U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:46 AM

3,571 posts, read 6,189,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazedandAmused View Post
Here's something that tickles me about most atheists I know: they purport to hold some kind of intelligent superiority over 'believers', often mocking them and trolling them on the internet or in person. Believers are stupid because the vehemently support and worship some invisible guy in the clouds. How stupid are they, right? Lets spend all this time and energy deriding them for it. My Facebook is riddled with these messages on a daily basis. Another major complaint of my Atheist friends is that they are sick and tired of the religious and their annoying yet feeble attempts at shoving religion down our throats, especially through a bombardment of proselytizing (Mormons and Jehovas Witnesses knocking on doors, endless cable TV shows of whacky religions sermons, etc).

Here's the thing though. Atheists (of these kind) are just like the people they make fun of. They proselyte using social media and books, they form groups and hold meetings to discuss Atheism, (sounds like church to me) and they are very much in your face about it. The only difference between religious freaks and atheist freaks are that religious freaks claim to have a moral and spiritual superiority over atheists, and atheists freaks claim to have intellectual superiority over believers. Yet they both claim to have something the other does not. Silly.

As an agnostic, both are wrong. Both sides despise the other even though they are mirror images of each other.

Doesn't it make the most logical sense to make no claim at all? Maybe there is a God, maybe their isn't. There's no way to say either way. I don't care if you believe in a God, I don't care if you don't. I don't mind religious symbols in our schools and government, because I understand why they're there. Doesn't bother me. And I also understand that sometimes its taken too far and needs to be balanced. But why all the fuss over who is right, who is wrong, who is smart and who is dumb? Does it really matter?

Atheists aren't immoral and the religious aren't dumb. How hard is it to just admit that and try to find peace and understanding with one another?

/rant off
Agnostics, to me are Christians in denial. You deny Christianity yet you "sorta" believe something of a higher power, just in-case. Cause when the rapture comes (yah right) at least you can say "well I never DENIED there was a power there, so I'm technically not wrong".. So you yourself are a wacko in denial.. At least us Atheists own up to it, and when the rapture comes (did I mention yea right) we'll be the first to say well aint that some sh**.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:50 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,104,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Exactly my thoughts. According to me, agnostics have the stupidest position out of the three: theists, atheists, agnostics. It's like saying: maybe there is a santa claus maybe there is isn't. If you are consistent, you agnostics would be agnostics for everything: tooth fairy, santa claus, yeti ....
I think agnostics just have trouble separating the issue of belief from the question of whether they have absolutely certain knowledge. Largely this is based upon the fallacy that there is such a thing as absolute certainty about anything in the first place -- much less about god(s). This feeds the misconception that atheists uniformly are absolutely certain beyond any shadow of a doubt that there is no god. Hilarity ensues.

I don't think it's helpful (and sounds juvenile, frankly) to brand anyone's position as stupid, much less stupidest. Agnosticism has a lot of motivations, including a desire for a more socially acceptable label than atheist; personally, I don't think it's stupid, just misunderstood and misused. I am an agnostic atheist but that is basically a technicality. If I am 100% positive there's no god or 99.9999% sure there is no god, or even 97% sure there is no god, it's not going to make a difference in my philosophy, metaphysics, ethics, or beliefs.

As for agnostic consistency, I don't know ... everyone compartmentalizes. People are so used to putting god in a totally separate category that it's quite possible to have different concerns / needs around god-beliefs than around other things. It took me years to learn to regard god propositions the same as any other and not be so overly impressed with them.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:53 AM

35,329 posts, read 19,348,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
So if you dont like someone's observation that makes them a troll?
You're more than welcome to miscomprehend and twist things whichever way your mind wanders.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:06 PM

7,813 posts, read 10,714,284 times
Thread closed pending moderator consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or