U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 05:50 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times

Advertisements

Well if we are doing stats:

retired
female
single
atheist since in my 20's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 08:48 PM

14,190 posts, read 9,077,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
working
male
married
atheist for about 18 years

Old 11-18-2013, 09:00 PM

243 posts, read 389,519 times
Quote:
female
divorced
atheist for a few years now.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:48 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,485,551 times
Male
Unmarried but committed
Defacto raised atheist in a secular mixed faith household.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:58 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,950,506 times
Women are more a social being, a whole lot more concerned about what others think, and their approval than they should. Women don't dress for men, they dress to impress other women. Two guys show up at a meeting in the same suit and no one notices or cares. Two women wear the same dress and the drama ensues.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:44 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Women are more a social being, a whole lot more concerned about what others think, and their approval than they should. Women don't dress for men, they dress to impress other women. Two guys show up at a meeting in the same suit and no one notices or cares. Two women wear the same dress and the drama ensues.
Have you actually ever seen that happen? I have seen two women show up at a social gathering in the same outfit several times and all that happened was they complimented each other on their good taste in their choice of clothes.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:02 PM

4,507 posts, read 3,908,225 times
Quote:
Have you actually ever seen that happen? I have seen two women show up at a social gathering in the same outfit several times and all that happened was they complimented each other on their good taste in their choice of clothes.

^^^ This.

I don't dress for men.
I don't dress for women.

I dress for me.

or

I dress for the occasion.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Actually I've witnessed angst like this but it is not because it was women involved, it was because it was women with a particular social conditioning and cultural acclimatization. I have also observed that very often women are far more judgmental and catty with each other over superficialities of dress, makeup, and general appearance. But men of course are judgmental and catty with each other in their own ways, just over different things and it takes different forms. Worse, they also judge women over superficialities (and often crass superficialities) of appearance, to the point of objectifying them.

But none of this is really about how men inherently are vs women, it is about how a preponderance of men and women are socialized and taught to behave. Thankfully it is changing, largely for the good, although the fashion industry is attempting to draw men into the same vortex of marketing slime as women by selling men perfumes and convincing them that they need esoteric skin creams and hair styling products, etc.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:04 AM

3,019 posts, read 2,692,913 times
It's actually a sexist myth that women are more concerned about what others think than men.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
It's actually a sexist myth that women are more concerned about what others think than men.
I think it's largely a sexist myth but it's a bit more nuanced than that. I think also that society puts harsher and more unreasonable demands on women and therefore they have more to be concerned about. A guy, particularly in my field (IT) can get away with wearing dirty T-shirts and jeans all the time and there is nowhere near that much tolerance for women in my experience. It's the difference in reaction between "boys will be boys" and "what a ****".

Of course, where does that pressure and unequal treatment come from? Other sexist myths. So in a way you're totally correct ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism