U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of non-believer are you?
Intellectual Atheist/Agnostics (IAA) 27 52.94%
Activist Atheist/Agnostics (AAA) 3 5.88%
Non-theists 10 19.61%
Seeker Agnostics (SA) 3 5.88%
Ritual Atheist/Agnostics (RAA) 2 3.92%
Antitheists 6 11.76%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 07:29 PM

76 posts, read 93,261 times

Advertisements

Very active IAA and AAA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 02:18 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,641,093 times
Agree that there are many different types of atheists but I would have say I am mostly Intellectual with a bit of Anti and Everyday atheist thrown in for good measure.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:13 PM

5,192 posts, read 4,393,170 times
What a surprise!

You mean atheists aren't all some homogeneous entity with a hive mind who all think alike, share the same responses to stimuli, have the same hopes and desires, etc?

Who knew?

Old 10-14-2013, 01:16 PM

480 posts, read 508,513 times
Is anyone else a spiritual atheist? I suppose that would be included in the subset Seeker Agnostics. That's me!

Old 10-14-2013, 10:52 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,167,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
Is anyone else a spiritual atheist? I suppose that would be included in the subset Seeker Agnostics. That's me!
What is your definition of spiritual? What is a seeker agnostic?

Old 10-15-2013, 07:00 AM

480 posts, read 508,513 times
Sizzly, seeker agnostic was one of the choices in the poll at the beginning of this thread. I suppose I call myself a spiritual atheist because while I don't believe in an external God figure, I do feel a sense of wonder and awe about nature, the universe and yes, even science. Perhaps a better label for me would be Pantheist.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
Sizzly, seeker agnostic was one of the choices in the poll at the beginning of this thread. I suppose I call myself a spiritual atheist because while I don't believe in an external God figure, I do feel a sense of wonder and awe about nature, the universe and yes, even science. Perhaps a better label for me would be Pantheist.
Okay. Using that definition for spiritual makes me spiritual also! Although I am surely not a Pantheist.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:18 PM

6,869 posts, read 3,793,329 times
So many definitions and labels!

I'm a nonchalant spiritual intellectual pantheist ritual seeker everyday agnostic atheist (not really LOL)
I wonder if anyone has ever tried to shoehorn them all in.

Sizzly you are probably a Humanist like me:
"Humanists think for themselves about what is right and wrong, based on reason and respect for others. Find meaning, beauty and joy in the one life we have, without the need for an afterlife.
Look to science instead of religion as the best way to discover and understand the world.
Believe people can use empathy and compassion to make the world a better place for everyone."

Last edited by Cruithne; 10-15-2013 at 03:32 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
So many definitions and labels!

I'm a nonchalant spiritual intellectual pantheist ritual seeker everyday agnostic atheist (not really LOL)
I wonder if anyone has ever tried to shoehorn them all in.

Sizzly you are probably a Humanist like me:
"Humanists think for themselves about what is right and wrong, based on reason and respect for others. Find meaning, beauty and joy in the one life we have, without the need for an afterlife.
Look to science instead of religion as the best way to discover and understand the world.
Believe people can use empathy and compassion to make the world a better place for everyone."
That's me!

Old 10-16-2013, 01:41 AM

559 posts, read 719,377 times
What ever happened to "None of the Above"?

Even if this was a method developed to separate atheists from "religious nones", the sub-categories/labels do nothing to describe my day to day thoughts and shouldn't have to.

I'm an atheist, and in many ways it's an oxymoron, it describes all of me, and none of me. It can be simple at times, complicated at others. Like others have pointed out, there are times when I might exhibit signs of every one of those categories with the exception of seeker/agnostic, but it has no relevance to my life outside of that fleeting moment. Yeah, when I hear stories of teenage boys in Islamic countries being sentenced to death for homosexuality, then I get very anti-theist. And when I'm trying to make a point, I can get intellectual. And when I think an atheist's rights are being violated, then I might come off sounding a bit activist. But still, all these thoughts are situational, and do not describe me at all, nor is it necessary to. But in the end if this research helps atheists in some way I suppose I should be all for it, yet I'm somewhat uneasy about it. Perhaps I need to ponder it some more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism