and the vitriol spewed towards them. Most religious start of by stating that ALL non-believers will ROT IN HELL. Now that's no way to begin a friendly relationship .. is it?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:23 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Why come onto an atheist forum and tell us we're all wrong?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:37 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,533 times
Quote:

I think maybe you ought to clarify what you mean by bash.

I disagree with the conclusions and assertions of Christianity, and pretty much every other religion as well, based on evidence or the lack thereof, logical inconsistancy in doctrine, and hypocricy in the behavior of their adherents. I don't consider any of this bashing. I do not make the assumption that believers are somehow defective, inferior, subhuman, or otherwise deficient, I just think they are wrong.

As far as why Christianity can be and is often criticized on the basis of the OT, it is because much of Christianity claims that the OT is a part of their divinely inspired scriptures. If you don't want to have the inconsistencies in your scripture pointed out, then do not rely on them divinely inspired, and for a certainty you should not claim that they are to be taken literally. If you make these claims, then I am free to point out the problems inherent in such claims.

As far as the last point, as an atheist, I do not believe Christianity or any religion can be evaluated on any other merit besides "organized religion". That is quite literally all they are! To evaluate Christianity outside of "organized religion, I must throw out all creeds or other statements of doctrine, as well as the Bible itself, as it is a product of "organized religion". Without any tradition, creed, or scripture what of Christianity is left? the "life and teachings of Jesus" that you want to be evaluated on are a product of organized religion, being written by unknown authors, compiled from oral accounts, and used for doctrinal polemics, as well as being weeded out during the canonization process.

What you seem to be asking is why can't we forget the factual errors, inconsistencies, lack of empirical evidence, and abuses that are part and parcel of Christianity, and just agree that whatever you believe is right. My question is why should we?

To disagree is not bashing. To point out where you are wrong or inconsistent is not bashing. To refuse to allow religious dogma to be taught as fact or codified into discriminatory laws is not bashing. Maybe you can clarify what you find objectionable.

-NoCapo

Old 07-10-2013, 09:50 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Default Why bash Christianity?

because, if we didn't, we, as atheists, wouldn't have anything to do.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:55 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:

Because silly christians keep coming in here and posting thread after thread of inane drivel.

Haven't you multiple other threads tell you that we generally don't care about your personal beliefs, as long as you don't try to force us to live by your religions dictates?

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
because, if we didn't, we, as atheists, wouldn't have anything to do.
For my part, I don't act "as an atheist". Atheist is another word to describe me like pale skinned, type-a... whatever.

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Poking holes in your argument is not bashing, it's exposing the inconsistencies.

1,816 posts, read 2,512,239 times
Whenever I see posts like this, I feel compelled to remind the OP that for most English-speaking forums, the predominant religion that will be encountered by atheists is Christianity. So any bashing, or critiques, or challenges, or questioning, will likely reflect the most common religion encountered by this particular set of people.

Generally speaking: atheists find all religions to be equally nonsensical. But in terms of which religions most affect western, English speaking atheists, Christianity is simply the most common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism