U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of non-believer are you?
Intellectual Atheist/Agnostics (IAA) 27 52.94%
Activist Atheist/Agnostics (AAA) 3 5.88%
Non-theists 10 19.61%
Seeker Agnostics (SA) 3 5.88%
Ritual Atheist/Agnostics (RAA) 2 3.92%
Antitheists 6 11.76%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 07:45 PM

10,626 posts, read 4,945,132 times

Advertisements

I care about social issues and vote accordingly, but am not an activist, so that leaves me mostly in the "non-theist" category. I want nothing to do with religion.
I dislike religiosity, but it's not my personality to argue with others or try to convince them that I'm right/they're wrong (even if that's just what I think).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 02:39 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,959,144 times
If I were to classify myself I would say I am a feral atheist, the natural state of how we were all born. Sadly for most the 'training' about deities begins long before potty training begins.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:51 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,868,909 times
Definite anti-theist here. Most religions are severe psychological illnesses which pervert and distort people's inborn humanity. The world would be a better, happier place if they were eradicated in the same manner one would eradicate a major disease.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:03 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,959,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Definite anti-theist here. Most religions are severe psychological illnesses which pervert and distort people's inborn humanity. The world would be a better, happier place if they were eradicated in the same manner one would eradicate a major disease.
I have anti-theist side when faced of some of the ignorance demonstrated by theists. Some of this ignorance is so egregious in nature as to present a real and present danger to society.

Example, an opinion piece in the local paper by pastor of a local church.
No need to worry about air pollution, or to call the EPA, as it's all under his imaginary friends control.

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...=2013311120008

And lets not forget the Secretary of Interior under Reagan that believed we didn't have to protect the environment because god was coming soon and at least the people he cared about would be raptured.

Parents that pray over their children instead of taking them to a doctor.

The blind irrational hate they feel obligated to demonstrate toward anyone they see as different, for any number of reasons, or excuses. Race, gender, beliefs (or not), sexual preferences, and many trivial reasons, yet will justify it as 'doing my invisible friends work'.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:58 PM

14,195 posts, read 9,082,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Example, an opinion piece in the local paper by pastor of a local church.
No need to worry about air pollution, or to call the EPA, as it's all under his imaginary friends control.

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...=2013311120008
It's just a variation of the fundamentalist loathing of "the social gospel" -- the real problem is sin and everything else including the climate will be fixed if god has no reason to judge us. Feeding the hungry and poor and preserving the environment is a waste of time from their point of view. It's one of the things that makes religion, particularly fundamentalism, so dangerous ... it takes people's attention from pressing real world problems and wastes their life-force on imaginary issues.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:44 PM

608 posts, read 389,965 times
Activist and Anti Theist. A mixture of both but heavier on the Anti Theist side..I am militantly anti religion and anti christian in particular.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:03 AM

10 posts, read 6,174 times
Most of the 20 best countries by gini hdi have robust outspoken activist atheists or simply treat religion and faith as a habit like nail biting or for heritage . The 20 worst are theocracies or oligarchy like Russia. I'm deeply opposed to all religion but none more so than Islam it is anti woman, anti gay, anti freethinking it's Mohammed's way or death and I like the 21st century not 8th century.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:52 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,644,991 times
Would someone who believes in God but despises Him also be considered an antitheist?

Old 10-05-2014, 07:57 PM

14,195 posts, read 9,082,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Would someone who believes in God but despises Him also be considered an antitheist?
An antitheist but not an atheist.

You can't despise someone you don't believe in. In fact I find that one of the benefits of atheism ... if I still believed in god I'd waste a lot of energy being disappointed and angry with him ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism